Armchair judging 10-8 rounds.

but my main question still stands. if you think they should be granted more than they are, and in your head do it anyway, then you are using unrealistic judging criteria.

and i'm just wondering why is all.

you can read my posts above. they're probably as puzzling to you as yours is to me. but i try to gauge a round as if i were a judge, using the same criteria. it's heavily subjective regardless, and therefore scoring is all over the place especially for close fights.

but at least then when a round is really scored badly i feel confident that i'm judging by the same criteria that judges are. and people who judge fights instead of rounds cannot, and from what you're saying neither can you.

again, not trying to insult. just trying to understand the motivation.
Chill out, I'm not insulted by any means (you're a respectful guy, keep on the good job!)

I know sometimes judges won't go for what I go (most of the time they do, stil), I'm okay with it: Most of the time I think "I'm scoring this, they'll be scoring that", but if I judge the round according to what other people think would be fair then I'm not the judge afterall, am I?
I mean, if I'm expected to judge I'm judging by my understanding, not that I'd judge everything wildly different, don't want to be that guy, but my call is my call.

I do think that UFC/NSAC judges overestimate LNP up to these days, Muay Thai are often more inflicted-damage-oriented, MMA judges should be just as so.

Would you agree with me if I said that judges are normal people like us who like to watch MMA and these normal people have feelings/personal criterias like any Sherdog john doe user?

Why is a 10-8 round considered "dominant" when it's a 10 point system? Why isn't a "dominant" round a 10-1?

Almost simul-post, except for your very questionable choice of 1-indexing. Quit programming in MATLAB and start using Python.

Yes
Damage (or Impact), Domination and Duration are the three criteria

if a fighter significantly has two of these it's a 10-8
it's pretty simple
that's what the judging criteria says, which is how I judge fights

I don't have my own critieria, that would be stupid

but if I judge the round according to what other people think would be fair then I'm not the judge afterall, am I?
not by what they think, just by their same criteria. totally different.

and i agree that AC's weigh LnP more heavily than i would like. but they do. therefore fighters plan their game out toward that criteria, not by some other criteria.

i think i get what you're saying though. thanks for the explanation. cheers.

What I’m sorta getting at is whether you’re tone changes fight to fight.
Example. If there’s 2 kind of nothing rounds but fighter A gets 10-9 then the 3rd B gets more damage in compared to the first two.

I think the ten-eights are usually pretty justified when I see them nowadays.

Off topic but I do think a lot more 10-9 rounds could easily be scored 10-10 or 9-9...

I think the ten-eights are usually pretty justified when I see them nowadays.

Off topic but I do think a lot more 10-9 rounds could easily be scored 10-10 or 9-9...
Not off at all.
I think it’d improve fights too be honest cos there’s more risk of not winning through coasting.
Relating to this I’m more inclined to give someone a 10-8 if the proceeding rounds were non eventful and then more happens. More 10-10s would stop this in my head anyway.

Just a quick question. Most of us here will judge a fight we watch and have our own criteria.

My question is do you have a set criteria for giving a 10-8 Rd. Or does it change within the context of a fight?
10-10 for rounds too close to call
10-9 for a competitive round but 1 clear winner
10-8 for dominant round
10-7 for someone almost died

The whole point of having multiple judges is that every decision fight can be scored a few different ways. I think judges should just go with their gut instinct. Sometimes, I'll score a round 10-8, and then I'll find out later that the majority of fans/analysts had it 10-9.

I believe there shouldnt be any rigid guidelines to judging. However, I consider the 3-D rule to be sufficient when it comes to making the distinction between a 10-8 and 10-9. You just need to see 2 of the 3: duration, damage, dominance.

After that, it should be left up to the judge to process what he sees. All I ask is that the judge understand fighting.

I largely agree, but being competitive should not necessarily negate a 10-8. If that's what you mean by saying all the moments that matter go one way, then we're on the same page.
Yeah. If a round is competitive but one fighter lands 2 knockdowns, for example. Or even one knockdown, depending on other things.

10-8 for me is when the fighter losing the round mounts virtually no offense or comes extremely close to being finished. If both, 10-7.

Back