arm curls yay or nay?

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
for years people hated on arm curls here but lately i see guys saying they do them in there training so whats the new idea of arm curls for athletic training

Shouldn't be the only focus of your workout, but depending on goals they usually are a good thing. The obvious one being grip strength. Try some hammer curls

You should train your whole body, including your biceps. Doing curls is fine. Dumbbell, barbell, preacher, hammer. Do'em all, homie.

well this isa mma site so i figure everyone here trains to be a better fighting athlete not body building

i never liked curls i always felt like my arms would fatigue if i did them regularly

well this isa mma site so i figure everyone here trains to be a better fighting athlete not body building

i never liked curls i always felt like my arms would fatigue if i did them regularly

Your arms would get tired from doing resistance exercise with them? Damn, I’d get that checked out.

How fatigued do your arms get when you roll? If your elbow flexors are a weak point and you feel they hold you back when you train BJJ/wrestling, then a few sets of hammer curls or Zottman curls twice per week might show positive results. Just depends on your goals. If having a balanced physique is important along side athletic performance then curls are fine to do.

i never liked curls
Then don't do them.

There is nothing special about them. 99.8% of people would be just fine without them. 99.9% of people would be just fine with them.

Don't fight the facts.

Watch out, the wrong curls can lead to fake titty arms...

iu

You've been warned. <30><6>

Shouldn't be the only focus of your workout, but depending on goals they usually are a good thing. The obvious one being grip strength. Try some hammer curls
wrong. Curls should be done twice a day, 7 days a week. 5x5 for power curls, and accessory with 10x10 for the guns that turn on nuns

for years people hated on arm curls here but lately i see guys saying they do them in there training so whats the new idea of arm curls for athletic training

Yeah! You should do a little bit of curling if you're strength training with weights. I would really limit it to one or two different exercises as assistance work on your deadlift day.

This is what I do for my deadlift day, which I hit my back and biceps in.

Deadlift. 3x 5 reps (85% of 5RM)
3m30s rest between sets

T-Bar Row. 3x 8 reps (max effort)
...... Superset with......
Pull ups. 3x 20 reps
2m45s rest between sets

Inverted Row. 3x 15 reps (bw w/ feet on box)
...... Super set with......
Dumbbell Row on bench 3x 12 (max effort)
2m45s rest between sets

Barbell Curl. 3x 8-12 reps (max effort)
1m45 rest between sets

Dumbbell Curl. 3x to failure (max effort with 55lb, 45lb, 35lb. No rest between sets.)

That's it for the entire week for direct bicep work and it's working pretty well for me. The important stuff is really the big compound movements. You'll get bigger arms with those various rows. And your back is really the most important muscle group for athletes. The entire posterior chain is important. You should be doing a good bit of pulling from various angles.

How fatigued do your arms get when you roll? If your elbow flexors are a weak point and you feel they hold you back when you train BJJ/wrestling, then a few sets of hammer curls or Zottman curls twice per week might show positive results. Just depends on your goals. If having a balanced physique is important along side athletic performance then curls are fine to do.
iv always had issues in fights and tournaments with forearm fatigue well legs everything tbh iv never lifted really just trained its not that my cardios bad but that my body just gasses

They are a must if for no other reason than the intimidation factor.

The general consensus among fighters and S&C coaches in combat sports has always been to eschew isolation exercises in favor of compound movements and more functional exercise. The logic given is always something to the effect of "you don't use single muscles when fighting.....". However, I believe, and have seen in real life application, that all fighters would be well served by working hard to build up the arms and shoulders. Of course you should be strong through the core and legs and everywhere else, but so many positions in grappling and fighting call upon the shoulders and arms to really take the brunt of the load while the back and legs easily provide support and stability. I have had every fighter, wrestler, etc Ive worked with do relatively heavy shoulder laterals and dumbbell curls.

iv always had issues in fights and tournaments with forearm fatigue well legs everything tbh iv never lifted really just trained its not that my cardios bad but that my body just gasses

You sound like me. I bet that's more of an adrenaline dump than actual fatigue.....at least it sounds like it. If I had to guess I bet when sparring in the gym and the pressure isn't on, you're not getting super tired or crazy arm pump. Get more experience in tournaments and that adrenaline will fade with more exposure to competition. You'll learn to relax, when to explode, and how to breath.

You sound like me. I bet that's more of an adrenaline dump than actual fatigue.....at least it sounds like it. If I had to guess I bet when sparring in the gym and the pressure isn't on, you're not getting super tired or crazy arm pump. Get more experience in tournaments and that adrenaline will fade with more exposure to competition. You'll learn to relax, when to explode, and how to breath.

no its not just n fights happens in gym when i grapple anyone who could test my open guard with passes i see some guys roll hard and can keep going im like wtf i wish i could do that i guess i need to do some lifting and conditiong

The general consensus among fighters and S&C coaches in combat sports has always been to eschew isolation exercises in favor of compound movements and more functional exercise. The logic given is always something to the effect of "you don't use single muscles when fighting.....". However, I believe, and have seen in real life application, that all fighters would be well served by working hard to build up the arms and shoulders. Of course you should be strong through the core and legs and everywhere else, but so many positions in grappling and fighting call upon the shoulders and arms to really take the brunt of the load while the back and legs easily provide support and stability. I have had every fighter, wrestler, etc Ive worked with do relatively heavy shoulder laterals and dumbbell curls.

yeah this meathead guy who use tot rain with us had big biceps and i thought hed gas fast but he had great endurance squeezing

Like it's already been said.. I'd do direct bicep work. They will get some work when training the back. But doing extra will also safe guard from injury especially when using a mixed grip on deads

The logic behind is tbat if you do enough pushes and pulls you are already training your arms. Additionally fighters do train their arms in the gym. I can speak for boxing... After 10 rounds of anything my arms and shoulders are freaking tired.

However if you hit the gym 3x week or less I guess there is nothing wrong about 3-8 sets of biceps curls and some triceps work per week. I have been using dips as a triceps work but I would also finish most work outs for upper bodywith a 3-4 of curls.

id usually do 3 sets of 15-20 arm curls 2 to 3 times a week should be ok right

Back