Araj's Training Log: Starting Strength and Jiu Jitsu

Well... NAGA today was ok.
I definitely felt like I was way undersized for the 160-170lbs division, and that my cardio was absolute dogshit.

I won my first match by loop choke after being in control for most of it.

Second and third matches I was just dead. Lost by sub in the second to the guy who won the division, then my third place match started about 30 seconds later. I was completely dead tired and the other guy was constantly attacking, and I ended up getting caught with an armlock off a triangle.

Embarrassing video to follow.

Nov 16th, 2014

Squats 3x5 at 245

Bench 3x5 at 175

DL 1x5 at 265

On Tuesday I did 3x5 squats at 250 but my knee started to bug me so after my third set I just stopped and went home.

Thursday, I did:

3x5 squats at 245

3x5 bench at 180

1x5 DL at 275

Went to Renzo's for John Danaher's morning nogi class (on 3 hours of sleep. everything hurts :( )

The focus of the class was passing butterfly guard from standing.

First technique, you have one leg in one out, push on the shoulder and the bicep to force their torso backwards, as they post their arms and scoot backwards, you follow them with your outside foot and pass to KOB.

Second technique, rolling kimura. You're pushing the shoulder and bicep but they are well based and don't fall backwards, so you slide your bicep hand down to their wrist, then forward roll into the kimura. Slide your knee in behind their back, hook their arm with your other leg. Pass the arm over to theother side. If they do nothing, reverse triangle. If they turn into you, regular triangle.

Third technique, x-pass. Fourth technique, shin pass. Use your elbow to hold down the knee while you step over.

Fifth technique, low single.

Then worked butterfly passing from the knees with one of John's black belts.

Major notes: 3 directions of head pressure on knee slide: ear to ear, bend neck sideways, shoulder on chin.

Tuesday, 11/25

Squats 3x5 at 250

Bench 3x5 at 185

DL 1x5 at 275

Been slacking lately. Went for a while without lifting due to schoolwork and exams, then got a nasty stomach flu two days before I was supposed to compete in a sub only tournament :(.

Anyway, had my first (abbreviated) lifting session in quite some time yesterday.

Squats 3x5 at 225
Bench warmups then 1 set of 5 at 175,

then the gym closed. damn.

Resurrecting this log.

I'm now training at Unity Jiu Jitsu in NYC under Murilo Santana, and I'm hoping to get more into jiujitsu competitions.

I competed today in the NY Open, winning my first match by loop choke and losing my second by triangle, to a guy who had a first round bye.

Need to work on my aggressiveness, my endurance, and most importantly, my strength.

Here's my first match:

This evening I got back in the gym and started lifting again, after a 2 month hiatus.

Squats 185
Bench 135
Deadlift 225

Taking it easy on the lifting for now, but will accelerate into it quickly

Wednesday, April 15th

Jiujitsu- breaking closed guard by standing, then a pressure pass with the same side knee through and the other leg on the shoulder, then a kneebar when they resist the pass.
Some hard rolling afterwards.

Thursday, April 16th
Jiujitsu- single leg, guard pull to single leg, guard pull to ankle pick.
X guard sweeps: forward, backward, back take.
Drill setting up x guard from spider.
Rolling. Working on back attacks, spider guard.

After jiujitsu I went to lift:

3x5 squat at 195
3x5 ohp at 75
5x3 power cleans at 95

Saturday

Lifting, then jiujitsu right after.

Squats 3x5 at 205
Bench 3x5 at 145
DL 1x5 at 245

Then jiujitsu, where we did turtle attacks and rolling backtakes.

After class I reviewed heel hooks and single legs with some people.

Sunday
more lifting
Squats 3x3 at 185
Bench 1x5 at 155
OHP 3x5 at 75
Power cleans just worked form with the bar

Monday night
Nogi Jiujitsu (Columbia)
-Reviewed Russian Ties to Single Leg
-Reviewed quick armlock and triangle and butterfly sweep from butterfly, all starting from Russian tie
-Reviewed heelhooks, inverted heelhooks, sparring focusing on these

Tuesday Night
Gi Jiujitsu (Unity)
-Flower sweep to armbar. Detail: keep your bottom leg straight, drive with your hips. On the armbar, post your hand by his face, not just on the ground. This stops him from sliding away.
-Submission escapes (armlock, triangle, omoplata)
-Rolling (6 rounds of 5 minutes each, 30 sec rest in between)

Wednesday night lifting

squats 3x5 215

bench 3x5 155

dl 1x5 265

Gi jiujitsu at Unity

Class started with basic running and shrimping, then partnered up and drilled 10 finishes from guard, mount, and back, emphasis on speed. I worked on armbars from guard and mount and bow and arrow from the back.

Then we reviewed single legs, fake guard pull to single leg, and fake guard pull to ankle pick. I need to work on driving with my head on the ankle pick.

Then we did some live training of the x-guard pull from spider against resistance.

Then six 5 min rounds of hard rolling, during which I went against some really tough purple belt competitors.

Friday, April 24th
Lifting

Squats 3x5 at 225
OHP 3x5 at 85
Power Cleans 5x3 at 95

Saturday, April 25th

Nogi jiujitsu at Columbia
Went over spinning to the back, and then rolling backtakes from sidemount, turtle, and halfguard, and also from standing vs butterfly sweep and from 3/4 mount.

After class, did some leg lock sparring and reviewed inverted heel hook finishes.

Monday 4/27

Nogi at Columbia

Class focused on straight ankle locks:
-from top position, quasi-leg drag to "shelf", sit to ashi garami.
-finishing details: clamp elbow to your side to get outside twisting pressure. Extend your back all the way, take the slack out of the joint. Drop your forehead to the floor.

-When you do the above and the guy tries to hop over your outside leg. Cross over to double outside ashi garami to prevent this. He will try to roll. Follow him, spread knees, arch back to finish with your forehead on the mat.

-Side control, when the guy puts his knee in. Shelf it on your hip, sit back for a cross-body ankle lock.

-Also available from here: the inverted heel hook Renzo showed a couple months ago.

Rolling, focusing on heel hooks. Lots of leg lock battles, and I had some good passes chained with inverted heel hooks.

Then I went to the gym for a bit of lifting.

Squats 3x5 225

Bench 4, 5, 5 155

Tuesday 4/28

Gi Jiujitsu at Unity
-Review of single legs
-Review of armbar/triangle/omoplata escapes
-X-guard pull to DLR to back
-X-guard pull to RDLR to x guard technical standup

Wednesday 4/29

Gi Jiujitsu at Columbia
-Tai Otoshi setups
-X guard to the back
-X guard to head out the back to sweep to leg drag

Thursday 4/30

Lifting
Squats 5, 5, 4 at 230 (form starting to breakdown, GMing the weight)
-Someone suggested a new form cue that I started implementing- push back against the bar.
Squats 3, 3 at 205

Bench 150x5, 2x5 at 160
-Weirdness where I accidentally loaded the wrong amount for my first set.

DL 1x3 at 265
Bar was super slippery, need to bring chalk next time.

Weird and terrible lifting day. Nogi jiujitsu tomorrow.

I'm signed up for Grappler's Quest in NJ on June 6th. Gonna do nogi.

Back