Apps for working the Arms

gocubs1815

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm having a great using the App 5x5 Stronglifts. I've seen a lot of results in just 5 months. I'm feeling muscle definition and my back pain has gone away now that I've strengthened my core better. Not to mention the fat burning

Stronglifts only has 5 exercises, and only 2 of them really work the arms (bench press and overhead press). Bent over row is more for the upper back than anything. I was doing bicep-tricep supersets off a bodybuilding article, but without a structured plan I've already strained my tricep a couple of times.

Are there any apps like Stronglifts that focus on arm workouts? Something that keeps track of how much I lift or tells me what I need to lift/rep?

Excel/a notebook/a log here is a great way of keeping track of workouts. Find an arm program online, plug some numbers and you’re off to the races.

You don't need very much triceps isolation if you are pressing 3 times a week. In fact, too much isolation will hinder your progress on the main lifts. I would only add a couple sets of skulls/pushdowns if your tris are not already sore from the pressing.

Biceps can easily be trained 2-4 times a week, especially on SL5x5. Pick one or two curls variations, and train them when they're fully recovered from the previous session.

Find an app for the Armstrong pull-up program.

or get out some NativeScript and write your own app.

Just subscribe to the StrongLifts pay app and do the assistance work it gives you. Or do what I do and just fit in a few sets of chin ups and curls with your workouts and cal it good.

The secret to working out your arms is not worrying about weight. A lot of times lighter is better since you can isolate the muscle more and get more of a mind muscle connection. I find it helpful to differentiate between training muscles and training movements. When I am training movements (bench, squat, etc) I will focus on the weight on the bar and getting it up. When I am training muscles (rear delts, lats, rhomboids, arms) then I keep the weight lighter and focus and using that muscle and go for more reps. Since weight is less important I think an app to track progress is less helpful.

Training arms is the time for all of us to be the bodybuilder we secretly want to be. So chase that pump just like Arnold. Personally I like tricep rope pushdowns for 5 x10-20 at a decently light weight. For biceps I have been trying poundstone curls ala Paul Carter of Lift-Run-Bang. The basic premise is pick up an empty 45lb bar and try to get 100 reps in one set. I have never gotten close but I keep trying to add one more rep when I am being consistent. If I am upset with the number of reps I get I will put the bar down, count to ten, and then do another set trying to get half of the first (Some classic rest pause) after that my arms are fried and I call it a day.

Put a timer on 10 minutes and see how many you can bling out in however many sets you got in you:

Dips
Chin Ups

If you can, use parallel bars for dips and keep your elbows tucked in, so the movement puts more stress on the triceps vs pecs. Depending on how advanced you are, you might have to add a bit of weight. If you need to add weight to the Chin Up in order to make it challenging enough for this wo, you wouldn't be asking about arm isolation movements.

Obviously you're going to have to leave a few in the tank on the starting sets. Try to rest as little as possible between sets, definitely not the standard 3-5 minutes.

Do that for 12 weeks and try to beat the total number of reps every week.

All the apps you need for this are already on your phone (timer + note pad), and these movements will have much better carry over to your main lifts than a tricep extension or an EZ bar curl.

Last edited:
The secret to working out your arms is not worrying about weight. A lot of times lighter is better since you can isolate the muscle more and get more of a mind muscle connection. I find it helpful to differentiate between training muscles and training movements. When I am training movements (bench, squat, etc) I will focus on the weight on the bar and getting it up. When I am training muscles (rear delts, lats, rhomboids, arms) then I keep the weight lighter and focus and using that muscle and go for more reps. Since weight is less important I think an app to track progress is less helpful.

Training arms is the time for all of us to be the bodybuilder we secretly want to be. So chase that pump just like Arnold. Personally I like tricep rope pushdowns for 5 x10-20 at a decently light weight. For biceps I have been trying poundstone curls ala Paul Carter of Lift-Run-Bang. The basic premise is pick up an empty 45lb bar and try to get 100 reps in one set. I have never gotten close but I keep trying to add one more rep when I am being consistent. If I am upset with the number of reps I get I will put the bar down, count to ten, and then do another set trying to get half of the first (Some classic rest pause) after that my arms are fried and I call it a day.
But wouldnt that just be like when military does a 100 push ups? Theyre never big but just high endurance and lean.

Back