Are there any top tier Dutch kickboxers who have successfully incorporated true Muay Thai?

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
When it comes to Dutck kickboxers, generally the style is considered a hybrid style, with some kickboxing fans who seem to strongly feel the style is obsolete and outdated. When it comes to Dutch kickboxers who have enjoyed success at the world level, are there any of them who have successfully incorporated what can be called true, dyed in the wool Muay Thai? Of the type that Buakaw Banchamek and his colleagues successfully utilize? If so who would be the most notable examples?

The only one I can think of is that tiny Black guy. I think his name is Sergio Wezzel. But if you are looking for any hybrid stylist the best example is Georgio Petrosyan. He is a mix of everything.

The only one I can think of is that tiny Black guy. I think his name is Sergio Wezzel. But if you are looking for any hybrid stylist the best example is Georgio Petrosyan. He is a mix of everything.
You mean Sergio Wielzen.

Do you mean Dutch or the fabled "Dutch style"?

Alexei Ignashov was more Thai style oriented. excellent teep also.

Do you mean Dutch or the fabled "Dutch style"?

Alexei Ignashov was more Thai style oriented. excellent teep also.
I was referring to anyone who was Dutch, so it could be Dutch fighters who are kickboxers and those whose style has been categorized as specifically as Dutck kickboxing. Naturally, the latter may not exist at all.

Gilbert Ballantine was probably the closest. The only known gym now that teaches anything remotely like really muaythai is probably Lucien Carbin's

Modern Muay Thai isn't even the true Muay Thai. True Muay Thai is like arms stretched out like a zombie with no boxing guard. They throw like taking punches.that aren't even real punches with the intent of just cutting guys.

DutchDutch and traditional muay Thai don't mixed.....but to answer your question.

Ramon Dekkers.

DutchDutch and traditional muay Thai don't mixed.....but to answer your question.

Ramon Dekkers.

I agree, he opened the thais eyes to the fact that GENERALLY speaking, they were lacking in the hand dept, not utilizing it enough, overlooking it etc. I think he proved that hands can be effective in muay thai as well.

Muay thai is continuing to evolve. What it is today isnt what it was 20 years ago. The sport now seems to be overall more well rounded. I am even seeing some of the thais incorporate some mma style striking moves as well.

I agree, he opened the thais eyes to the fact that GENERALLY speaking lacking in the hand dept, not utilizing it enough, overlooking it etc. I think he proved that hands can be effective in muay thai as well.

Muay thai is continuing to evolve. What it is today isnt what it was 20 years ago. The sport now seems to be overall more well rounded. I am even seeing some of the thais incorporate some mma style striking moves as well.
You're right,

Traditional Muay Thai used their hand to measure their opponent's distance.

While the Dutch used boxing combinations and always ended with a kick.

Dutch Kickboxing is a Kyokushin Karate mixed with Boxing.
that is what it was when it stated but then just about every famous coach/gym took their team to thailand to get beat up and then changed their style once again.

that is what it was when it stated but then just about every famous coach/gym took their team to thailand to get beat up and then changed their style once again.
They got defeated because of the ruleset. Thai Clinch. But the 1st Kyokushin Karatekas who fought in Lumpinee defeated the Thais 3-2.

They got defeated because of the ruleset. Thai Clinch. But the 1st Kyokushin Karatekas who fought in Lumpinee defeated the Thais 3-2.
the won that first meeting because karate sent their champs while the thais did not use one ranked fighter out of the stadiums. Also it was not the ruleset as kyokushin allowed/used clinch work and strikes from the clinch as well as elbows so you can't blame either of those as the reason.
There is not one high profile kickboxing coach who took the "dutch style" to Thailand and did not get beat. They all also significantly modified their fighting system after these crushing defeats and took and began using many techniques of the thais.

the won that first meeting because karate sent their champs while the thais did not use one ranked fighter out of the stadiums. Also it was not the ruleset as kyokushin allowed/used clinch work and strikes from the clinch as well as elbows so you can't blame either of those as the reason.
There is not one high profile kickboxing coach who took the "dutch style" to Thailand and did not get beat. They all also significantly modified their fighting system after these crushing defeats and took and began using many techniques of the thais.
Sorry but I have heard those excuses from Muay Thai afficionados once they got beaten by a different style.

DDekkersis the best fighter who overcame the Thais in Lumpinee.

Sorry but I have heard those excuses from Muay Thai afficionados once they got beaten by a different style.

and yet deckers had a losing record in Thailand and against Thai's in general no matter where the fight took place. Don't believe all the myths that have been put out in the western combat sports world as most are completely bullshit like the saying that dekkers went and conquered the sport of muaythai

that's why he lost most of his fights in thailand and got embarrassed in some.

Back