Are movie critics overrated?

??? It deserved more than star wars for sure. Are you trolling?
Last Jedi is rated too high but it doesn't mean that every big movie deserves 90% like how Gene Shalit use to rate them

critic-main-600x314.jpg

There always seems to be a disconnect at least recently between the audience and the critics,for example, critics love star wars last jedi but fans hate it. Infinity war was massively received by fans, while critics only have it at 83% on rotten tomatoes.

I used to read critic reviews, now I avoid them. They all seem to piggyback off each other, that is...if the critic consensus is that a film is good, other critics parrot this. The same for if the film is considered bad.

I feel that today especially, films are reviewed based on merits outside of the quality of the actual film. For example certain films seem to get high reviews because they adhere to leftist socio-political standards. As an example of that example, I feel last jedi only got good reviews because it had a diverse cast, not because of the merit of the film.

I feel the same way slightly about Black Panther. I think it is a great film, but overhyped due to the wrong reasons.

Anyone else feel this way?

Why do you think critics and fans don't agree? And do you think films are reviewed by critics based on the wrong things?

They're just people. Some have similar taste as me and some don't. I reckon it's the same for you if you followed ones who reviewed movies you enjoy well.

How to pick critics: Watch movies in advance and see which critics time and time again closely align with you. While critics are generally better at being objective and leaving their bias at the door than the average joe, they are still human. Just follow the ones you agree with the most. Now I only watch critics reviews only after I've seen the movies because I don't watch movies in the theaters anymore.

I used to enjoy watching Siskel & Ebert on Sunday mornings as a kid. Obviously people didn’t always agree with them but for the most part they were pretty good. Critics today seem to be the super poor mans version of them extra mean cheesie etc.

I lost some respect for them when they would re-review movies. For example, they re-reviewed Ace Ventura and gave it thumbs up. I mean, ive changed my mind on films before, but I wasn't watching with critical eyes.

I lost some respect for them when they would re-review movies. For example, they re-reviewed Ace Ventura and gave it thumbs up. I mean, ive changed my mind on films before, but I wasn't watching with critical eyes.

Who's eyes were you watching with :eek:

Same here. He used to be my #1 most reliable movie reviewer.

After he gave The Last Jedi a positive review, not addressing its obvious faults I know he would have noticed in the two times he watched the film before posting his review.

Critics skewered the prequels, but they almost universally praise the new movies... because of Disney.

He lost me after he bashed Rogue One, after commending TF out of Force Awakens. You bash a movie that tried to be original as opposed to a formulaic rehash of the original trilogy? And I like FA, R1 and TLJ.

Yes. Rotten tomatoes and other means of aggregating numerous movie goers’ opinions are a much more effective way of gauging a movie’s quality, rather than relying on just a few people’s opinions.

They're all failed as actors or filmmakers. Now they just dump on movies because of jealousy.

Last edited:
I recall many years ago when Cable Guy came out, I saw some critics give it one or zero stars. That is my favorite Jim Carrey performance. After that is when I started paying no attention to movie critics.

Back