Arabs buying foreign wrestlers to represent their country

How come a guy can become world champion for one country and then compete for another? It's just ridiculous.
In soccer once you represent one team is over you aren't allowed to change anymore.

Coaches don't provide the same role models as medal winning athletes. The propaganda you speak of is exactly what will help develop the sport in the country. I also don't see a problem with a country wanting to be relevant on the world stage as long as they don't go around breaking international law.

I think both you and I both largely agree on what is happening, the difference is that you view it as a bad thing, and I don't see a problem with it.

its cheating. maybe you have no pride or something but here its a pride thing. u dont steal wrestlers from other nations and then act like you're a wrestling nation. its pathetic. im sorry you don't get this i truly am.

How come a guy can become world champion for one country and then compete for another? It's just ridiculous.
In soccer once you represent one team is over you aren't allowed to change anymore.

this guy gets it.

They represent a country not a race.

grasp what? that stupid little nations with money want to stay relative in a sport they have no business being involved in? wrestling has a looong historical past in Persia and greater Iran nations. They want to compete thats fine get their own citzens to compete (LOL obviously they can't) but going around buying a bunch of Russians that are not even arabs dont even speak arabic and don't even live or train there to represent their country is freaking Foxcatcher level of patheticness and if you can't recognize that there's no point in continuing this conversation.
So wrestling shouldn’t expand beyond its “traditional” countries? Well watch it disappear. No seriously watch it disappear and be ready for more “I don’t know how it happened” instead taking responsibility

And they are working to get their citizens competing, it takes time. Like anyone who’s actually developed wrestlers and wrestling up from scratch can tell you. Should wrestling stay only either a rural or rich suburban mostly white sport in the US.. not actually try to expand more into urban areas.. since according to your logic they have no “traditional” business being involved in it..

And since you are acting more obtuse than you actually are let me explain the political side.. wrestling is not quite yet safe from the IOC... at all. And the more countries that medal, the better it looks to the IOC. See wrestling doesn’t have enough political pull to be a sport that gets away with only a select few countries meddling every time. Additionally places like South America who have brought in coaches have gotten them because it was a political move by Iran or a “soft power” way to build relationships and build influence to counter the Russians politically.

And yes wrestling needs the Olympics or it’s fundinf and status as a sport is at risk around the world. Call me crazy but I don’t think wrestling should only be a Rich kid club sport and any chance to grow it is good

So wrestling shouldn’t expand beyond its “traditional” countries? blablabla

it can but poaching wrestlers from other nations is not the way to do it. hire a wrestling staff, start with youngsters and take it from there.

If the wrestlers are representing a kingdom not a nation why should it matter if it's someone the king hired or someone who was born his slave?

Soccer has pro leagues.

This is as close as you get to being a pro in wrestling.

You're comparing apples to oranges

I have yet to see a thread from the OP where he's not mad about something strange - like, straight up shaking his fist at the sky.

Importing wrestlers
Getting beat up by new dudes at his grappling club
etc.

it can but poaching wrestlers from other nations is not the way to do it. hire a wrestling staff, start with youngsters and take it from there.
I love how you conveniently ignored the rest of my post because you don’t have an actual answer. It’s ok, be naive

its hard to debate a group that has no sense of pride, or sense of tact in their body. if you do not recognize the lunacy of poaching athletes, giving them money and citizenship just so they can compete for your country there is no point in continuing this thread. ill bet you are Arabs from countries that poach athletes from other countries. pathetic.

its hard to debate a group that has no sense of pride, or sense of tact in their body. if you do not recognize the lunacy of poaching athletes, giving them money and citizenship just so they can compete for your country there is no point in continuing this thread. ill bet you are Arabs from countries that poach athletes from other countries. pathetic.
No I’m actually Mercian, live in the Midwest, have probably been involved in actual wrestling and coaching, no being a dad coach doesn’t count, as long or longer than you. Let’s break down how naive you are
  1. Are you actually going to address the very rational and practical reasons I gave it’s not a problem? Or is that too rational
  2. Lots of countries including non Arab ones have “poached” athletes, not sure why that’s getting your goat
  3. Actually describe how it is “lunacy” I’m waiting. Do not use jingoistic babble either actually present a strong argument
  4. Sense of pride? Are you one of those guys who gets mad at pro athletes because “you would do it for way less” because you aren’t or weren’t good enough to compete for money
  5. In what way does it actually hurt anything
  6. Actually address the political reasons i presented,people like you are why participation is down and it almost got cut from the Olympics
I’m sorry the world isn’t like your high school sports memories

Translate “ I bet you have a different background than me and thus a different opinion...”
Why is that pathetic , people in different parts of the world have different circumstances and incentives so they do things differently. You can still have your opinion while taking a moment to understand anothe cultures perspective.

Why even start this thread if you don’t actually want to acknowledge an idea other than your own? Was the ideal outcome that 10 other people would post “I know right?!” ?

Last edited:
No I’m actually Mercian, live in the Midwest, have probably been involved in actual wrestling and coaching, no being a dad coach doesn’t count, as long or longer than you. Let’s break down how naive you are
  1. Are you actually going to address the very rational and practical reasons I gave it’s not a problem? Or is that too rational
  2. Lots of countries including non Arab ones have “poached” athletes, not sure why that’s getting your goat
  3. Actually describe how it is “lunacy” I’m waiting. Do not use jingoistic babble either actually present a strong argument
  4. Sense of pride? Are you one of those guys who gets mad at pro athletes because “you would do it for way less” because you aren’t or weren’t good enough to compete for money
  5. In what way does it actually hurt anything
  6. Actually address the political reasons i presented,people like you are why participation is down and it almost got cut from the Olympics
I’m sorry the world isn’t like your high school sports memories

Fine. I'll take the bait.

1. I didn't read your ramblings

2. because its cultural appropriation. you bring in an athlete that another country has nurtured and trained. you bring him in and you put your flag on him and pretend that he's one of you a product of your nation when he's not.

3. its kinda crazy that you seem to have no understanding that buying athletes to represent your country as if they are from you country is shady af. i dont know what it is. maybe too much football without a helmet.

4. not sure what this is a reference to i rarely/almost never watch club sports. i only watch international ones.

5. well it hurts proper nations like the USA, IRAN, Cuba you know countries that don't poach athletes. Every nation is allowed ONE wrestler in each weightclass. and all of a sudden a weightclass has 10 russians representing 10 different nations.

6. the reason wrestling almost got cut or will in the future is because its a manly sport, a testosterone driven sport and in the west you have this fruity attitude towards being a real man, its basically illegal. its everywhere in your society. toxic masculinity! and what not. THATS the reason wrestling is going to be cut. jumping up and down on a trampoline like finochio is fine. being a real man is not. this is an issue for you in the west to sort out.

Fine. I'll take the bait.

1. I didn't read your ramblings

2. because its cultural appropriation. you bring in an athlete that another country has nurtured and trained. you bring him in and you put your flag on him and pretend that he's one of you a product of your nation when he's not.

3. its kinda crazy that you seem to have no understanding that buying athletes to represent your country as if they are from you country is shady af. i dont know what it is. maybe too much football without a helmet.

4. not sure what this is a reference to i rarely/almost never watch club sports. i only watch international ones.

5. well it hurts proper nations like the USA, IRAN, Cuba you know countries that don't poach athletes. Every nation is allowed ONE wrestler in each weightclass. and all of a sudden a weightclass has 10 russians representing 10 different nations.

6. the reason wrestling almost got cut or will in the future is because its a manly sport, a testosterone driven sport and in the west you have this fruity attitude towards being a real man, its basically illegal. its everywhere in your society. toxic masculinity! and what not. THATS the reason wrestling is going to be cut. jumping up and down on a trampoline like finochio is fine. being a real man is not. this is an issue for you in the west to sort out.
The fact you think that’s number 6 and are overcompensating so much says everything. It wasn’t a ramble but you’re too dumb

Do you know for a fact that Adam Batirov didn't relocate to Bahrain on his own terms? And he may not be Arab but he is Muslim. A Muslim wrestler relocated to an Islamic country and is getting a chance to make a nice living training, coaching, and competing far past the point he would've been able to do in Russia. What is the problem?

When a wrestler switches countries they have to accept a 2 year hiatus. Im not sure what the other parameters might be.

Do you know for a fact that Adam Batirov didn't relocate to Bahrain on his own terms? And he may not be Arab but he is is Muslim. A Muslim wrestler relocated to an Islamic country and is getting a chance to make a nice living training, coaching, and competing far past the point he would've been able to do in Russia. What is the problem.

besides you being clueless?

The fact you think that’s number 6 and are overcompensating so much says everything. It wasn’t a ramble but you’re too dumb

gets owned, resorts to ad hominem attacks.

Back