Arcade 1Up

90 50

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Anybody have one of these yet?
Kid saw one at Khols, but they had the 12 game centipede one that didn’t have the games we would really play on it and thinking about getting the Streetfighter or Rampage edition for him for Christmas.

I know some common complaints are they are short even with the optional riser, but he’s 5, so height for an arcade cabinet for him will be about right.

We had been talking about building one at one point, and some search results show guys modding them with ras pi’s etc so it might be a decent starting off point when he gets board with the games on it?

Thoughts?

Or stop being lazy and get the skill saw out and build a cabinet lol.

https://www.arcade1up.com/

header-graphic.png

@Lionel Mandrake

Tag not coming up. Guess he changed his name. I haven't hated any single change to our policy as much as the allowance of name-changes to Plats.

just download mame my dude.

also, play third strike. it's a good game.

just download mame my dude.

also, play third strike. it's a good game.

If I got one of these, the plan would be to eventually add on a ras pi for emulation machine or even a super cheap pc for it instead of the pi.

Running emulation on my pc for games I don’t think would be as fun with my little one as playing on a cabinet

We go to local arcades at least once a month , he loves playing in arcades and when he saw this he wanted it.

Just trying to gauge how crappy they are, and if there is future use case with it.

The vid I posted they changed out the sticks and buttons, it it lasts a year or so and we modify it later cool.

They are 299, with materials I think I’d be hard pressed to build a base cabinet cheaper, and would be very time consuming.

So my thoughts and theory was if the cabinet itself wasn’t total crap, we could build onto it later with adding games and changing buttons etc.

Looking the cabinet choices over I have a feeling this thing is gonna flop.

Some stores have the 12-1 cabinet, some have the rampage or pac man or steet fighter.

It seems each cabinet has ONE stand out game to play, from a marketing perspective it seems that they want people to buy more than one to have little arcades In a game room, but objectively it seeems a lot more might come to the conclusion I’m coming to , that I can’t be pick one since I only want to buy one and none of them stand out enough with games offered to choose

So it seems, IF my son keeps wanting one and I do buy one, I WILL HAVE to modify it to an emulation cabinet to keep it from becomeing a room decoration.

Anyway...

I’m going to pick one up for our FGC locals and completely mod it. I saw some guy on YouTube do it for an additional $50 or so.

I’m going to pick one up for our FGC locals and completely mod it. I saw some guy on YouTube do it for an additional $50 or so.

I’ll watch that in a bit, it’s from the same guy that did the pi upgrade vid I posted

I just watched that, the video I posted is the complete how to, for the video you posted.

So watch it, he goes over it in detail.

Also, for what you want to do, the other brand cabinet he has next to it might be better for you, but would be slightly more expensive.

If it was primarily for me, and not a 5yr old, I’d definitely do the one he has next to it(or a full size cabinet build).

Whenever I get my first fullblown house I always said I'd want an original TMNT arcade game somewhere. I mean original. Original pcm board, housing, all that shit. IDGAF if it's got beer stains, scratches and boogers all over it from a real arcade. I know they go for about 3 grand but it's on my bucket list.

These knockoffs I just can't hang with.

If he's 5 he could appreciate it though, but just know he will grow fast eventually. It's too short for long term. I'd get the skil saw and a stool.

Last edited:
Whenever I get my first fullblown house I always said I'd want an original TMNT arcade game somewhere. I mean original. Original pcm board, housing, all that shit. IDGAF if it's got beer stains, scratches and boogers all over it from a real arcade. I know they go for about 3 grand but it's on my bucket list.

These knockoffs I just can't hang with.

If he's 5 he could appreciate it though, but just know he will grow fast eventually. It's too short for long term. I'd get the skil saw and a stool.

Yeah I’d love to have an extra gameroom with oldschool cabinet’s and refurbish them myself. But Indomt have the room.

They make the riser for the 1 up, so I could easily get it taller as he grows.

And the modability with a pi or a pc running an emulator should keep it interesting over time too.

We’ll see if he keeps asking for one or not.

I also have been wanting to build or refurb one of the table top ones you used to see in Ghatti’s etc for my outdoor kitchen/bar, with Galaga.

I have an almost 2k(hell might even be bigger) covered porch outdoor area in my backyard I built with hot tub and all.

Think a couple sit down style machines would make cool table add ons.

Weather might be a bear, won’t get rained on but humidity etc , been thinking about that one for a while.

These things seem like the ultimate Christmas present.

They aren't perfect, that much is for certain, but holy hell are they cool.

@Lionel Mandrake

Tag not coming up. Guess he changed his name. I haven't hated any single change to our policy as much as the allowance of name-changes to Plats.
Ah, that's right, it's now @Steve-French. Looks like you found the Retropie thread, but I might as well cross-post it here:
I have a custom built Bar Top Arcade machine that is using a Raspberry Pi 3 and is running Retro pie and it works great. A friend of mine built several of these and I bought one off of him . I'm techy and crafty enough to handle it myself, but imo it was worth it for me to not have to deal with it and just pay him to do it.

Here's a picture of it. The light up marquee is a nice touch.
i5yg1eN.png

Here's another picture of a couple more he built, but the trim on the marquees weren't done yet
80e334e5-b4f7-4fce-9666-d07a011c1ba5

So far I have run Mame, Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, Atari 2600, Nes, and Snes Emulators and Roms and have not run into any issues besides downloading a mame rom that doesn't work, but the bad roms are very few and far between. I've never noticed any lag either.

I don't plan running anything to heavy on it though just 80's and early-mid 90's stuff.

The hardest part would be making the cabinet which you can purchase a blue print for online. There is no soldering or anything involved as the wiring for the buttons snaps together. You can even buy the cabinets for around 100 and put it together yourself. Really if you wanted to get started all you would need.

$67
il_570xN.1571582677_js2q.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/619523...MIyMbI_eu13AIV0oh-Ch0Piw7qEAkYAyABEgLc8PD_BwE

Two sets of buttons $32
s-l640.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/i/372038613422?chn=ps

Raspberry pie computer $35
View attachment 410785
https://express.google.com/product/...campaign=gsx&dclid=CNOTkqnttdwCFQg7TwodSUoFRg

LED monitor you can usually find these at goodwill or other thrift store for like $20 or for even a couple dollars online.

$3
31gQXnDV2gL.jpg

vga to hdmi adapter $8
41KqDnKzBsL._AC_US218_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_3?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=vga+to+hdmi&sprefix=vga,electronics,203&crid=27W9UZ9G40ZHY

Plexiglass $20 Not necessary, but ads a nice touch
plexiglass-lexan.jpg

power strip with long cord or power source if you want to have a on off switch. Power strip is good enough though $16
41AMF69R5WL.jpg

Top light (also optional) $16
white-westek-bar-strip-lights-usl11hbcc-64_1000.jpg

Some old computer speakers for sound you can also find these online or at a thrift store for around $10. Or just ask around people usually have an old set of these lying around.

412-HbslD0L._AC_US218_.jpg

Oil based latex primer and paint. $20

View attachment 410789

Hardware such as hinge for the back panel, monitor mounts, and screws and such $20

All in all $247 dollars[/QUOTE]

Ok, so I bought one.

Looking online it seemed that Rampage was available, go to store that shows it in stock online, nope not freaking there.

After a whole day of driving around and having them try to find the Rampage machine they showed to have I finally found ONE at a physical store.

Have it hidden in the office in the closet, now to find some sneaky time to put it together before Christmas so it can be built and running by the tree Christmas morning.

After I build it here in the next few days and “test “ it, I’ll post my likes dislikes.

Street fighter cabinet has a much better button layout for future modding but as we already play street fighter on the nes mini I don’t think it would have been as exciting, and he seemed really interested in Rampage with “King Kong” and “Godzilla” as he called it from the YouTube vids we watched.

And I finally saw one put together on display, but they had a damn cover over the joystick so you couldn’t play it(they said you used to be able too but it was causing to much Rucus in the stores, well nonshit. How are you gonna sell these if the kids don’t play them and beg their parents for one?

About the size, 3/4 scale my ass more like 1/2 scale.

MAYBE with the riser it’s 3/4 scale.

But it is PERFECT size for my 5yr old, which is who it’s for so I’m cool with that.

I was disappointed when I couldn’t play the galaga demo in the store.

I’m pretty certain my mom might be getting me the galaga one for Christmas, so I might have two in my house in the near future lol.

I’ll try and keep this updated as our findings go on.

Also gonna have to figure out how to get a capture card to grab play off this thing.

Little update, my 5 year old son and 6,7 yr old niece and nephews think this is the best thing of all time.

They have Been playing Rampage almost non stop all day.

It’s sized perfect for a 5-7 yr old

How high are these ones?

I seen a gamer YouTuber show a little arcade game, and in Walmart I seen larger ones for $500. Is this one of those from Walmart or an entirely different brand? They weren’t full size but I can’t remember if they were as tall as a five year old or bigger lol.

You can bet there were kids crowded around it in the store playing it lol. That’s actually what caught my attention. Then I was like HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT I WANT IT lol.

How high are these ones?

I seen a gamer YouTuber show a little arcade game, and in Walmart I seen larger ones for $500. Is this one of those from Walmart or an entirely different brand? They weren’t full size but I can’t remember if they were as tall as a five year old or bigger lol.

You can bet there were kids crowded around it in the store playing it lol. That’s actually what caught my attention. Then I was like HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT I WANT IT lol.
I bought it at Walmart, it’s the arcade one up, my Walmart only sells this brand there are some bigger ones on the market but I didn’t think Walmart sold those.

There is an available riser for them that raises them one foot.

I’d have to get the tape measure out to say exactly how tall the controls are.

Sitting on our ottoman I’m perfectly comfortable playing with my kid, and he’s standing.

I’ve seen people use the riser for adults standing on YouTube but that looks like it would put the screen at a weird hieght for me.

How tall are you that will make a big difference. I’m 6’1 with the riser I think the controls would be fine for me, it screen to low, it if you aren’t an amazon woman it might be fine?

The risers are like a foot tall.

Mine was 299, it has Rampage and joust, gauntlet defender.

I mainly got it for the kid for Rampage.

If I got one for myself I’d have gotten the galaga version.

The more expensive one has 12 games but we didn’t really want any of the games on it.

At some point when the kid gets tired of just Rampage I’m gonna add a raspberry pi to it and more emulation games, or buy another one to mod. Not sure yet.

But it’s loads of fun

Emulation seems to be good enough on the Street Fighter 2 one I played at Think Geek. They also have a Galaga one that's sold exclusively at Walmart.
All in all, I think they're neat little gadgets. Wave 2 is coming out in 2019 and is rumored to include Mortal Kombat 1-3 and NBA Jam.

Emulation seems to be good enough on the Street Fighter 2 one I played at Think Geek. They also have a Galaga one that's sold exclusively at Walmart.
All in all, I think they're neat little gadgets. Wave 2 is coming out in 2019 and is rumored to include Mortal Kombat 1-3 and NBA Jam.
Yeah I really thought about the Streetfighter 2 one, since it comes with more buttons, but we already have the mini snes and play it on there. So it would have been “why did you get a game we already have dad??” Thing I think.

Anyway playing it on the mini arcade would be hella fun , I think I might try and figure out a way to hook the mini snes too it if possible without breaking the way it works also.

Would have to use the controllers obviously but might be cool for him until I build it out full emulation style later.

Back