Are women just not funny? Do they not make good comedians?

Sometimes the job of a comedian is to make people laugh at them like a clown or jester. If by not being funny, embarrassing themselves and just flat out failing, then they have done their job.

Wanda Sykes is pretty darn funny though. Kristin Wiig is pretty funny in The Californians

That Emo Phillips chick was pretty funny.
I think she was also in the movie real genius.

Joan rivers was great. She's the one celeb i wish was still around

There were two sherdoggers posting their amateur stand up and they were both just brutal.

Mofo I just headlined in New Orleans and I'm booked all over now lol.

But yeah, most people don't realize what actual stand up comedy is like. We're so desensitized because we're used to the Carlin's and Pryor's that people actually think Joe Rogan is a bad comic lol.

Also most people see a stand up special and never go to a comedy show or mic night or anything like that. You're witnessing stand up comedy through a well designed and edited lens to only show you the best and that's not what stand up comedy is.

Stand up is dirty, it's grungy, one night it's killing in front of hundreds and the next it's bombing in front of ten. Comedy isn't a carefully crafted Netflix special, for me at this point in my career its headline shows at bars and opening shows at clubs, I get shit on here pretty hard but touring comics have nothing but praise so it evens out.. being a comic is never feeling too good about yourself lol.

On to the topic at hand, yes I absolutely think women are funny, Bill Burr laid into a female interviewer about this, if you're funny you're funny, keep doing it and people will notice and you'll come up.

I do think there is an unfair amount of criticism leveled at female comics though, and I've absolutely overheard plenty of people always bringing up the "but she's a woman" "she's only getting laugh because she's dirty" "people only like her because she's fat" people only like her because she's pretty"

There are a lot of insecure dudes who don't like female comics because they can't handle the idea of a woman being funnier than them ( the old "funniest guy at the office" type... Those dudes are always fucking cunts in my experience)

If you can't relate to a female comic that's fine, that's one thing, but to blanket statement that women aren't funny in general is dumb. Quit giving SJWs ammo people.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean women are inherently less funny. It just means less women go into comedy. Some of the funniest people I know IRL are women.
That's just the beer talking.

There is a girl that performs at the comedy cellar in NYC that I've seen many many times and she is fucking hysterical.

I can't remeber her name for the life of me tho. Monday nights at the comedy cellar in NYC is always a great time with great comedians.

One of my ex’s does comedy and moved to NYC, she’s pretty funny and hot too.

Little short blonde, Tracy Jane. I used to call her TJ

Whilst I can well imagine its not as easy to make it as a female standup I do tend to think that culturally men are naturally more at home.

A lot of male interaction tends towards humour more to me, entertaining others or putting them. Women tending to be more open with each other probably have less need for this and definitely I'd say tend towards using it less to pickups friends or partners. Self depreciation as well is something I would say that culturally there often talked away from yet if you look at the successful female comics mentioned in this thread its pretty much universal and arguably the style of comedy women have most success with, someone like Silverman naming her biography "the bedwetter" being a bit of a giveaway.

Honestly I do tend to think that simply due to a lack of numbers we haven't really had a female standup who stacks up with the very best male standups ever like say George Carlin, Stewart Lee, Bill Hicks, etc.

Last edited:
Sexual selection predicts that males will be the most competitive in display rituals.

Evolution literally predicts women won't be as funny as the most funny men.

Also there is greater variability in the male population leading to greater hughs and lows. Women are more average. This is because historically the majority of men don't breed where as most women do.

Not a ton of female comedians whom I find funny, but Rita Rudner is certainly in the top 10-20 of comedians. Her facial expressions were hilarious and she wasn't one of those "muh vagina" comedians either.

To be fair to women, standup comedy is a medium that even 95% of the guys who do it aren't exceptionally funny in, at least in my opinion.

And there's the whole thing that women don't have to be funny to attract mates, whereas for men it's a huge plus, so men are more inclined, etc.

That said, there are some really funny female comedic actors. I think standup is just a really tough medium, or at least rarely impressive.

Yep exactly, also working in child care the girls are quite frankly just as funny if not more funny than the boys (averaged out of the hundreds of kids). I think it just doesn't translate to stand up.

My wife makes me Lolz. No intentional clue. She says some whaxky nonsense and I laugh.

Back