Are your local animal shelters almost completely pitbulls and chihuahuas?

i have one. i had 2 but the other died a couple years agi took them on their death days. the older one died at 19 and the other one i still have is about 18 right now
nice dude, my 2 old men are 17 now, and paul newman is like 5

nice dude, my 2 old men are 17 now, and paul newman is like 5
awesome. i had one real regret when i worked at the humane society. 2 sister cats came in that were 21 years old. there elderly owner died. the bitch running the shelter gave them 2 days and euthanized them. cats that old deserved to live out their last days in comfort, not being euthanized in a shelter.

my cat that died a couple years ago was a black cat blind in one eye from being kicked in the face. we tried so hard to adopt her out but she was so vicious nobody would take her. after 6 months they were going to put her down so i took her. 1 week of actual love and attention from me and she became an awesome cat, got to live out her life in comfort

24588_1405952348497_5543776_n.jpg

I used to fuckin hate cats but now i realize it takes time to get to know some of em,they are more challenging and complex but in some ways better than dogs. I used to hate ppl who like cats better than dogs but i see the other side now.

.....No. What a stupid question. You can find all manner of breeds at shelters.

I like watching those "Dog 101" shows on Animal Planet...the show that explains why certain dog breeds have particular traits bread into them.

There was an offshoot program discussing "What type of dog is right for your family". Within the program, dog trainers discussed stupid complaints people would ask them to fix:

1) Don't call me because your boarder collie keep pinning your child in the corner. That's what they were bread to do....herd.
2) Don't call me because your German Sheppard keeps barking at people walking by the house. That's what they were bread for...guard dogs.
3) Don't call me because your Jack Russell killed the pet bunny. That's what they were bread for....to kill vermin on farms.

I wonder how many people drop off dogs to shelters because they can't handle the exact trait they were bread for:

Wait, you pit bull is aggressive to anyone that is not you? Well what do you know, they were bread to be loyal to the alpha of the pack.

Wait, your chihuahua is high maintenance? You know that they were bred to be companions? Now, you are upset they poo and tear your house apart when you are at work.

not my type either, though they are great dogs. i really dont want to buy one from a breeder and it seems like such a long, drawn out, pain in the ass process to get them from these breed specific rescues. but it appears that is what i am going to have to do. like i said, i think it wouldbe cool to get a greyhound as long as it doesnt mistake my elderly cat for a rabbit
Retired racing greyhound is probably out of the question then. I’ve heard that even if you raise them from a puppy that sighthounds are a roll of the dice with cats and toy dogs around.

My dog passed a year and a half ago and I think I am finally ready tget a new one. However, I have noticed that here in Las Vegas, the shelters are 99% pitbulls and chihuahuas. i have looked from time to time over the years and it has been that way for the 11 years i have lived here. it is basically impossible to find anything else unless you find some specific breed rescue online.

so is it that was everywhere else now? or is it a specific thing to Las Vegas? I love all dogs but have no interest in owning either of these breeds.

i actually worked at the Humane Society in northern Nevada 15 years ago and they had quite a few pitbulls, but there were always plenty of other kinds available too. i am thinking i might get a greyhound from one of their rescue sites if i cant find anything local
Pits make up over half of the dogs in almost all animal shelters around the country, now. The last time I counted the Pits on the back page of my local paper it was 16/21 dog pictures listed in a 5x5 grid of photos (+4 cats).
Pit bulls dominate shelters

The Los Angeles Animal Services division literally maintains a separate category for Pitbulls unto themselves next to others like, "Dogs", "Cats", "Rabbits", etc.:
http://www.laanimalservices.com/about-us-2/statistics/

It's pretty telling.

Lol, typical Murrcan.

They get bored with their pet by the time they get home and then just throw it away.

On a side note I think it should be harder to acquire an animal.

These are living things and there should be some vetting process to acquire them.

In b4 yeah but it's bad for jobs and business.

not my type either, though they are great dogs. i really dont want to buy one from a breeder and it seems like such a long, drawn out, pain in the ass process to get them from these breed specific rescues. but it appears that is what i am going to have to do. like i said, i think it wouldbe cool to get a greyhound as long as it doesnt mistake my elderly cat for a rabbit

My rescue dog ended up costing me over 500 dollars. It would have been cheaper to buy a dog.

Retired racing greyhound is probably out of the question then. I’ve heard that even if you raise them from a puppy that sighthounds are a roll of the dice with cats and toy dogs around.
from my limited research, most rescue sites seem to say it depends on the particular dog and not the breed in general. furthermore, one rescue said that almost all of theirs are fostered in homes with cats. i would definitely do an introduction, though

Chihuahuas have to be the P4P worst breed.

Annoying, aggressive attitude + hideous, high-pitched bark + ugly as sin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back