Arizona Rep. Trent Franks to resign - asked two ex-staffers to be surrogates to carry his child...

Lol at all these Jesus loving assholes acting like fools

The Republican Party is the worst. These people stand on their platform and judge everyone and make like they are doing gods word.
You add absolutely nothing to any discussion on this forum. All of your posts are "fuck that piece of shit" and "republicans are assholes", and "GOP hates ____ and are all retarded". Absolutely 0 substance ever.

You add absolutely nothing to any discussion on this forum. All of your posts are "fuck that piece of shit" and "republicans are assholes", and "GOP hates ____ and are all retarded". Absolutely 0 substance ever.

Well when republicans aren't assholes please send me a message. Until that time shut your pie hole up.

hi SidJustice,

its definitely odd territory, but reading the congressperson's statement...he really does seem forlorn and chastised, and suffered a number of defeats (miscarriage) and adoptions that fell through (adoptions are an onerous process) in effort to grow his family.

and if these are the only facts of this particular situation, i'm unclear why there's this compulsion to rake this fellow over hot coals.

i mean, do you equate his behavior with others who have recently fallen?

- IGIT

Hi IGIT,

This guy and his wife have been married since 1980
hiya PolishHeadlock,

i've never been this kind of position, so i'm trying to empathize, so let me get your point of view on this;

you work all day, and when you're not working, you're fundraising...and when you're not fundraising, hopefully you get to visit your family a few hours a week.

you and your wife want to grow your family (i don't have any kids, the idea of having any is radioactive to me, but as i understand it, i am an outlier), and you take the idea of surrogacy really seriously.

you know two bright young women whom you respect (otherwise, why would the congressperson have them on this staff?) and you take into your trust.

you are desperate to have children (again, i do not understand this compulsion, but i recognize that most people seem to share it), so you ask two people you trust and respect to do so.

i get that this is odd situation, and the request seems (at least to me) to be a bit unusual.

but is this really the same as the POTUS groping women or Harvey Weinstein ejaculating one your leg?

i am not trying to be snarky, i think you're a solid poster.

just wanted your take on things.

- IGIT

I'm probably more cynical about how much our politicians actually work and not sure I agree with their lack of a social life.

With that said you could be right about his work life.

But the guy found out the Ethics Comittee started investigating and he stepped down.

Should they not investigate complaints? All we have is him stepping down and what most people consider a strange story.

I'll say before what I said in another thread which is that the Private Sector had their reckoning with sexual harassment and assault in the 80s and 90s.

I think Government/entertainment and journalism didnt get the memo because those are industries of passion and prestige that are hard to break into.

If I'm a chick and Harvey Weinstein wants me to watch him jerk off onto a plant for a movie role maybe it was worth it (hell as a guy I'd watch him to be the next Fat Thor). Same when it goes to becoming a producer on the Today Show or working on legislation you are passionate about as a Congressional aide.

Chicks in the 90s weren't as willing to do that to move up in accounting or finance. And now the floodgates have opened in these industries.

I'm sure innocent men will get implicated and we need to be viligiant of that.

But could you imagine a similar situation happening at a Fortune 500 company right now? An Executive having 2 assistants quit for harassment becasue he asked them to be surrogates?

Could you even imagine a CEO asking that question?

You said adoptions fell through which I'm assuming is adopting newborns. If he was that forlorn why not adopt a kid that already exists?

So yeah if the guy isn't willing to defend himself in this situation besides pulling a move that removes the spotlight I got no sympathy

Hi IGIT,

This guy and his wife have been married since 1980

I'm probably more cynical about how much our politicians actually work and not sure I agree with their lack of a social life.

With that said you could be right about his work life.

But the guy found out the Ethics Comittee started investigating and he stepped down.

Should they not investigate complaints? All we have is him stepping down and what most people consider a strange story.

I'll say before what I said in another thread which is that the Private Sector had their reckoning with sexual harassment and assault in the 80s and 90s.

I think Government/entertainment and journalism didnt get the memo because those are industries of passion and prestige that are hard to break into.

If I'm a chick and Harvey Weinstein wants me to watch him jerk off onto a plant for a movie role maybe it was worth it (hell as a guy I'd watch him to be the next Fat Thor). Same when it goes to becoming a producer on the Today Show or working on legislation you are passionate about as a Congressional aide.

Chicks in the 90s weren't as willing to do that to move up in accounting or finance. And now the floodgates have opened in these industries.

I'm sure innocent men will get implicated and we need to be viligiant of that.

But could you imagine a similar situation happening at a Fortune 500 company right now? An Executive having 2 assistants quit for harassment becasue he asked them to be surrogates?

Could you even imagine a CEO asking that question?

You said adoptions fell through which I'm assuming is adopting newborns. If he was that forlorn why not adopt a kid that already exists?

So yeah if the guy isn't willing to defend himself in this situation besides pulling a move that removes the spotlight I got no sympathy

hello Polish Headlock, thanks for the thought out reply,

in terms of what happens in white collar corporations...i have no idea. in my field, i saw my share of folks who slept around who were married in the eras you touched upon - and those who did so were often not on the same plane in the industry.

happened all the time (i'm talking about consensual activities).

back to the congressperson in question; i can't hypothesize why someone would want a newborn. for that matter, i can't imagine why anyone would want children at all, so this is a bit difficult for me.

i know this is ridiculous, but the animals i've adopted were always young ones. i know...i know...its sad that older animals are abandoned to shelters, and i think their owners should be flailed, but some folks just want a "newborn" and parent them through the arc of life.

as to fighting the charges? i don't fear much...but i do fear humiliation - and i think that's pretty normal. when i think about the degree of public awfulness that must come coupled with saying, publicly, "my sperm...it doesn't work, so this is what my wife and i decided to do..."

ugh.

that has to be awful. then to endure the mockery that would follow. for my wife. for my children. in this era.

i find Mr. Franks compulsion to step aside kind of understandable.

that said, i think the House Committee on Ethics should look into this...but if nothing aberrant is found, then what?

- IGIT

It's this guy???
o-TRENT-FRANKS-FUNDRAISING-RAPE-facebook.jpg

Ewwww
Imagine him trying to impregnate a chick.
He's got really bad genetics. I don't know how any woman could be sexually attracted to that face.
He looks like Mac from Always Sunny if he were wearing old man prosthetic makeup and it started melting...imo

hello Polish Headlock, thanks for the thought out reply,

in terms of what happens in white collar corporations...i have no idea. in my field, i saw my share of folks who slept around who were married in the eras you touched upon - and those who did so were often not on the same plane in the industry.

happened all the time (i'm talking about consensual activities).

back to the congressperson in question; i can't hypothesize why someone would want a newborn. for that matter, i can't imagine why anyone would want children at all, so this is a bit difficult for me.

i know this is ridiculous, but the animals i've adopted were always young ones. i know...i know...its sad that older animals are abandoned to shelters, and i think their owners should be flailed, but some folks just want a "newborn" and parent them through the arc of life.

as to fighting the charges? i don't fear much...but i do fear humiliation - and i think that's pretty normal. when i think about the degree of public awfulness that must come coupled with saying, publicly, "my sperm...it doesn't work, so this is what my wife and i decided to do..."

ugh.

that has to be awful. then to endure the mockery that would follow. for my wife. for my children. in this era.

i find Mr. Franks compulsion to step aside kind of understandable.

that said, i think the House Committee on Ethics should look into this...but if nothing aberrant is found, then what?

- IGIT

Wasn't the surrogate stuff public knowledge?

And I've known some professionals (below the executive levels and above) that dated. And they all kept on the hush/hush until it became serious at which point they directly went to HR to disclose the relationship

It depends on how he asked.

If as in a medical question, then I don't see the problem.

If more a I want you to have my baby, then he should be gone.

You would actually ask a female coworker....

Sorry, you would ask a subordinate (while being a congressman) to be a surrogate? And if 1 quit after you asked you'd ask another 1?

You're a normal person.

Do you know how a surrogate works. It ain't fucking dude. Christ, many women are surrogates. Some make a job of it.

Do you know how a surrogate works. It ain't fucking dude. Christ, many women are surrogates. Some make a job of it.

Yes I know how they work... do you?

You would ask a coworker (a subordinate) to carry your baby?

You don't find that creepy?

It's this guy???
o-TRENT-FRANKS-FUNDRAISING-RAPE-facebook.jpg

Ewwww
Imagine him trying to impregnate a chick.
He's got really bad genetics. I don't know how any woman could be sexually attracted to that face.

giphy.gif

Wasn't the surrogate stuff public knowledge?

And I've known some professionals (below the executive levels and above) that dated. And they all kept on the hush/hush until it became serious at which point they directly went to HR to disclose the relationship

hello again PH,

i don't know if any of this was public knowledge. certainly the arrangement he sought to make wasn't.

i just feel that there's a bit of a rush to judgement.

as Woody Allen said, "No one wants to discourage abuse victims from speaking out, but one must bear in mind that sometimes there are people who are falsely accused and that is also a terribly destructive thing."

Mr. Allen was crucified in the court of public opinion in the 90's as a child molester and for marrying the adopted stepdaughter of his girlfriend (who was an adult at the time. unusual? yes).

since then? he's been married for two decades with two adopted children of his own, with no incidents reported, even in the zeitgeist of the era we're in now, the fellow has maintained a clean record.

i guess i'm just troubled by the zeal and velocity at which men are getting buried coupled with the broad brushing i see going on.

so, what do you think?

if the House Committee on Ethics exonerates Mr. Franks - and for that matter, Senator Franken - what then?

just..."sorry to ruin you publicly in such a terrible manner? my bad?"

- IGIT

Last edited:
Yes I know how they work... do you?

You would ask a coworker (a subordinate) to carry your baby?

You don't find that creepy?

Idk. I wasn't there.

Did they have a close friendship?

So who do you ask to be a surrogate without it being awkward

And now awkward talk is harassment

hello again PH,

i don't know if any of this was public knowledge. i just feel that there's a bit of a rush to judgement.

as Woody Allen said, "No one wants to discourage abuse victims from speaking out, but one must bear in mind that sometimes there are people who are falsely accused and that is also a terribly destructive thing."

Mr. Allen was crucified in the court of public opinion in the 90's as a child molester and for marrying the adopted stepdaughter of his girlfriend (who was an adult at the time. unusual? yes).

since then? he's been married for two decades with two adopted children of his own, with no incidents reported, even in the zeitgeist of the era we're in now, the fellow has maintained a clean record.

i guess i'm just troubled by the zeal and velocity at which men are getting buried, and the broad brushing i see going on.

- IGIT

Oh... I definitely think Woody Allen is a fucked up teenager groomer.

I think Jerry Seinfeld and Paul Walker also groomed teenage girls when they were in there 30s and 40s.

I'm sure the context of the convo was something like "I'll put a baby in you, bitch". And he used the infamous "surrogate" excuse.
“Surrogate” lol these politicians. What’s wrong with them? (If it is this)

Even if it was a genuine issue without sexual innuendo, you just don’t go there with subordinate staffers.

Oh... I definitely think Woody Allen is a fucked up teenager groomer.

hiya again PolishHeadlock,

i get that. many people feel that way, though i don't.

he married a very young lady - and has stayed married to her for two decades. as long as she's reached the age of consent, i'm kind of a "live and let live" sort of fellow.

perhaps you did not see my edit, so i'll pose the question to you here;

if the House Committee on Ethics exonerates Mr. Franks - and for that matter, Senator Franken - what then?

just..."sorry to ruin you publicly in such a terrible manner? my bad?"

- IGIT

Then they should report that no? As stated its a bit weird to demonize it so much
I suspect that the essentially preemptive resignation means we'll never get a totally clear picture what happened

Back