"Apartment Patty" and similar stories of alleged racism are nonsense and need to stop

Hmm...did you see the initial part of our conversation? I'm doing the opposite of implying that he's wrong. I'm trying to show how stupid it is for ask for evidence of another person's internal biases.

I followed the conversation. I think you unwittingly made his point by acknowledging that he also can't know.

You expect me to believe your parents are racist against themselves? Look up the actual definition of racism because that doesn't make sense at all.

Several other people are trying to explain a very basic concept to you, so I hope you figure this out soon. You just gotta think about this honestly and not as if you're trying to beat me in a debate or something.

Last edited:
Because you're married to a black man doesn't mean shit. There are a lot of black cops that abuse minorities and are racist.

Racial profiling happens all the time from non-black people - all the time.

If a cop is profiling I don't automatically believe he is a racist. He/She is probably just trying to do their job in heavy crime areas which isn't easy. It's weird that you say "black cops that abuse minorities". Isn't the black cop also a minority? I don't' know how these black cops became cops in the first place considering how they apparently view themselves as inferior.

I followed the conversation. I think you unwittingly made his point by acknowledging that he also can't know.

I never acknowledged that he couldn't know. I pointed out that he has no evidence as to how he knows. Evidence isn't the only form of knowledge. He achnowledged this when he said that he knew through logic rather than evidence.

Which is why it was dumb of him to ask for evidence in the first place. I'm waiting for him to realize that.

That's only the 1st definition.

The 2nd definition is the belief that some races are inferior/superior to other races based on characteristics specific to the races.

So one can be racist against one's own race.
I deal with this stuff in my research very frequently. Transformative racisim was prescriptive for native boarding schools, so the classes and curriculums included a lot of stuff about innate indian inferiority. It was particularly creepy in the girl's curriculums, which included courses on "home psychology" to help civilized rearing of children naturally racially inclined toward barbarism and sloth.

If a cop is profiling I don't automatically believe he is a racist. He/She is probably just trying to do their job in heavy crime areas which isn't easy. It's weird that you say "black cops that abuse minorities". Isn't the black cop also a minority? I don't' know how these black cops became cops in the first place considering how they apparently view themselves as inferior.

If you go by your criteria of what constitutes "racist incident," almost nothing will be shown to be racist. Even blatantly racist incidents.

So in this instance, the only way this would be considered racist is if she blatantly said "we don't allow n*gg**r" in here! That's basically what you're saying.

Well real life doesn't happen that way.

Real racists don't go around announcing their racism to everyone - because society frowns upon it.

Several other people are trying to explain a very basic concept to you, so I hope you figure this out soon. You honestly just gotta think about this honestly and not as if you're trying to beat me in a debate or something.

This thread is about how it's stupid to assume racism and you all are trying to get me to also assume that people are racist against themselves and their spouses? Ridiculous. You can give up now because I'm not going along with that nonsense.

Shouldn't she be called Busybody Patty? I hate those type of folks. Mind your own business

If you go by your criteria of what constitutes "racist incident," almost nothing will be shown to be racist. Even blatantly racist incidents.

Real racists don't go around announcing their racism to everyone - because society frowns upon it.

I'm wanting actual evidence instead of witch hunts. You know, innocent until proven guilty. At least listen to the other side first.

I never acknowledged that he couldn't know. I pointed out that he has no evidence as to how he knows. Evidence isn't the only form of knowledge. He achnowledged this when he said that he knew through logic rather than evidence.

Which is why it was dumb of him to ask for evidence in the first place. I'm waiting for him to realize that.

From where I'm looking, both of you are asses for assuming.

But I disagree that you can know anything without evidence.

I deal with this stuff in my research very frequently. Transformative racisim was prescriptive for native boarding schools, so the classes and curriculums included a lot of stuff about innate indian inferiority. It was particularly creepy in the girl's curriculums, which included courses on "home psychology" to help civilized rearing of children naturally racially inclined toward barbarism and sloth.
Yeah, I always forget how aggressive they were with Native American psychological conditioning.

Yeah, I always forget how aggressive they were with Native American psychological conditioning.
It was intense and highly systemic. The goal of boarding schools as a matter of function was to process as many students as possible, so large portions of the young native population were rinsed through. Part of the reason native society today has so many problems is because it was forcefully built at least partially on a broken platform. The self loathing and internal racism created huge identity issues that rolled together with scarcity of resources to drive people away from who they were/are. In my gradma's place & generation, for example, you definitely tried to get away with passing for white if at all possible. And that still goes on to some degree. I've seen it many times in the kids I work with.

If you believe her, can you explain why she called the cops after he watched him key into his apartment and he gave her his name?

Being petty. I didn't say she was the good guy and he was the bad guy, but I believe her reasoning was valid. What she initially did was not wrong. She saw someone she didn't know trying to enter the building she lives in. I'm not going to vilify her for showing concern. Was it because he was black? Maybe, but jumping to that conclusion as a default is exhausting and makes us look like constant victims and really doesn't help anything IMO. Again, if people just communicated with each other with a bit of respect, none of this would be an issue.

I'm wanting actual evidence instead of witch hunts. You know, innocent until proven guilty. At least listen to the other side first.

So if this lady was only concerned about the building rules and her safety, how come she followed him every step of the way, including the elevator and followed him to his apartment, saw him open his door with his own key and STILL called the cops when it was obvious he lived there?

Why did she do all that?

On top of all that, she wasn't sent to jail or anything. She didn't go to court where they have to "prove" anything. She just got fired from her job, which her employer is 100% free to do for any reason. In this case, whether it was racist or not, it gave the IMPRESSION of a racist incident. It's bad optics and bad for business. So they fired her.

They could have fired her for this even if it was a white person she did this too.

Last edited:

I have absolutely no problem with conceding that an unknown woman may be treated with the same suspicion.

However, considering that most crime and violence is committed by men, it would make sense that women would be more "prejudiced" against men in this regard, than the opposite.

This treatment is something that all men are accustomed to, as a result of the greater level of physicality that they are capable of possessing. When they walk into a new environment, their "threat level" will be estimated by those that they are unknown to.

But when it happens across race lines, the motive is automatically assumed to be race-based, rather than simply a result of the tensions that exist between a physically stronger male and the relatively weaker woman.

By introducing the racial element, and hammering home the point that one must not be suspicious of a person of another race, as it is an example of racism, we inadvertently foster situations where women become defenseless and vulnerable against the people that they are not allowed to be "racist" (or rather, suspicious) towards. In a top-down controlled society like my own, it is especially troubling, and results in unfortunate and needless situations as a result of naiveté and blind faith into society's new imposed standards, as well as the fear of punishment for acting differently.

It was intense and highly systemic. The goal of boarding schools as a matter of function was to process as many students as possible, so large portions of the young native population were rinsed through. Part of the reason native society today has so many problems is because it was forcefully built at least partially on a broken platform. The self loathing and internal racism created huge identity issues that rolled together with scarcity of resources to drive people away from who they were/are. In my gradma's place & generation, for example, you definitely tried to get away with passing for white if at all possible. And that still goes on to some degree. I've seen it many times in the kids I work with.

We'll run the risk of derailing this thread but you have to wonder. To what extent did this systematic attempt to convince the members of other races that they were inherently inferior impact the ongoing racial difficulties of the nation?

Did the white parent just go when asked or did he say like this guy.

You know the answer but don't care because of your view that racism causes all problems when it's between any white and black people.

The lady called the cops cause she didnt like the way he was packing his things.

Read the article.

So the best course of action is assume racism and make it a national story right? Also leave out of the original story that this lady had married a black man. That isn't relevant or anything.
No, I don't think it is relevant at all. White folks have always had a tendency to single out specific members of minority races as being OK while maintaining prejudices, it's the classic "I can't be racist, I have a black friend" thing.

I don't think these prejudices are always malicious or even conscious, I mean have you ever heard a white person compliment a minority with something like "Oh he's so articulate and well-spoken. Did you know he has a college degree?". They honestly feel that they're being kind, but the unconscious subtext is that they really think most minorities tend towards being uncivilized and ignorant. It's human nature perhaps, and the best we can do I think is to be honest with ourselves and each other and recognize that these prejudices exist.

Whether or not this or any particular story is worthy of national interest or indicative of racism is debatable but to ignore the history of mistrust between races, particularly between blacks and whites in the US due to our unique history, is spectacularly naïve.

From where I'm looking, both of you are asses for assuming.

But I disagree that you can know anything without evidence.

..."I think, therefore I am." This is pretty fundamental to epistemology.

That's fine if you think I'm an asshole for assuming, but interpersonal communication break down immediately if, as you seem to be suggesting, one cannot be correct about another person's internal thoughts based on said person's behavior. I mean, have you considered the possibility that you raped everyone woman you've ever had sex with? Or can we assume that their behavior indicated the sex was consensual? Would I be an asshole for assuming you're not a rapist?

Back