Anything positive ever come from identity politics?

Smok3r

Silverback Belt
Banned
Reaction score
I know the term itself is rather broad, but I think we can all agree that the core of identity politics is the belief that certain race, religious, gender, etc. groups are oppressed.

Has anything positive ever come from this ascription by specific groups? If so, I’d love to hear some examples.

When handled properly it has given people their freedom and ability to vote. I think the term identity politics nowadays is more about being the victim and trying to silence others.

I dunno, nowadays it's more about being PC, not sticking out, or going against the grain, or thinking for yourself for that matter.

It's like people think if they don't support tranny education for elementary school children that they will be seen as something awful.

Umm, how about the entire existence of modern American conservatism and the Republican Party?

Conservatism was completely dead in the middle of the 20th century after the New Deal exposed it as nonsensical rich man's propaganda. And for three decades, all the billionaire think tank spending in the country couldn't revive interest in it.

Because GOP voters don't actually support and are massively disadvantaged by their policies on economy and government, they switched to identity politics. Without it, the GOP and American conservatism would be long-dead.

Last edited:
I know the term itself is rather broad, but I think we can all agree that the core of identity politics is the belief that certain race, religious, gender, etc. groups are oppressed.

Has anything positive ever come from this ascription by specific groups? If so, I’d love to hear some examples.
The end of Jim Crow laws, and the integration of public schools?

Women getting the right to vote?

Gay marriage?

Etc.

Votes.

Of course identity politics had it's place because at one point we had laws and mores that hindered certain groups, so it made sense to, at first, correct the problem, and you can't correct the problem without acknowledging these groups.

Part of the problem as I see it is that a lot of people don't want to concede this first point and claim that affirmative action was always wrong. There is a second group that doesn't want to concede that this was only a temporary correction and at some point we should begin to treat all groups equally, otherwise you end up endorsing equity.

Then there are the ignoramuses who want to apply identity politics at the individual level to justify their bigotry. These are the truly problematic people. You can find these people making WR threads daily.

I'm sure for a broad definition, good has come from identity politics.
I think the most obvious example would be the self affirmative nature of it.

I don't think identity politics has to do with being oppressed. It's more about advancing the interests of whatever group you belong to. Sort of like a tribal competition. Oppression narratives can be used to advance perceived group interests which we see a lot of today with the oppression olympics but that is more of a rational and/or strategy.

Then there are the ignoramuses who want to apply identity politics at the individual level to justify their bigotry. These are the truly problematic people. You can find these people making WR threads daily.
giphy.gif

You made up a definition that is BS and ran with it.

I agree it’s almost never a good thing but you’re dishonestly representing a vague term to bash progressives. It’s annoying how right wingers are not aware that they participate in it.

Lol someone must’ve missed the 1960s in history class.

This is a such a Ripskater moronic thread. Oh wait the TS is Ripskater under one of his 2 new accounts

The end of Jim Crow laws, and the integration of public schools?

Women getting the right to vote?

Gay marriage?

Etc.
Demanding equal opportunity for certain groups isn’t identity politics. Something like Affirmative Action or Marxist-Feminist policies are more your identity politics. Your examples are more just correcting injustices.

Ummm, how about the entire existence of the modern American conservatism and the Republican Party?

Conservatism was completely dead in the middle of the 20th century after the New Deal exposed it as reductive and nonsensical rich man's propaganda. And for three decades, all the billionaire think tank spending in the country couldn't revive interest in it.

Because GOP voters don't actually support and are massively disadvantaged by their policies on economy and government, they switched to identity politics. Without it, the GOP and American conservatism would be long-dead.
/thread

Next?

Demanding equal opportunity for certain groups isn’t identity politics. Something like Affirmative Action or Marxist-Feminist policies are more your identity politics. Your examples are more just correcting injustices.

Identity politics is just voting based on identity rather than policy. When people like @Devout Pessimist talk about voting for politicians who support policy agendas they disagree with because they feel that actors (?) are hostile to their personal identities, that's identity politics. It's bad because what elections are actually about is policy, and identity politics opens the door to policies that most people agree are bad. Like, there wasn't a big clamoring in 2016 for America to borrow more money so we can afford a tax cut for rich heirs, but it happened anyway.

Back