Are all men created equally?

Jack, you're wrong here.

You're either born with a natural aptitude to do push ups like @HunterSdVa29, I mean his JOB had a PUSH UP requirement, or you're not.
you can't be serious

I never said natural aptitude (comprehension my dude), but people clearly have physical limits.....

Why do you think many sports have weight classes? women compete separately from men?

just stop

for physical things, perhaps......some people will flat out never be able to Dunk, or run a certain 40 time, or bench press 225....

For intellectual matters, no. You can't magically increase your intelligence b/c you want too, you can become smarter by learning more things but you don't go from not being able to do multiplication tables to ridge regression analytics simply b/c you want too

That's patently absurd

Yes, I didn't argue with the dunking, and I wouldn't argue with "running a certain 40 time." Bench press of 225 doesn't seem out of reach for an adult male who really wants it. You can't magically increase your intelligence, but you can learn stuff, which is what we're talking about. Math is learned. There's a ceiling on everyone, as I said, but you're describing stuff that doesn't have a particularly high difficulty rating.

Under law n theory they should be

In reality, they’re not

you can't be serious

I never said natural aptitude (comprehension my dude), but people clearly have physical limits.....

Why do you think many sports have weight classes? women compete separately from men?

just stop
<Dany07>

Yes, I didn't argue with the dunking, and I wouldn't argue with "running a certain 40 time." Bench press of 225 doesn't seem out of reach for an adult male who really wants it. You can't magically increase your intelligence, but you can learn stuff, which is what we're talking about. Math is learned. There's a ceiling on everyone, as I said, but you're describing stuff that doesn't have a particularly high difficulty rating.
"Who could have known that healthcare could be so complicated."

for you perhaps, or others

in the HS realm, Calculus is the highest, most advanced math one can take....the vast majority of people never attain that level, if not even the Trigonometry/preCalc level before that (i'm sure it depends on state HS requirements). Same w/ Physics for the sciences, most people never even get to that level

If you're saying that's entirely due to choice, and not lack of intellect, I disagree

Thread reminds me of this quote...

"But flippancy is the best of all. In the first place it is very economical. Only a clever human can make a real Joke about virtue, or indeed about anything else; any of them can be trained to talk as if virtue were funny. Among flippant people the Joke is always assumed to have been made. No one actually makes it; but every serious subject is discussed in a manner which implies that they have already found a ridiculous side to it. If prolonged, the habit of Flippancy builds up around a man the finest armour plating against the Enemy that I know, and it is quite free from the dangers inherent in the other sources of laughter. It is a thousand miles away from joy; it deadens, instead of sharpening, the intellect; and it excites no affection between those who practise it."

for you perhaps, or others

in the HS realm, Calculus is the highest, most advanced math one can take....the vast majority of people never attain that level, if not even the Trigonometry/preCalc level before that (i'm sure it depends on state HS requirements). Same w/ Physics for the sciences, most people never even get to that level

If you're saying that's entirely due to choice, and not lack of intellect, I disagree

I'm aware. Just like most people don't learn multiple languages (your first example). But almost anyone *can*. If parents with a below-average kid decided that they really wanted the kid to get a 5 on his AP Calc test and worked up to it, with like an hour of extra training after school starting in freshman year of HS, it would be no problem at all.

I'm aware. Just like most people don't learn multiple languages (your first example). But almost anyone *can*. If parents with a below-average kid decided that they really wanted the kid to get a 5 on his AP Calc test and worked up to it, with like an hour of extra training after school starting in freshman year of HS, it would be no problem at all.

Agreed. It's unbelievable how many people here don't believe in discipline and faith in human potential. Just goes to show the lack of it during their nurturing.

Agreed. It's unbelievable how many people here don't believe in discipline and faith in human potential. Just goes to show the lack of it during their nurturing.

Yeah, and to be clear, I'm not saying that there are no ceilings on human potential. Just that the guy's examples are really bad. I get having a low opinion of the common man, but my dude is taking it way too far. Better to direct that low opinion to people's motivation.

Everyone is naturally lazy, it's not the surprising really.

They feel better, or even justified, not doing or learning something if they think they can't learn it, rather than just admitting they're lazy and they don't want to put in the effort.

Yeah, and to be clear, I'm not saying that there are no ceilings on human potential. Just that the guy's examples are really bad. I get having a low opinion of the common man, but my dude is taking it way too far. Better to direct that low opinion to people's motivation.

Agreed. Some people are less motivated than others and don't feel the need to learn something out of curiosity or will to improve. It's sad really, because it demonstrates a low performing environment and lack of expectations for growth.

They feel better, or even justified, not doing or learning something if they think they can't learn it, rather than just admitting they're lazy and they don't want to put in the effort.

I don't agree with your first point. Socialization is also crucial to constructing lazy behaviors, but I see your point that people can be lazy and don't want to do something if they see it as a waste of time that will ultimately end in failure.

The kids I knew after senior year who busted their asses on hot roofs from sun up to sun down instead of going to college didn't opt out of that "tough" college life because they were lazy.

On the other hand, I knew some lazy fucks who immediately jumped on the college train because they didn't want to get jobs. They wanted to party and get laid while living away from their parents. Many eventually dropped out or were expelled.

The kids I knew after senior year who busted their asses on hot roofs from sun up to sun down instead of going to college didn't opt out of that "tough" college life because they were lazy.

Definitely there are different kinds of laziness and different impediments to learning for different people. I knew people in school whose home lives were so demanding that they had to drop out, despite being very capable of excelling. I wasn't trying to make any political point there. I think if we had better income support for people in poverty, we'd see more people approaching their potential (because it would prevent the kinds of thing I mentioned in my second sentence here).

I have no stats to back this up, but i'd assume that the majority of people that drop out of college (as it's not generally an intellect issue if you can make it in sans AA or something) are those that have their parents paying for it....

People on work study, scholarships/grants and loans (in my experiences) seem to take a more vested interest in the outcome of their education

Obviously i'm speaking in generalities here, and single moms using benefits to extend their education may lighten some of what i'm referring to

Agreed. Some people are less motivated than others and don't feel the need to learn something out of curiosity or will to improve. It's sad really, because it demonstrates a low performing environment and lack of expectations for growth.

I don't agree with your first point. Socialization is also crucial to constructing lazy behaviors, but I see your point that people can be lazy and don't want to do something if they see it as a waste of time that will ultimately end in failure.

Would you go to work if they didn't pay you? Would you go to school if you didn't need to learn things in order to get a job so they would pay you?

I'm quite certain most people had the choice to have all their needs taken care of without working, they'd make that choice and lay around masturbating most of the day.

what about people that volunteer? or like the Peace Corps?

granted they are likely being taken care of financially by someone else, thus allowing them to opportunity to do that, but still...

they clearly aren't doing it for money

Would you go to work if they didn't pay you? Would you go to school if you didn't need to learn things in order to get a job so they would pay you?

I'm quite certain most people had the choice to have all their needs taken care of without working, they'd make that choice and lay around masturbating most of the day.

Ideology is a powerful motivator. Sure, material incentives are important, but so are symbolic and other types of social incentives (authority, prestige, etc). Most people only lead a hedonistic life according to the satisfaction of their desires (this has been true since the time of Plato), but there are people that live for honor, pride, courage, wisdom, altruism, etc.

what about people that volunteer? or like the Peace Corps?

granted they are likely being taken care of financially by someone else, thus allowing them to opportunity to do that, but still...

they clearly aren't doing it for money

I think a lot of people do that because it looks good on their resume.

Back