are movie snipers doing it wrong?

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Is there a legitimate reason why they always set their gun up directly by the open window? (I mean besides needing to point the gun downwards if they're high up.) I always thought it would be superior to shoot from the second /third floor and pull the gun back from the window because then less people are likely to see your barrel and/or muzzle flash. Also, the quality of the sound might change as well (potentially making it harder to place) if it bounces off a few walls as it leaves the room.

But I don't know shit about sharpshooting.

thoughts?

Last edited:
The only legitimate reason is that the makers of these movies think it looks cool. As you rightly suggested, snipers do not usually sit with their guns sticking out of a window. You can be back deep in the room and still see your target. Not being seen is essential for a sniper.

Snipers are taught to shoot from inside buildings.

A decade-plus on this site, & I finally get to move a thread to the 'Weapons & Tactics' subforum.

They also dont close one eye

If you're sticking a muzzle out a window you are doing it wrong. One of my biggest pet peeves in movies.

What's the reason for that?
To prevent eye fatigue. Also to prevent muscles in your face from tiring out so you don't get any shudders trying to keep one eye shut. Keep your left eye shut and see how long you can hold it before it starts to shake. Now do that hour after hour.

You should not be right at the window. You should be further inside the room away from the panes

main-qimg-0dc00048005e55e67c1a317c9f5d9dcf

36444.jpg

Defense.gov_News_Photo_041109-M-2789C-129.jpg

standard.jpg

Is there a legitimate reason why they always set their gun up directly by the open window? (I mean besides needing to point the gun downwards if they're high up.) I always thought it would be superior to shoot from the second /third floor and pull the gun back from the window because then less people are likely to see your barrel and/or muzzle flash. Also, the quality of the sound might change as well (potentially making it harder to place) if it bounces off a few walls as it leaves the room.

But I don't know shit about sharpshooting.

thoughts?

Yes. you are right.

They do that because its easier to film. Rather like the way they used to make Johnny Weissmuller swim with his head up out of the water in Tarzan Movies. They wanted to show its him. He didn't swim like that in Competition.

Movie Swim:
weissmuller_johnny_banner.jpg

Competition swim, and he only came up that high, because they didn't use swim goggles in his day.
johnny-weissmuller-swimmer.jpg

Plus Movie people generally aren't gun folks, and don't listen and don't care so much about authenticity, thus creating ignorant shit like this, (for instance)
kVqnTOz.gif

Last edited:
I still can’t get over the Gibson’s M9 in Lethal Weapon 1 holding like 30 rounds and never having a malfunction.

my biggest pet peeve in action movies is the extreme tendency for heavily armed badguys to close to within knifing range of the hero. Its extremely apparent in the John Wick movies. He gets attacked by 7 guys and kills all of them with contact gunshots. What trained gunman (and in the second movie they are ALL trained gunmen) decides that the best way to engage an armed subject in the open is to break cover one at a time to shoot at him from melee range?

I dislike it when people talk about the "pink mist".

My sniper section always shot center mass. Always trained center mass. Never even talked about headshots.

I was all like, " T ZONE MOTHERFUCKERS!" and they were all like, "CNSZ, NOOB".

I dislike it when people talk about the "pink mist".

My sniper section always shot center mass. Always trained center mass. Never even talked about headshots.

I was all like, " T ZONE MOTHERFUCKERS!" and they were all like, "CNSZ, NOOB".

I would think headshots would be presented as the best option somewhat frequently in urban environments, no? Peaking around corners or cover in general, roof tops, windows, etc.

I would think headshots would be presented as the best option somewhat frequently in urban environments, no? Peaking around corners or cover in general, roof tops, windows, etc.
The one dude I know that routinely carried a bolt gun with him into Iraq said urban environments quite often his job basically ended up being recon, "my greatest weapon were my eyes, binos, and a radio". And even then when targets presented themselves he always shot to kill so would only shoot when their chest was exposed.

His reasoning was because that stereotypical shit you see where they hold the AK over a barrier and spray wildly, there's nothing you can really do to stop that until they lean over to present themselves as a target.

Last edited:
Are guns used wrong in movies?

Yes. Almost without fail

The one dude I know that routinely carried a bolt gun with him into Iraq said urban environments quite often his job basically ended up being recon, "my greatest weapon were my eyes, binos, and a radio". And even then when targets presented themselves he always shot to kill so would only shoot when their chest was exposed.

His reasoning was because that stereotypical shit you see where they hold the AK over a barrier and spray wildly, there's nothing you can really do to stop that until they lean over to present themselves as a target.

Cool. I’ve always been a fan of snipers, since the first story I heard about Carlos Hathcock as a kid.

#SimoHayhabless

Back