Are these 5 HOFs worthy of being in the hall?

DeJulez

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.boxingscene.com/new-ballot-arrives-its-time-clean-out-hall-closet--132575

Saw this on boxingscene and was wondering what people think?
Lyle Fitzsimmons wrote the article about the HOF being for the "All Time Greats" and how these guys would be in the "Hall of All Time Goods"
Also notice that in his Ken Norton spot he also mentioned Joe Frazier would be in there.

What you say?

Bobby Chacon (inducted 2005):
I get it. The guy's back story was ridiculously compelling. Frightful beatings. Dramatic comebacks. Life reinventions. But look beyond the obvious action value of his fights and there's not much to warrant an immortal tag. A one-defense reign at 126 pounds, KO losses to a pair of 130-pound champions followed by another one-defense reign a decade later. Wrap it up with a three-round beatdown by Ray Mancini and it’s thanks for the memories, but no bronze plaque.

Pipino Cuevas (inducted 2002): Quick... what's your most vivid memory of the former WBA welterweight champion? My guess is anyone who didn't say his spaghetti-legged KO loss to Thomas Hearns in August 1980 had it second only to the four-round stoppage by Roberto Duran in a battle of ex-titlists 29 months later. In my eyes, if your two biggest moments in the ring were blowout losses to actual Hall of Famers, perhaps you shouldn't really be called one yourself.

Arturo Gatti (inducted 2013): If there's a more criminally overrated non-heavyweight inductee, I'd love to get his name. And as great a trilogy as “Thunder” put on against Micky Ward – yes, I'm aware that he won two – there's simply not enough to translate Gatti from the Jersey Shore to Central New York. A pair of fights against Hall-worthy foes (De La Hoya, Mayweather) yielded stoppage losses, and even the conquests listed on his IBHOF bio (Leonard Dorin, Wilson Rodriguez?!?) indicate an overblown acclaim.

Ken Norton (inducted 1992): Somewhere, when they do build the “Hall of All-Time Good,” the awkward Marine from San Diego will have a front-hallway shrine right alongside Joe Frazier's. But when it comes to the actual Hall, he just doesn't deserve his own place. Winning one of three close ones against Muhammad Ali and none against any other enshrinees -- not to mention three KO losses in two rounds or fewer – might make him a top-five contender, but he's not close to a Hall of Famer.

Dwight Muhammad Qawi (inducted 2004): I won't lie. This dude was one of my favorites. His KO Magazine poster was on my wall. I didn’t miss a fight between Saad Muhammad and Spinks and I looked on with car-crash interest when he kept grinding against Holyfield and Foreman. But let's be serious. He erased a fading action hero, beat two retreads and laid an egg in a chance at 175-pound glory on HBO. Winning a cruiser title and beating Leon Spinks hardly makes a mountain of that molehill.

https://www.boxingscene.com/new-ballot-arrives-its-time-clean-out-hall-closet--132575

Lyle Fitzsimmons wrote the article about the HOF being for the "All Time Greats" and how these guys would be in the "Hall of All Time Goods"
Also notice that in his Ken Norton spot he also mentioned Joe Frazier would be in there.

What you say?

I get it. The guy's back story was ridiculously compelling. Frightful beatings. Dramatic comebacks. Life reinventions. But look beyond the obvious action value of his fights and there's not much to warrant an immortal tag. A one-defense reign at 126 pounds, KO losses to a pair of 130-pound champions followed by another one-defense reign a decade later. Wrap it up with a three-round beatdown by Ray Mancini and it’s thanks for the memories, but no bronze plaque.

Pipino Cuevas (inducted 2002): Quick... what's your most vivid memory of the former WBA welterweight champion? My guess is anyone who didn't say his spaghetti-legged KO loss to Thomas Hearns in August 1980 had it second only to the four-round stoppage by Roberto Duran in a battle of ex-titlists 29 months later. In my eyes, if your two biggest moments in the ring were blowout losses to actual Hall of Famers, perhaps you shouldn't really be called one yourself.

Arturo Gatti (inducted 2013): If there's a more criminally overrated non-heavyweight inductee, I'd love to get his name. And as great a trilogy as “Thunder” put on against Micky Ward – yes, I'm aware that he won two – there's simply not enough to translate Gatti from the Jersey Shore to Central New York. A pair of fights against Hall-worthy foes (De La Hoya, Mayweather) yielded stoppage losses, and even the conquests listed on his IBHOF bio (Leonard Dorin, Wilson Rodriguez?!?) indicate an overblown acclaim.

Ken Norton (inducted 1992): Somewhere, when they do build the “Hall of All-Time Good,” the awkward Marine from San Diego will have a front-hallway shrine right alongside Joe Frazier's. But when it comes to the actual Hall, he just doesn't deserve his own place. Winning one of three close ones against Muhammad Ali and none against any other enshrinees -- not to mention three KO losses in two rounds or fewer – might make him a top-five contender, but he's not close to a Hall of Famer.

Dwight Muhammad Qawi (inducted 2004): I won't lie. This dude was one of my favorites. His KO Magazine poster was on my wall. I didn’t miss a fight between Saad Muhammad and Spinks and I looked on with car-crash interest when he kept grinding against Holyfield and Foreman. But let's be serious. He erased a fading action hero, beat two retreads and laid an egg in a chance at 175-pound glory on HBO. Winning a cruiser title and beating Leon Spinks hardly makes a mountain of that molehill.
What this writer doesn't get is that the hall isn't all about who held the most titles. Its who had a great impact on the sport.

Arturo Gatti -I disagree with the guy, though. Gatti was involved in FOTY, what- 4 or 5 times? People tuned in to watch Gatti. He also won world titles at two different weights. He deserves to be in there.

Norton, I sort of agree with him. I've made that exact argument against Norton in the "ATG HW" threads quite a bit and I've said the same here about Cuevas.

I agree with him about Qawi and Chacon too.

Chacon and Gatti no. Cuevas probably not. DMQ, and Norton maybe, though there are guys who are more deserving than both that aren't in (that goes for all of them though).

Last edited:

What you say?

anyone who can get a break and get in i'm in favor of, it's meaningless anyways. It's political and based on popularity, in that vein gatti and chacon were very popular fighters, very. Dwight was a good good fighter in an era of really good lightheavyweights, he was in that mix. anyway, anyone who can get in good for them, it's meaningless though, i guess it makes old men feel good. Recently i saw some posting on FB by a member of the rock band Redbone, the old feller was bemoning the fact that he wasn't in the Rock and Roll hall of fame but really, on what criteria are we suppossed to go on? a couple hits by great musicians? shit, then there'd be thousands of more guys in there. And the rock and roll hall of fame is more meaningless than canastota, i forget who it was but someone who got inducted said "rock and roll was invented to be against institutions like the hall of fame". true

Norton also lost a pretty much as close as it gets fight to Holmes.

seriously just imagine for a sec if he had gotten the win over Ali in fight 3 and over Holmes...

I think though because he didn't...probably should not be in.

Other then that. Yeah none of those guys should be in.

Norton also lost a pretty much as close as it gets fight to Holmes.

seriously just imagine for a sec if he had gotten the win over Ali in fight 3 and over Holmes...

I think though because he didn't...probably should not be in.

Other then that. Yeah none of those guys should be in.
Norton was popular, talented but so limited, he would have never lasted as a champion in an era with shavers, foreman and frazier around, anyone who could hit would have left him paralyzed in fright, a mental thing.

As mentioned before, it's a hall of fame, not a hall of achievements. Chacon wasn't just a crowd pleaser, though. Limon, Boza Edwards, Olivares, Danny Lopez... These guys were good. Gatti's resume is inferior, but if a guy embodies the concept of a hall of fame, it's him. He was arguably the face of boxing for a time. I'd put these 2 above the other 3. Norton gets a pass because of the era he fought in, I guess. He was as close as it gets to take Holmes's 0 and win a trilogy against Ali. One could argue he couldn't take a punch, but he wasn't lucky either. Qawi had an exciting style, that being said the Saad Muhammad he beat was pretty much a corpse, and so was Leon. The rest, like most Norton's famous showings, are losses. I'd keep him in because he also pushed dominant Evander and Spinks versions pretty far. Cuevas is a question mark. That's something appealing in his story, though. A big upset against Espada and 11 straight title defenses, and a crowd pleasing style...

Hell, I guess the year they got inducted is also a factor. But as far as the criteria are subjective, it's kind of pointless to argue against an induction.

People have been bitching about the HoF inductees since I got on the Internet. It's always the same thing. As Seano & Hagler have already pointed out, it was never intended to be a mark of quality.

I still am bamboozled that people don't get that.

3 fighters get inducted into the "Modern" category every year.
Ask yourself: "Is this fighter among the 30 most significant fighters of the decade they peaked in?"

Chacon and Gatti no. Cuevas probably not. DMQ, and Norton maybe, though there are guys who are more deserving than both that aren't in (that goes for all of them though).
Let me put it this way for norton.

What is Larry Holmes best win?

3 fighters get inducted into the "Modern" category every year.
Ask yourself: "Is this fighter among the 30 most significant fighters of the decade they peaked in?"
Significant how is the the question.

An ali in the early stages of parkinson is his best win?

Simple question really.

And i think the answer is clearly norton tbh
Ali was lineal champion at the time

I'd go with Shavers if being serious. Holmes beat them back to back, but between the rematch with Shavers, Shavers had beaten Norton as well, which was really only a year apart

Larry Holmes got a couple gift decisions against Tim Witherspoon, Carl Williams, and Oliver McCall. Lucked out against guy s casuals would of never had heard of. However, both him and Norton were greats and absolutely belong in the HOF.

Last edited:
so norton then
Meh. Holmes' resume is not all that deep. More about quantity of mediocre quality than anyone standout. I mean, what makes Norton a good win? One magical night against a fading legend and a bunch of scary beatings against other good fighters? He's Oliver McCall from a more respected era.

Back