Are your local animal shelters almost completely pitbulls and chihuahuas?

ProBoxingInsidr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My dog passed a year and a half ago and I think I am finally ready tget a new one. However, I have noticed that here in Las Vegas, the shelters are 99% pitbulls and chihuahuas. i have looked from time to time over the years and it has been that way for the 11 years i have lived here. it is basically impossible to find anything else unless you find some specific breed rescue online.

so is it that was everywhere else now? or is it a specific thing to Las Vegas? I love all dogs but have no interest in owning either of these breeds.

i actually worked at the Humane Society in northern Nevada 15 years ago and they had quite a few pitbulls, but there were always plenty of other kinds available too. i am thinking i might get a greyhound from one of their rescue sites if i cant find anything local

My dog passed a year and a half ago and I think I am finally ready tget a new one. However, I have noticed that here in Las Vegas, the shelters are 99% pitbulls and chihuahuas. i have looked from time to time over the years and it has been that way for the 11 years i have lived here. it is basically impossible to find anything else unless you find some specific breed rescue online.

There's your problem. You live in the land of bros and whores. These are their preferred dogs.

There's your problem. You live in the land of bros and whores. These are their preferred dogs.
there are plenty of people here that dont want pitbulls. we arent all 25 year olds trying to act hard because of our tough dog. and actually, i lived here for a year back in 1999 and it was nothing like this either.

there are plenty of people here that dont want pitbulls. we arent all 25 year olds trying to act hard because of our tough dog.

Sure, but those are the type of people that generally keep their pet, not put them in shelters.

The trashy ones are the ones who die unexpectedly, go to jail, abuse, and abandon their dogs more frequently.

so is it that was everywhere else now? or is it a specific thing to Las Vegas? I love all dogs but have no interest in owning either of these breeds.

i actually worked at the Humane Society in northern Nevada 15 years ago and they had quite a few pitbulls, but there were always plenty of other kinds available too. i am thinking i might get a greyhound from one of their rescue sites if i cant find anything local

Come to Jersey, we got German shepherds for days.

Come to Jersey, we got German shepherds for days.
not my type either, though they are great dogs. i really dont want to buy one from a breeder and it seems like such a long, drawn out, pain in the ass process to get them from these breed specific rescues. but it appears that is what i am going to have to do. like i said, i think it wouldbe cool to get a greyhound as long as it doesnt mistake my elderly cat for a rabbit

Sure, but those are the type of people that generally keep their pet, not put them in shelters.

The trashy ones are the ones who die unexpectedly, go to jail, abuse, and abandon their dogs more frequently.
but that is true anywhere. thats why i was asking if this is a las vegas specific problem/issue or if it is like this everywhere

I feel sad that so many Pitbull s are adopted by idiots just trying to look cool for owning a Pitbull.

Just had to put down my big dog last Friday. Send someone with a kind heart into an animal shelter and roll the dice.Shelters really do have some of the best dogs like my man Barkley here.659A4E2A-7CD0-478A-BECB-5F115179E1F5.jpeg

From what I've seen, pits/pit mixes are by far the most common in the shelters in my area. Labs, little terrier dogs, and mixes in general, are pretty common too. A purebred Golden Retriever, GSD, etc, would be a rare find.

Just had to put down my big dog last Friday. Send someone with a kind heart into an animal shelter and roll the dice.Shelters really do have some of the best dogs like my man Barkley here.View attachment 383693
good looking guy. this was my dog. i told this story before....i was working at the humane society and he came in from another shelter. everyone was terrified of him and he was pretty aggressive towards everyone. he was removed from a home where he had been abused. i have no fear of dogs, so i came in early every day and sat in his cage and talked to him. he was all bark, no bite. he would bark all ferociously, but never get too close to me. i wouldnt look at him, but just talk calmly. every day the barks got less and he moved closer. after a week he just sat on me and it was like he told me he was claiming me.

from that moment on he was attached to me. i took him all over the building to socialize him and he got better, but was completely attached to me. the only time he left my side was one day when i took him into a kennel with some 6 wk old puppies. they all "attacked" him and he took of running down the hall. anyway, he actually ended up passing his temperment test after a few weeks, but he was never friendly with anyone visiting him. the space was super limited and they told me that he was going to be put down (no such thing as a no kill shelter). i was not in a place to take him, but i couldnt let him go after i worked so hard and he became so attached. so i took him and had him for 14 years. best dog i ever had. i may have yelled at him twice in all those years.

the end was really bad though. he went in for surgery on stones in his urethra. unfortunately, that coincided with the beginning of my getting a staph infection. that almost killed me and when he was not recovering, i was barely able to get there to be with him as we put him down. i went to the hospital that night and stayed for 12 days, but made sure i was there to be with him in his final moments. it took all i had, and i wish i could have spent more quality time, but i was there and that meant a lot.

16196605_10154756540325631_1738875018_o.jpg

When I was looking for a dog for my kids, none of the local shelters had any sort of small dog that wasn't knocking on deaths door. But a large percentage were advertised as "terrier mix" or "lab mix", which is just another way of saying pit bull mutt. I finally found an older lady with a batch of puppies the size I was looking for (small)

BTW, anyone else remember that days when people would basically give away mixed breed puppies? Guess those days are gone. People were wanting $700-$1500 for MUTT puppies. Are people really dumb enough to pay that?

When I was looking for a dog for my kids, none of the local shelters had any sort of small dog that wasn't knocking on deaths door. But a large percentage were advertised as "terrier mix" or "lab mix", which is just another way of saying pit bull mutt. I finally found an older lady with a batch of puppies the size I was looking for (small)

BTW, anyone else remember that days when people would basically give away mixed breed puppies? Guess those days are gone. People were wanting $700-$1500 for MUTT puppies. Are people really dumb enough to pay that?
yea, those "rehoming" fees are crazy. when i was at the humane society, the rules to adopt a pitbull were you had to be at least 25, live in a house with a 6 foot fence, and no kids under 12 in the home. so being labeled a pitbull was basically a death sentence. they would try to call it something else if possible. not sure if that is the same where you are

That is how it is in my area. All pits and chihuahuas. We had to drive damn near 100 miles to get our mini-schnauzer. It is unfortunate, but those breeds are the dogs of morons.

good looking guy. this was my dog. i told this story before....i was working at the humane society and he came in from another shelter. everyone was terrified of him and he was pretty aggressive towards everyone. he was removed from a home where he had been abused. i have no fear of dogs, so i came in early every day and sat in his cage and talked to him. he was all bark, no bite. he would bark all ferociously, but never get too close to me. i wouldnt look at him, but just talk calmly. every day the barks got less and he moved closer. after a week he just sat on me and it was like he told me he was claiming me.

from that moment on he was attached to me. i took him all over the building to socialize him and he got better, but was completely attached to me. the only time he left my side was one day when i took him into a kennel with some 6 wk old puppies. they all "attacked" him and he took of running down the hall. anyway, he actually ended up passing his temperment test after a few weeks, but he was never friendly with anyone visiting him. the space was super limited and they told me that he was going to be put down (no such thing as a no kill shelter). i was not in a place to take him, but i couldnt let him go after i worked so hard and he became so attached. so i took him and had him for 14 years. best dog i ever had. i may have yelled at him twice in all those years.

the end was really bad though. he went in for surgery on stones in his urethra. unfortunately, that coincided with the beginning of my getting a staph infection. that almost killed me and when he was not recovering, i was barely able to get there to be with him as we put him down. i went to the hospital that night and stayed for 12 days, but made sure i was there to be with him in his final moments. it took all i had, and i wish i could have spent more quality time, but i was there and that meant a lot.

16196605_10154756540325631_1738875018_o.jpg

Thanks yours as well. Had a Newf that loved the snow and was a big old slobbery mess when I lived in Kansas City a few years back. Wonderful animal great with kids. Ours loved to lean his weight onto you like he didn’t know he’s like a buck fifty

Chihuahuas and pits are the two worst breeds. I can see why people get rid of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back