Are your local animal shelters almost completely pitbulls and chihuahuas?

Just had to put down my big dog last Friday. Send someone with a kind heart into an animal shelter and roll the dice.Shelters really do have some of the best dogs like my man Barkley here.View attachment 383693

Had to put my best buddy Mia down almost two years ago due to cancer. Still hurts me to this day.

Sorry about your dog. Mine was a Golden Retriever, too.

There are hardly any dogs in the shelters here but the ones there are seem to be some type of terrier that looks like a pit bull. Insurance companies will drop coverage and landlords won't allow any dog that might be part pit bull. Any other dog gets adopted quickly.

The shelters are full of cats. I can understand why. The adoption fees and the cost of spaying are pretty high. You can get kittens free.

BTW, anyone else remember that days when people would basically give away mixed breed puppies? Guess those days are gone. People were wanting $700-$1500 for MUTT puppies. Are people really dumb enough to pay that?
I was looking through the local paper yesterday and people were charging money for mutts. Not even those silly designer mutts (that so often end in poo) but regular run of the mill mutts of indeterminable origin. I couldn’t believe it. If I’m going to pay money it’s going to be for a dog with documented lineage.

I live in Miami and it's litterally the exact same thing..
Everyone buys pitbulls and leaves them outside my whole neighborhood is pitbulls barking at me and my dog as we walk by.
I actually saved a ladys little dog from getting mangled by sometype of pit mix.
Kicked the dog right in the anus 3x before it finally let go of the little dog and listened to it's dumbass owner who didn't have a leash on her "pit".

a 105 lb lady trying to control her dog from mailing another dog without me that dog would have died 100 percent

Idk why on earth someone would want a chihuahua...my sister in law had one, it was the worst, annoying as fuck...

When I was looking for a dog for my kids, none of the local shelters had any sort of small dog that wasn't knocking on deaths door. But a large percentage were advertised as "terrier mix" or "lab mix", which is just another way of saying pit bull mutt. I finally found an older lady with a batch of puppies the size I was looking for (small)

BTW, anyone else remember that days when people would basically give away mixed breed puppies? Guess those days are gone. People were wanting $700-$1500 for MUTT puppies. Are people really dumb enough to pay that?
When I was a kid, we couldn’t keep our boxer off our husky, and gave away two or three liters of puppies. Back then, people were honest. We called them mixed puppies. We didn’t make up cutesie bullshit names like “yorkie poo” or “puggle”

yea, those "rehoming" fees are crazy. when i was at the humane society, the rules to adopt a pitbull were you had to be at least 25, live in a house with a 6 foot fence, and no kids under 12 in the home. so being labeled a pitbull was basically a death sentence. they would try to call it something else if possible. not sure if that is the same where you are
I’ve tried adopting from my local Humane Society multiple times and they’ve turned me down every time because I don’t have a fence. I live on a farm with over 40 acres for a dog to roam but they still refused due to not having a fence.

When I was a kid, we couldn’t keep our boxer off our husky, and gave away two or three liters of puppies. Back then, people were honest. We called them mixed puppies. We didn’t make up cutesie bullshit names like “yorkie poo” or “puggle”
In other words, your family didn't do the responsible thing and get your dogs fixed. Almost 4 million dogs per year get put down because of bullshit stories like yours.

That is how it is in my area. All pits and chihuahuas. We had to drive damn near 100 miles to get our mini-schnauzer. It is unfortunate, but those breeds are the dogs of morons.
My uncle had a mini schnauzer and it was the worst fuckin dog

Bit kids, shit everywhere, just a terrible dog all around.

Had to put my best buddy Mia down almost two years ago due to cancer. Still hurts me to this day.

Sorry about your dog. Mine was a Golden Retriever, too.

Sorry to hear that, it’s a sad time now. Unconditional love is not something that you find easily or is easily replaced in this world.
Golden Retrivers have this down to a science by my estimation.

adopt a retired racer.
adopt.jpg

They have great temperaments and very affectionate. Plus they sleep all day. Perfect for an apartment.

In other words, your family didn't do the responsible thing and get your dogs fixed. Almost 4 million dogs per year get put down because of bullshit stories like yours.
Do you just troll the internet just looking for ways to be a dick to strangers? For fucks sake, it was years ago and he was a kid.

I follow a local rescue online and they seem to get lots of different dogs. Haven’t really looked at the animal shelter. I only really look at rabbits and guinea pigs tbh lol.

Idk why on earth someone would want a chihuahua...my sister in law had one, it was the worst, annoying as fuck...

They are pretty much one person dogs who bark at everything. My sister has one.

I adopted a Chihuahua Pit mix but from an owner not from a shelter. At first I thought it was bizarre... and it kinda is, but it makes sense with all the shelter dogs being primarily the two breeds. We love our dog and she is a good mutt. Perfect size too just under 25 pounds.

Yes, after the second litter we did. Not that I had any say in the matter, as I was 8-9 years old. Dickwad.

I’ve met cool pits. I’ve never met a cool chihuahua.
Here, now you have. Actually, 3/4" long hair chihuahua and 1/4 fox terrier.
I despised chihuahuas before, but wanted a small dog for the kids. She's laid back and not the typical shivering, yapping, puddle of piss most chihuahuas seem to be.

IMG_0114.JPG

I’ve tried adopting from my local Humane Society multiple times and they’ve turned me down every time because I don’t have a fence. I live on a farm with over 40 acres for a dog to roam but they still refused due to not having a fence.

They had some stupid conditions here. They wanted all adopted dogs kept indoors and only go outside to relieve themselves or go for a walk. Now they do adopt to people who have fenced in yards. They also adopt barn cats which are feral cats that won't live in a house. They won't adopt farm dogs though.

People who have dogs to re-home, as it seems to be called these days, want hundreds of dollars for dogs of unknown pedigree who aren't spayed or neutered. Maybe they do that to make certain the dog isn't being purchased for bait or food.

Back