Anyone with some Insider Info know if Darren Till is a right handed southpaw?

i like it as well. the only issue is you have to work on your left hand so it at least has some pop behind it if ur power hand is gonna be leading

For me the left hook is nice but its the straight that needs work. Thing is, the movement, right jab / hook and everything else sort of makes up for it.

but yeah, that Is the issue mostly. Gotta balance It

Toughest fight? No, I disagree. You saw what WB did to another tall lanky WW named Rory Macdonald?
Rory Is nowhere near Till on the feet. He doesn't move anywhere close to him. Doesn't have the same hips as him, doesn't have the same speed, reflexes, timing and counters as him. Rory has some hands but his movement in general is very poor and when It comes down to beating someone like WB, It's all in the feet.

All around he's just nowhere near the threat that Till is on the feet, not even close. You throw Till in a straight up boxing match with Rory as well and he'd smoke him pretty easily.

It's nothing against Rory. I'm from Vancouver as well. He's a far more well rounded fighter but on the feet it isn't close.

Rory Is nowhere near Till on the feet. He doesn't move anywhere close to him. Doesn't have the same hips as him, doesn't have the same speed, reflexes, timing and counters as him. Rory has some hands but his movement in general is very poor and when It comes down to beating someone like WB, It's all in the feet.

All around he's just nowhere near the threat that Till is on the feet, not even close. You throw Till in a straight up boxing match with Rory as well and he'd smoke him pretty easily.

It's nothing against Rory. I'm from Vancouver as well. He's a far more well rounded fighter but on the feet it isn't close.

I hear you, but I think his striking is overrated

There are those who prefer to lead with their strong hand/leg. Jerome Le Banner, former K-1 great was a notorious right handed southpaw. His lead right hook was devastating.

Does he even UFC? Honestly, he'd get torn up in Bellator.

I hear you, but I think his striking is overrated
His striking Is all in the way he moves. It's all movement. All his hips, all In the shoulders, all In his reflexes. The punches themselves he throws aren't always the prettiest from a technical standpoint but that's not always what It's about. The former Is far more Important even In straight up boxing.

He does throw some nice punches though, has a nice jab and straight left, even his hooks can be nice. He just gets sloppy It seems like.

In terms of how they match up though, I could be wrong. We'll see. WB Is a solid fighter I just don't think he's fought anyone who's been able to really counter his style on the feet. They've pretty much all been slow, flat flooted, prodding kind of guys.
All guys that he should be beating on the feet.

Regardless of how this fight goes, this is the toughest test of his MMA career.

if you are right handed why would you lead punch with your non dominant hand

I always assumed your lead hand was your jab. You set up your power shots with the jab, which is not your power hand.

South paws jab with their right hands and orthodox jabs with their left.

Doesnt Jeet Kune Do have your stance as the dominant hand as your lead?

Just curious

I am one myself and validation is always nice
When i boxed i did the same. Found the footwork to feel more natural and it always made sense to me that if im going to throw one punch(the jab), much more than other punches than i want it to b my power hand. When i started to train at the Sityodtong i had to go back to conventional because sacrificing the power in both the power hand and leg was to much.

Toughest fight? No, I disagree. You saw what WB did to another tall lanky WW named Rory Macdonald?
He fucking pimp smacked Rory lol. Rory is the most over rated fighter, other than moose, in history

When i boxed i did the same. Found the footwork to feel more natural and it always made sense to me that if im going to throw one punch(the jab), much more than other punches than i want it to b my power hand. When i started to train at the Sityodtong i had to go back to conventional because sacrificing the power in both the power hand and leg was to much.
Definitely a ton of power in the right jab, more so the right hook. I think the left just needs to developed heavily In order to balance the two.

I still train my right straight from orthodox, so If i wanna swap It's there.

Sometimes I still think about switching back but I think u gotta go with ur gut on that one

Victor Ortiz another right handed southpaw. Just depends if theyd prefer a strong lead hook I guess

I think Conor switched stances because his coach thought southpaw would be more effective.

I think Conor switched stances because his coach thought southpaw would be more effective.

Is Conor really right handed? i mean the guy only punches with the left and its got massive power. He'd be killing guys with his right hand if its his dominant one.

Is Conor really right handed? i mean the guy only punches with the left and its got massive power. He'd be killing guys with his right hand if its his dominant one.
pretty sure Conor is a genuine southpaw

I was surprised to find Jimi Manuwa and Bisping are both left handed orthodox fighters. It made more sense afterwards when rewatching some of their fights.
You can see it worked for Jimi a lot. His fight with Corey Anderson caught Corey off guard with that powerful left hook. I think, as a fighter, you should study where your opponents dominant hand comes from.

Don't some fighters use both stances 50/50? TJ Dillashaw seems comfortable in both almost like he is ambi-dextrous.

I'm a left handed orthodox fighter. I like the ferocity I can put in a leading jab. I rely on torque and hip movements to put power into an overhand right in orthodox. I also feel an uppercut from the strong hand is better if coming from the lead.

Darren Till? No idea. He comes across like a natural southpaw.

because you want to give your dominant hand the chance of express it's max power (rear hand) while the weaker one is keep lead to create interference and openings

It depent also in body built, style etc
Example i'm usually at height/range disadvantage with peoples of my weight, so i'm not going to engage jab wars or rely on the cumulative damage of fast lead punches, i've to find ways to get in close and when finally you do it you want your strong hand to be fully charged to pay back the fucking giraffe that made jabs rain on you lol

Also when you clash close, your lead hand end up suffocated by opponent's lead arm or body... got a friend who's better boxer than me and stay southpaw with his strong hand leading, but if you trap/block his right arm action just by keeping very short distance all he got are bitch punches with his rear weaker hand and get owned round after round

lead= faster, used more often, better range, get A LOT more chances
rear= more power, harder to trap, works good in close distance scrap, get tired later

One side is annoying knowing you're giving your better punch less chances of play but on the other you're keeping it for best chances

Again, it's about preference and style, and likely these should be influenced by your build/qualities

Btw as general thing i ever thought that "dominant hand" is'nt much a dramatic thing once you train a lot your weak one to do it's job... if i try to southpaw i don't feel i've a stronger lead game, i feel it's more powerful but not as fast and precise as when i let the weak hand to do it.
Also i notice trying southpaw i lose combos mindset, starting from 1-2s lol, as usually the idea is quick stab with the left and follow with an harder shot of your rear strong right

Back