Apollo Creed’s trainer

the ambush

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
While character studying Rocky Balboa and his traits they reveal he’s a southpaw boxer. Apollo’s trainer knew this of Rocky and was very cognizant from the beginning issuing a warning to the champion. “He’s a southpaw. I don’t want you messing around with a southpaw they do everything backwards.” Scientific Techniques dated right there in 1976.

latest

Last edited:
Is that the same trainer that told Balboa to "throw in the damn towel"?

That was another piece of great advice.

Is that the same trainer that told Balboa to "throw in the damn towel"?

That was another piece of great advice.

Yeah he was a hell of a trainer. Rock even brought in him on board for his own training camp in part four.

RIP Apollo
RIP Mick

Th

e actor that played Creed's trainer beat Stanley Kubrick in a game of chess while on the set of the Shining, Kubrick got pretty upset as he was a good player.

I love rewatching these movies for nostalgia and seeing how the stories/character arcs progress. You will pick up on all the small fine details over time, too. The first 4 movies really set the bar high even though there was not much to offer after that.

In the fight against Drago he kept yelling at Rocky "brace yourself!"

Whatever it meant, it sounded like horrible boxing advice.

When I'm out drinking with friends, if someone is pissed off about something and keeps going on about it, to defuse the situation and lighten the mood I repeat this line.

actually his son is also an excellent trainer as his best fighter ranked #1 in the world was about to whoop up on pretty ricky conlan but like a bitch conlan broke wheelers nose at the weigh in with a sucka punch!

I love rewatching these movies for nostalgia and seeing how the stories/character arcs progress. You will pick up on all the small fine details over time, too. The first 4 movies really set the bar high even though there was not much to offer after that.
I enjoyed 5 more then I did 4. Ivan Drago is basically a villain from a Saturday morning cartoon.

Th

e actor that played Creed's trainer beat Stanley Kubrick in a game of chess while on the set of the Shining, Kubrick got pretty upset as he was a good player.
he wasn't in the shining was he? are you sure you aren't talking scatman crothers? either way, it's impressive, kubrick had a pretty high iq. i guesse he was in it, i can't remember him and i saw the movie fairly recently, i watch too many movies though.

Last edited:
he wasn't in the shining was he? are you sure you aren't talking scatman crothers? either way, it's impressive, kubrick had a pretty high iq. i guesse he was in it, i can't remember him and i saw the movie fairly recently, i watch too many movies though.
He played the guy who crothers contacts from the hotel room to get a vehicle to get up to the hotel.

I enjoyed 5 more then I did 4. Ivan Drago is basically a villain from a Saturday morning cartoon.

By the same logic Clubber Lang was a boxing bully straight from comic book pages.

he should have quit after the third one, there were good things about each of them though. In creed, i think sly made up for his loss of physicality by better acting, the best acting job i've seen from him. At this point, i just see those rocky's because of sentimentality, not because i expect them to be great. i'll see creed 2 if it comes out

By the same logic Clubber Lang was a boxing bully straight from comic book pages.
the third was really good but I think after the first two there was a huge dropoff in the quality of story and they took on a more ridiculous air. four was not a hit at the time I don't think, five wasn't either I don't believe. One thing that kinda bothered me about the series was how inconsistent rocky's speech and demeanor was, in 1 and 2 he was a streetguy who couldn't really talk all that well, in 3 he all the sudden became more articulate and by five, he was a slurring streetguy again. Sly had issues with people confusing him with the character though, he hated how people thought (and think) that he's stupid.

the third was really good but I think after the first two there was a huge dropoff in the quality of story and they took on a more ridiculous air. four was not a hit at the time I don't think, five wasn't either I don't believe. One thing that kinda bothered me about the series was how inconsistent rocky's speech and demeanor was, in 1 and 2 he was a streetguy who couldn't really talk all that well, in 3 he all the sudden became more articulate and by five, he was a slurring streetguy again. Sly had issues with people confusing him with the character though, he hated how people thought (and think) that he's stupid.

Well, he did finally have money, fame, and a loving, healthy wife.

I think on a more subtextual note it was supposed to show that Rocky the character had become "civilised" and refined and didn't have the hunger that he had in the first two movies. His training was a circus act and he summarily got whipped and had to go back to the basics with Creed and his trainer to relearn that ferocity.

Kind of like how in the sixth movie he looked like a broken down old man until he started training strength and explosion to fight Mason Dixon.

Well, he did finally have money, fame, and a loving, healthy wife.

I think on a more subtextual note it was supposed to show that Rocky the character had become "civilised" and refined and didn't have the hunger that he had in the first two movies. His training was a circus act and he summarily got whipped and had to go back to the basics with Creed and his trainer to relearn that ferocity.

Kind of like how in the sixth movie he looked like a broken down old man until he started training strength and explosion to fight Mason Dixon.
maybe, but I think stallone the man was undergoing changes too. i've seen interviews of him in the early years and he's softspoken and sensitive, by the mid eighties he was pretty egotistical. the director of the first rocky has stated that also. i think maybe he was trying to revamp his image, even today, people think he's a dummy which for a man of his talent and intelligence has to be frustrating. he went through a phase where he was trying to play a smarter guy, wearing glasses and such but the public wasn't really buying it. He's stated a million times how his speech issue is from forceps lacerating some nerves during his delivery but people see what they want to see. anyway, it's an inconsistency, not a big deal but noticeable. the only fighter I can think of off hand who actually became bourgeois like that was sugar ray leonard, he was pretty normal in the early years but he became a pretentious prima donna after his first retirement. It was like he wanted to be considered better than all the other fighters.

Back