Are kids really getting both physically and mentally weaker every generation?

smellmyfarts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You hear this all the time, but do you think the average 13 year old boy that grew up in say the the 1950's was tougher than an average kid that age that grew up in the 1980's? Was the average kid that age in the 1980's tougher than the average kid that age now days?

Every generation seems to think the next up and coming generation is nothing but a bunch of pussies, but is there any truth to this? I can't speak for generations past mine, but as someone that grew up in the 80's and early 90's, I can say without a doubt that the average kid was in better physical shape before the gaming and information age. We played some Nintendo, and I do remember AOL, but most kids at least in the 1980's spent the majority of their time outside. Add to this that kids ate much better back then. Their was always a few fat kids in every classroom in school, but it wasn't like it is today where about a 3rd of the kids are soft.

Fighting and aggression was more acceptable back then too. You weren't as protected from bullies, and it was still somewhat acceptable for a male teacher or coach to tell you to stick up for yourself. You weren't as babied, and kids in general were given more responsibility, so I think kids were mentally a little tougher on average 30 years ago too.

Maybe this all could be countered with the fact that kids are slightly bigger these days. The kids that actually do engage in sports seem to be getting bigger faster, and stronger. I look at some of the times and marks at the HS state track meets, and they're more impressive. I see more kids that are soft, but I also see more kids that are jacked at a young age. I don't remember seeing too many 8th or 9th graders that could bench press 200lbs, but at my nephew's middle school, there are like 10 guys on the 200lb board. One of them is putting up 260lbs at 15 years old and my nephew says the kid is only like 170lbs. That's crazy.

So what do you think? Are kids on the AVERAGE getting weaker, or is it just a myth?

ur av makes me think u would think the answer is yes

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

-Socrates, attributed by Plato

Bitching about kids is a timeless pasttime for salty ass old people.

ur av makes me think u would think the answer is yes
I do think the answer is yes if we're playing the game of averages, but I'm curious to see what other people think. I know that when I was a kid, my dad and uncles used to think than my generation was pathetic, but we didn't think so.

livingstoneteens.jpg

"What?"

http://www.jhandtherapy.org/article/S0894-1130(15)00212-4/pdf

Strength scores were statistically lower that older normative data in all millennial grip strengths, with the exception of the women in the age group of 30-34 years. Specifically, this statistically significant trend was observed in all male grip strengths, as well as in women in the age group of 20-24 years (bilateral grip) and 25-29 years (right grip). However, the lateral pinch data reflected was similar to the older norms with variances of 0.5-1 kg.

easier life makes for less capable people. I don't even see how that could be debated.

That's just on the physical side. I don't think there has been a good enough study done yet on iq, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if iq was dropping starting with people about my age (27). I can barely remember a time when every problem couldn't be solved with a quick Google search. Of course there will always be outliers who are the curious and the ambitious. Those few will continue to advance society, but your average person can make it through a day without thinking about anything ever. Have a problem? Ask siri

You hear a lot of stats like this. Yet, it seems performance records seem to keep rising just as fast as ever.

I think the extremes are more obvious now. More research has been done in terms of strength training and there's more emphasis on sports as a career option(for the example in the OP).

People back in the day were undoubtedly tougher than they are in today's world. Not nearly as many resources in their day for your problems.

I think the extremes are more obvious now. More research has been done in terms of strength training and there's more emphasis on sports as a career option(for the example in the OP).

People back in the day were undoubtedly tougher than they are in today's world. Not nearly as many resources in their day for your problems.

Which means humanity adjusts to it's current environment. A person can complain test levels are lower now in the average guy but do they also subscribe to going back in time to a less advanced society in order to boost it back up because of what the workforce has to do? Seems like there aren't simple solutions to turn it around.

Which means humanity adjusts to it's current environment. A person can complain test levels are lower now in the average guy but do they also subscribe to going back in time to a less advanced society in order to boost it back up because of what the workforce has to do? Seems like there aren't simple solutions to turn it around.

Exactly. If there's any kind of global catastrophe people will forget about strength training because they'll be too tired from doing laundry in the river or fetching firewood.

A mass illusion
Blind men in a line
They smother their fires with gasoline

A strangers contribution
Everybody's on the run
No clue where they are heading

A spineless attempt
Have we lost it completely?
It always ends up in a mess

A liar's ambition, praised like a king
Every day in every way we are getting weaker
You won't go far with the life that you're living

Slow and calculated
Afraid of the sleeping well
Never ever reach the goal

Today kids know much more than we know with 18 years about a world but we have war here soo we didn't have nothing in 90s. Much more smarter and can teach them to punch with 1 and half year old. And they can do combination punches to. But I training a lot home soo they love do that too. If you are smart you can know what they want all the time

You hear a lot of stats like this. Yet, it seems performance records seem to keep rising just as fast as ever.
This is what makes it confusing.

I think the average kid is less capable, but athletes that actually train keep raising the bar even higher.

It seems like there is a bigger discrepancy between athletes and non athletes in schools these days. I sorta remember there being lots of guys that didn't play sports that were still in good shape when I was a kid. It seems like now days the majority of your non-athlete types are little butterballs or twigs that play video games 24/7. I sorta remember there being these drop-out dirtbag gangster kids that played basketball at the park all day between selling drugs. Now they play Madden or Call of Duty all day, and the weed they smoke fucks them up way more. It's as if these shitheads are too lazy to even get in trouble these days. I'm sure one of the bigger reasons that crime is so much lower now has to do with all these assholes being addicted to video games. Boredom causes mischief, and even poor kids aren't bored anymore if the go the gamer rout.

I think technology has definitely made kids dumber and lazy. iPhone, Facebook, Twitter, Sherdog, etc.

Environmental factors have a negative influence. But advances in nutritional science, as well as sports science, training methodology may be a mitigating or even overwhelming factor.

You can see it by looking at sports. Times that would get you an Olympic gold medal today wouldn't win a high school meet in the 1930s. Every generation gets weaker than the previous one. IQ tests have to be constantly recalibrated because of how much lower the mean is.

Back