Are women just not funny? Do they not make good comedians?

It depends on taste.

As an English kid growing up in the mid-90’s, early 00’s, the bulk of where I got my humour from came from people making comedy characters out of themselves, like Rik Mayall, Adrian Edmondson, David Walliams and Matt Lucas. You laughed at them because they were designed to be laughed at.

Lee Evans was more in line with the traditional stand up comic, but he was relatable and his energetic stage mannerisms really made him popular. You laughed with him because whilst he made a fool of himself, he was relatable in his material and likeable as a person, as he came off as modest and a genuinely nice person.

With American comics, I usually get the impression that they are either smart arse or crude for the sake of crude. Tend to come off as arrogant.

Mofo I just headlined in New Orleans and I'm booked all over now lol.

It wasn't you.

One guy was Canadian. He posted his bits in the P&M. It was just embarrassing. THere was nothing funny about the premise or set up and his delivery was brutal. He tried to make fun of the fact that his jokes weren't funny and that was even worse.

Katherine Ryan amused me once, but aside from that i can't think of another time where a woman said something funny.

They're just shit at comedy. Vastly inferior.

Im not sure if women are suited to stand-up comedy..
but I have come across plenty of women who had good one liners and were witty in general...

Who ever said Rita Rudner was right. Totally forgot about her.

Also, some of the SNL chicks were very funny. Jan Hooks, Tina Fey, Amy Pohler, and Maya Rudolph are all hilarious.

I think Julia Louise Dreyfus is a comedic acting genius. Veep is hilarious.

There are funny female comedians, but just not that many. I think the problem is that the public seems to choose the wrong female comics to push.

Back in the day, Rosanne Barr and Whoopi Goldberg became big stars despite their standup being complete crap. Ellen Degeneres was hilarious back then but she didn't become famous til much later.

Sarah Silverman was hilarious for a bit, but they were giving Molly Shannon millions to make stupid movies.

Even now, Natasha Leggero is hilarious, and yet Amy Schumer gets a TV show and movie deals.

Blame the public for having no taste.

They aren't stand-up comics but...

Kathy Burke and Dawn French.

I didn't watch much of her stand-up but Joan Rivers was pretty funny when I watched her on the Apollo.

Can't think of anyone else.

I watched a rerun on YouTube of Howard Stern doing a hottest /funniest woman bit. Two of the three woman were pretty funny in conversation. But when it came to the stand up part the humor definitely took a nose dive.

It's funny, as that was supposed to be the funniest part. Maybe stand up is just an awkward medium.

Some of Kathleen Madigan's stuff is pretty good, and she doesn't rely on shock comedy, or "women's issues" to get a laugh.

That said, I wouldn't put her in my top 10 or anything, but I've seen some genuinely funny stuff from her. I can't say that for too many other female stand up comedians.

I do think they make fine comedic actresses though, and can compete with the men in that regard.

my own theory is that women by nature are more nurturing and compassionate, and a lot of comedy involves finding faults in others and in pointing it out as a joke. men are more inclined to find these faults and point them out in jest. that's not natural for women, which is why the majority of great comedians are men, and the few women comedians who are funny, are performing comedy like men.

There were two sherdoggers posting their amateur stand up and they were both just brutal.
ha yeah i've seen those dreads posted and good on them if they want to do that and are working at it, but no interest in watching

They just dont make me laugh much at all. Im sure there are funny ones here and there, but man, most are the opposite of funny...

Still, i want them to keep trying. Only one way for them to get better, and hopefully make me laugh one day.

There are lots of funny women comics who's shtick isn't just "my vagina did something gross" like Amy Schumer. I got rid of my Sirius radio so I can't think of names right now. Chelsea Peretti, Natasha Leggero, Maria bamford.

I have a soft spot in my heart and a wet spot in my undies for Natasha Legerro. She was an extra on Reno 911 ages ago.

Leggero is legit funny

Its weird, I've met tons of really funny girls in my lifetime - proper funny birds, with weird sense of humour. But I have yet to see a single female stand-up comedian that has made me laugh.

There's one chick, American, who I've seen on a few panel show type things and she's always made me laugh. Recently however, I flicked onto a stand-up routine from her and thought 'shit, maybe this is the one - the female standup routine that finally cracks me up'!

It didn't. it was fucking rubbish.

I've been watching a lot of stand up comedy on Youtube and I just do not remember seeing any stand up by a female performer that was more than just "entertaining."

Do you think either of these girls are funny?

This girl, for example

or this girl

It's all perspective ... whenever I watch a standup thing with my girl or sister they always think the female comedians are hilarious and not as much the guys

Ellen Degenerous has legit great standup specials.

Like others have said Maria Branford, Legero and Sarah Silverman (but her material has worn thin over time imo).

Roseanne and Joan Rivers killed it back in the day.

It wasn't you.

One guy was Canadian. He posted his bits in the P&M. It was just embarrassing. THere was nothing funny about the premise or set up and his delivery was brutal. He tried to make fun of the fact that his jokes weren't funny and that was even worse.

Ohhh yeah. A whole lot of cringe but that's the early days of comedy. I was pretty fucking garbage my first couple of years.

I used to do guest spots on new blood shows. It's cool because when people finish a comedy class their friends and family come out to support them but honestly I can't sit through an hour and a half of that cringe anymore.

ha yeah i've seen those dreads posted and good on them if they want to do that and are working at it, but no interest in watching

Pshhh rude. The video of me beating Gerald Harris in a roast battle is pretty funny. "After all the divorces you've been through I don't know who hates you more, your ex wife or Dana White" was a solid roast.

Back