Are Whey Protein Supplements just a waste of money?

Unless you're training in a fasted state, the anabolic window is pretty much bullshit.

I found whey to be most useful when cutting calories but trying to keep protein uptake high.

yeah, they already said as long as you get the protein in the window, which is like 1 to 2 hours your good, after that your body starts eating up the muscle if you don't take in the fuel to recover.

You don't need to take protein immediately after working, but its better to do it in my opinion, so you at least get the nutrients in, so if you drive to the gym and back home just drink a shake or something as convenience if you cant get a real meal in.

When it comes to lifting/training there really are no absolutes. Everyone's body is different and reacts to different methods in varying ways. I used to always drink my protein before workouts after trials of doing different things with the timing gave me the best results that way (for example)

Same goes for when to workout, what exercise's to do, how many times a week to hit different body parts, should I only do compound exercises Vs isolation etc. etc.

So much of it is goal oriented too: are you lifting for mass, training for cardio, or just trying to maintain?

So many variables before you even get to how your own body reacts (or genetics). It really can get damn scientific when you start to dig into it.

123bgbq.gif

One thing I should add here tho -diet is very important to so much of this.

You get out of your body what you put into it. As they say.

When it comes to lifting/training there really are no absolutes. Everyone's body is different and reacts to different methods in varying ways. I used to always drink my protein before workouts after trials of doing different things with the timing gave me the best results that way (for example)

Same goes for when to workout, what exercise's to do, how many times a week to hit different body parts, should I only do compound exercises Vs isolation etc. etc.

So much of it is goal oriented too: are you lifting for mass, training for cardio, or just trying to maintain?

So many variables before you even get to how your own body reacts (or genetics). It really can get damn scientific when you start to dig into it.

Yeah, different conditions, if you train on empty getting the protein drink in quickly is a must.

I used to train on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and then down some whey right after with some carbs, and then an hour later eat my breakfast.

I also did that intraworkout drink that had a mix of protein and carbs.

Right now I just lift in the afternoons so my body is well nourished and then I notice I have more strength and energy in the afternoon or evening than I do in the morning.

I have more motivation to workout later in the day for some reason.

Yeah, different conditions, if you train on empty getting the protein drink in quickly is a must.

I used to train on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and then down some whey right after with some carbs, and then an hour later eat my breakfast.

I also did that intraworkout drink that had a mix of protein and carbs.

Right now I just lift in the afternoons so my body is well nourished and then I notice I have more strength and energy in the afternoon or evening than I do in the morning.

I have more motivation to workout later in the day for some reason.

I hated morning workouts. Early evening to late afternoons crew checking in here.

As for protein -after experimenting for a couple years I noticed drinking it just the one time before my workout worked the best for me. I usually had my dinner not too long after my workout.

Brands matter too, at least for me they did. For some reason Nitrotechs original blend always worked the best for me. I did trials with so many others over a period of years but settled on that stuff for a long time. My body got a good reaction from it. Not sure if it's made the same now tho, and I no longer use any supplements -including protein supplements. I'm strictly diet now personally. Diet and lifting.

I hated morning workouts. Early evening to late afternoons crew checking in here.

As for protein -after experimenting for a couple years I noticed drinking it just the one time before my workout worked the best for me. I usually had my dinner not too long after my workout.

Brands matter too, at least for me they did. For some reason Nitrotechs original blend always worked the best for me. I did trials with so many others over a period of years but settled on that stuff for a long time. My body got a good reaction from it. Not sure if it's made the same now tho, and I no longer use any supplements -including protein supplements. I'm strictly diet now personally. Diet and lifting.

Man I forced myself to workout in the morning, but hated it no motivation or energy, just like you evening and late afternoon is the best for me, I have no clue why but Im so amped and motivated to hit the weights or do a full body workout and some jogging in the afternoon.

Hell yeah brand matters, The majority of proteins on the market can cause people to develop IBS or inflammation from extra crap.

I dont take bodybuilding supps anymore, the only one I do take is a unflavored whey isonatural with no chemicals and it taste like chalk. I stick to whole foods, im not into getting that freaky body anymore like I was in my early 20s, I was obsessed with trying to get huge, now I just wanna look trim, fit and muscular naturally and look good in a suit.

I remember back in the day the best tasting proteins I ever drank were Myofusion and Syntha 6 but a few drinks that stuff gave me watery stool.

I figured I couldn't handle the additives like artificial stuff in there like carragean emulsifiers and other stuff.

So when I do drink Whey its no additive natural stuff just plain whey that taste like chalk, but I dont drink it every day, only on workout days, taste like chalk but I just down it fast with cold water.

This is my go to shake its the only bodybuilding supplement I really take, I used to be a guinea pig man I took everything, but now I just take in whole foods and a few select things like fish oil, d3, and coq10 and some vit c quercetin.

allmax_isonatural_5lb_8.jpg

Man I forced myself to workout in the morning, but hated it no motivation or energy, just like you evening and late afternoon is the best for me, I have no clue why but Im so amped and motivated to hit the weights or do a full body workout and some jogging in the afternoon.

Hell yeah brand matters, The majority of proteins on the market can cause people to develop IBS or inflammation from extra crap.

I dont take bodybuilding supps anymore, the only one I do take is a unflavored whey isonatural with no chemicals and it taste like chalk. I stick to whole foods, im not into getting that freaky body anymore like I was in my early 20s, I was obsessed with trying to get huge, now I just wanna look trim, fit and muscular naturally and look good in a suit.

I remember back in the day the best tasting proteins I ever drank were Myofusion and Syntha 6 but a few drinks that stuff gave me watery stool.

I figured I couldn't handle the additives like artificial stuff in there like carragean emulsifiers and other stuff.

So when I do drink Whey its no additive natural stuff just plain whey that taste like chalk, but I dont drink it every day, only on workout days, taste like chalk but I just down it fast with cold water.

This is my go to shake its the only bodybuilding supplement I really take, I used to be a guinea pig man I took everything, but now I just take in whole foods and a few select things like fish oil, d3, and coq10 and some vit c quercetin.

allmax_isonatural_5lb_8.jpg

+Juan on the guinea pig stuff lol. I remember back in the day when Ripped Fuel and Hydroxycut were coming out and they were loaded with all kinds of shit that was killing football players. I took them anyway, was on Ripped Fuel for a year straight without taking a break from it, then an article came out talking about how it did the same damage to your heart valves as cocain. Not long after that a couple of college athletes croaked from using it and that was all she wrote for that blend of it.

None of that shit was 'FDA' approved. Being into lifting and taking supplements is basically like being a volunteer for random trials for unapproved experimental drugs lol. Andro was the only big one from back then that I didn't try, I was already taking too much shit as it was. That said, I remember the Home Run era in baseball in the late 90's where Mark McGwire was actually doing commercials for the stuff haha. That shit was all the rage -then, like ripped fuel, it gets pulled from shelves because they needed to switch up ingredients because it had some borderline shit in it.

Those were the days lol

Yeah I get that but even when I stopped drinking whey protein shakes and just went on eating regular food my gains were the same as when I drank shakes. I did not notice anything different. I am still as strong as when I was taking Whey protein.

If you're as strong as you were 1 month ago, then you've made no progress.

So you were taking them every day? or just off and on for 15 years, protein is protein, Whey is probably the only supplement I think is worth taking the rest or not they just help you get in quick protein.

I prefer real foods, because whey causes me to get inflammation and gives me diarhea or constipation.

I just stick to eggs, steak, salmon, chicken, etc and beans.

I was taking them off and on for the last 15 years. There is also a plateu I hit and most of the times I can't get past it. It happened to me the last 2 months I was taking Protein and I have maintained that plateau for the last month.

literature on nutrition/diet changes after every trend. From grazing to IF and now the timing is even disputed. I've had fighters perplexed on why I only eat at night after training. They skip dinners and that's mind-boggling to me. Do whatever works for you.
It changes every trend because there is promising evidence but like everything it has to stand the test of time.

The verdict on intermittent fasting is actually interesting because it actually does show that's it's less than optimal for your hormones and muscle retention and that spreading out your protein through out the day is superior. So it's sort of like a yo-yo. It's great for short bursts when cutting or for outliers such as yourself though.

But if we are using leangains as a metric for IF even Martin berkhan knew the importance of nutrient timing. Pre workout nutrition was integral to the lean gains protocol.

+Juan on the guinea pig stuff lol. I remember back in the day when Ripped Fuel and Hydroxycut were coming out and they were loaded with all kinds of shit that was killing football players. I took them anyway, was on Ripped Fuel for a year straight without taking a break from it, then an article came out talking about how it did the same damage to your heart valves as cocain. Not long after that a couple of college athletes croaked from using it and that was all she wrote for that blend of it.

None of that shit was 'FDA' approved. Being into lifting and taking supplements is basically like being a volunteer for random trials for unapproved experimental drugs lol. Andro was the only big one from back then that I didn't try, I was already taking too much shit as it was. That said, I remember the Home Run era in baseball in the late 90's where Mark McGwire was actually doing commercials for the stuff haha. That shit was all the rage -then, like ripped fuel, it gets pulled from shelves because they needed to switch up ingredients because it had some borderline shit in it.

Those were the days lol

Man same here, i was buying all kinds of stuff back in high school, when mcgwire and sosa were doing the homerun record race, baseball was on fire. And mcgwire was dalled out for roids, and so was sosa cause they got huge, mcgwire said he only took whey, creatine and andro over the counter.

Everyone started buying whey, creatine and buying andro at gnc, then they removed andro and in the early 2000s they took prohormones off the shelves, there was one supp that legit worked but damaged your liver i think it was called x factor? Dudes were getting jaundice on that, it got them big, a lot of these supps are deadly man, when i learned about it not being regulated and articles coming out about tainted supps with metals and toxins and oral steroids i stopped.

I am a creatine non responder, i never got that water retention that made you look swole like others, and it gave me a headache so i never took it anymore and i felt kidney pains from it, last time i took creatine was back in 2004.

Yeah. Get a nutri bullet and make your own protein shakes. Eggs, peanut butter and skirt steak are all cheap sources as well.

I was taking them off and on for the last 15 years. There is also a plateu I hit and most of the times I can't get past it. It happened to me the last 2 months I was taking Protein and I have maintained that plateau for the last month.
Protein will not make you hit a plateau, its your workout routine, im guessing you are bodybuilding, doing workouts to try and develop your body so your muscles look bigger? If so you have to switch up your workout routines, switch up the weight and reps as well, and you will see a difference in muscle as long as you get in enough calories and protein and strict diet without fail daily you should grow after a couple of months.

Whey protein is essentially food, a by-product of the cheese making process, nothing magical about it.

I don't have the biggest appetite therefore eating huge portions of chicken breast and other proteins isn't easy for me, nor do I have the desire to spend all that time preping all those meals. For me it's far easier and quicker just to drink a shake.

If you can get all your protein from food than good for you. I just find it easier and more convenient hitting my daily macro targets using shakes in between my meals. Essentially do what ever suits you.

Whey protein is essentially food, a by-product of the cheese making process, nothing magical about it.

I don't have the biggest appetite therefore eating huge portions of chicken breast and other proteins isn't easy for me, nor do I have the desire to spend all that time preping all those meals. For me it's far easier and quicker just to drink a shake.

If you can get all your protein from food than good for you. I just find it easier and more convenient hitting my daily macro targets using shakes in between my meals. Essentially do what ever suits you.

Yeah thats why whey can be beneficial for those trying to maintain and build muscle, most people dont have huge appetites. And downing a shake is easy work unless you gag on it from the after taste.

I tried eating those multiple meals a day, and man it made me want to puke. I couldnt force myslef to eat because i was already full three hours later, and id have no appetite.

What worked for me was three whole meals a day with a shake inbetween, i put on some good size, recovered faster and my muscles had a good hardness to them.

Back