Are all comforters quilts?

8a2cab69-e9cd-4003-8fc7-5f7a5e2b5808_text.gif

I always just called them “quilt” regardless of whether or not they’re quilted as that’s all I ever knew them as being called. I only ever heard them called “duvet” or “comforter” after I met my wife at age 21.

At lunch today a colleague advised that when he was younger, he had a Toronto Maple Leafs "quilt".

I puzzlingly asked him whether it was a regular comforter, or an actual quilt. He insisted they were the same thing. I insisted they were not.

Thankfully, Wikipedia was here to save us: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilt

According to Wikipedia: "In modern English, the word "quilt" can also be used to refer to an unquilted duvet or comforter."

How can a "quilt" refer to an "unquilted" object? That's literally demonic, and akin to the modern use of "literally" to sometimes mean "figuratively".

What say you? Do you use the term "quilt" to refer to any type of comforter? Can we all agree that all quilts must be quilted, and that an unquilted object cannot be a quilt?
Admittedly, English is not my native language but I never read the word "comforter". And I disapprove of it.

school-EngWiki-418-745x420.jpg

Non-US: school
US: school

0_JS238376993.jpg

Non-US: university
US: school
Actually it's called college. Not from the US I take it? University is also an appropriate term but not one you would use in casual conversation.

I don’t want to make any blanket statements, but I’ll throw this out there.

They are not the same!!

Actually it's called college. Not from the US I take it? University is also an appropriate term but not one you would use in casual conversation.
There are colleges in a university but there are no universities in a college

At lunch today a colleague advised that when he was younger, he had a Toronto Maple Leafs "quilt".

I puzzlingly asked him whether it was a regular comforter, or an actual quilt. He insisted they were the same thing. I insisted they were not.

Thankfully, Wikipedia was here to save us: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilt

According to Wikipedia: "In modern English, the word "quilt" can also be used to refer to an unquilted duvet or comforter."

How can a "quilt" refer to an "unquilted" object? That's literally demonic, and akin to the modern use of "literally" to sometimes mean "figuratively".

What say you? Do you use the term "quilt" to refer to any type of comforter? Can we all agree that all quilts must be quilted, and that an unquilted object cannot be a quilt?
I don't associate the two, I think like you. However, for what it's worth, the most accurate definition for "Quilt" from the Unabridged OED is below. By this definition, a comforter conforms:

1.a An article of bed-furniture, consisting essentially of two large pieces of woven material having a layer of some soft substance (such as wool, flock, or down) placed between them; originally, an article of this kind for lying on (now obs.); in later use, a coverlet of similar make, esp. one in which the lining is kept in place by stitches or lines of stitching passing through the whole (the mediæval quiltpoint or counterpoint, q.v.); hence, any thick outer bed-covering, a counterpane.

Back