Are you passionate about what you do?

Do the best I can and try and be positive. I'll feel sick if my finished product isn't everything it should be and more. Pride in a job well done is a good feeling.

Of all the jobs I've worked, I've never been passionate about them.

IT Architecture & Ops. I do what I do for money, not love. I’m a professional engineer, I chose engineering because I have an aptitude for maths, physics, and suchlike and thought I could monetise it. I left university in the late 90s and walked right into a job in the then-nascent Internet industry, and it made me pretty rich.

It’s not particularly interesting, but in 20+ years, there hasn’t been a single day when I haven’t wanted to go into work. That’s not the same as waking up and being excited to go to work, but in my experience, very few people will ever feel that. Just so long as I don’t wake up and think “I don’t want to go in today”, that’s good enough for me.

The things I am genuinely passionate about aren’t very profitable - skateboarding, running & fitness training, kayaking, travel, cooking etc. Certainly not in the way that IT has been. There’s also the not inconsiderable fact that whenever I try to to any of those things in excess, they become highly frustrating.

Nah man. I'm a sales manager, we sell power equipment into data centres. I don't really enjoy sales too much and I'm not really a tech head. It does pay well though and I enjoy what it allows me and my family to do.

I'm passionate about MMA and boxing, sports in general and metal music. I do have an option for doing some paid work in MMA coming up but I won't be able to quit my job just yet of course. The novelty for being paid for something Im truly passionate about would be amazing.

Sometimes you realize working very hard for something only to realize the enjoyable part was the challenge of getting there to begin with.

Its not the destination its the journey mannnnn
life is s Lego set. It's fun to build, but once it's finished it's just not as cool as you imagined it'd be

I'm in construction management. I'm working on megaprojects so it's very exciting for me...I would go so far as saying I really enjoy my job.

Having said that, it's terribly hard work and exhausting . So if I didn't have to work, I wouldn't.

My main job is being the night cook at a famous local restaurant

Do I love cooking? Yes. And as far as a job being a cook goes I get paid as good as it gets. But it's not a career or something I can take pride in, although I do take pride in my abilities, just the current job isn't achieving my capability

I love my job but can't share what I do. I'm blessed.

Providing a service to make a buck, don't get it twisted, a means to an end. Find passion outside your job.

Hey all

What is your job and do you enjoy what you do? What meaning have you found in your job and do you think it is important to be passionate in your profession?

I am interested in hearing your answers as I should technically be very happy - I graduated last year with a job many longed for. My job is seen as prestigious, pays well and has upward mobility. However, I find myself hating it as I find the work to be meaningless. All I do day in day out is to help companies obtain loans - I have no control over how the companies will use the money they get and my job is not helping anyone in need. I desperately want to go somewhere else but, whenever I mention it, I get told I'm "ungrateful" or "that's how things always are" and I end up feeling stupid and drained.

But then...let's be honest...apart from martial arts, I don't really know what I am truly passionate about either. I am a banker btw. Highly qualified on paper - not so much for life.
Your humanity is fighting this artificially reconstructed world. Your instincts realize there’s no fucking way it was brought to this planet to be doing this bullshit. That there has to be a greater plan.

Law Enforcement. Absolutely love what I do, and love the fact that it provides for my Family.

The red tape is always annoying, though.
Some people think “red tape” is a way for the government to maintain secrecy over it literally anything it wants to. Do you think that’s true?

My career is in music, it's two parts:

1. Tour drummer. I've done this for many years, usually working at hotels attached to 5 Star Hotels overseas.
2. Music School Owner. I owned a music school for approx 16 years. Last year I sold it, and started a new business; online music education programs, sold directly to various types of schools-DL schools, ESL schools, Virtual Schools, etc, through out North America.

I love both aspects of my career.

The tour stuff, I'm still passionate about. I get tired of the travel part sometimes; airports, jet lag, etc. Its well worth it on stage though. I like playing music for people, helping them have a great time. I love making bitches dance, then banging them. All these years later its still fun.

Business wise. The passion for my music school dieded over time...the last 5 years or so were annoying, I was hating it, going through the motions, people could tell. Just got tired of the redundancy. I got sick of having my business being confined to a small-ish town. Same people. Same shit.

Being that my new business is online based, my passion for business is back, in full force. I love what I'm doing. Since I started this new version a year ago, my desire to work is infectious. I'm sure its just the 'honeymoon' phase, but I'll take it while it lasts.

I love being able to get business outside of 50 square miles. Profit wise, this model is much more lucrative. My business lease is up in August/2019. I will not be renewing, and by then all my instructors will be set up to work from home, plus my administrators...and myself. No brick and mortar needed. I can't wait. I basically work from home these days anyways, but it will be nice to reduce that overhead cost, and work from wherever the fuck I want to.

My plan is to live/work in different locations, around the globe. As long as I have good internet, I can work. @Primitivo thus the interest in PR spots. Drinks are on me.

I do believe its a minority for a person to be "passionate" about their career. I think as long as you have passions in other areas of your life, you can deal with it. Its cool reading what others do on here.

There is only one reason I go to work everyday:

I don’t want to be homeless.

Nah not in the slightest

The money's good though, and even that's getting old to be honest

I spend more time sherdoging than working when Im at work, my jobs shit but it pays well

I'm in between shit factory work and shit cook work at shit restaurants. If I can get an old charge dropped I'm going back to school for nursing but not sure if I'll be able to any time soon.

If your a young guy, and even if you are not, there is time to change..Don’t buy into the absolute bullshit that others project on you about being ungrateful..

Understand, most everyone around you are sleepwalking and they feel much better about themselves if you join them.

For me I do and have done a few different things, mostly always self employed. I derive great satisfaction from making my own way on my own schedule...

I encourage you to pursue happiness and passion FIRST, the money follows on its own. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Anyone can be passionate and enjoy what they do if they are driven by achievement. Being good at what I do is a source of pride for me. Also, your work is a chance to humble yourself if you start at or near the bottom.

I get a lot out of my job but not because it would be my hobby otherwise.

Some people think “red tape” is a way for the government to maintain secrecy over it literally anything it wants to. Do you think that’s true?
It can be, though that may not always be an inherently evil thing. The government, at all levels, sometimes needs to make decisions which may not be too popular with everyone.

The red tape I’m specifically referring to affects how we’re able to perform our duties, based on the input of non-governmental organizations.

Back