Armys Next Generation Combat Vehicle

What advantage does bipedal locomotion offer over wheeled?

the technology isnt there yet but theoretically, it would be traversing difficult terrain like steep hills and mountains. Maybe even allow it to climb. Even in Scifi these days, they are combining wheels with legs for mechs these days.

What advantage does bipedal locomotion offer over wheeled?
Eventually but no where near immediately the ability to pass non passable terrain. Whilst having all systems controlled by a singular person including weapons systems I guess..

Meh. It's no AAV.

It is an APC. Crew of 2 (driver and gunner) + 11 passengers. Yeah, it is a tight fit. The M113 is old, dating back to the 1960s. I was actually made to get a license for it when I went through IOBC at Ft. Benning. They are fun to drive in the mud. The Bradley (BFV) was a much better option.

Inside the M113:
592px-M113_Interior.jpg
The Marines have something called an LAV that's been around awhile. Basically a smaller Brad (only holds 6 in the back) and not tracked. It has the same 25mm cannon.
Did you ever ride around in a Stryker?

the technology isnt there yet but theoretically, it would be traversing difficult terrain like steep hills and mountains. Maybe even allow it to climb. Even in Scifi these days, they are combining wheels with legs for mechs these days.

is there, but it be awhile before we see something big id bi-pedal weaponary

is there, but it be awhile before we see something big id bi-pedal weaponary

Thats what is not there means or at least what i meant by it. Thats it not reliable enough to mass produce where countries can have forces of mechs. The most you can see right now is an expensive prototype (if even that) that isnt feasible.

It is an APC. Crew of 2 (driver and gunner) + 11 passengers. Yeah, it is a tight fit. The M113 is old, dating back to the 1960s. I was actually made to get a license for it when I went through IOBC at Ft. Benning. They are fun to drive in the mud. The Bradley (BFV) was a much better option.

Inside the M113:
592px-M113_Interior.jpg

At least is it Air conditioned?

If you need to climb, dont you need arms? Those mechs only have guns for arms, and no opposable thumbs. And there really traverse terrain difficult even for tracked vehicles, the legs will have to be really long. Perhaps it better to go around such obstacles instead of having to build really long legs. Heck, maybe them long legs can just be made into a bridge for tracked vehicles.

If you need to climb, dont you need arms? Those mechs only have guns for arms, and no opposable thumbs. And there really traverse terrain difficult even for tracked vehicles, the legs will have to be really long. Perhaps it better to go around such obstacles instead of having to build really long legs. Heck, maybe them long legs can just be made into a bridge for tracked vehicles.

If the technology gets there to make good legs, making good arms should be even easier.

If the technology gets there to make good legs, making good arms should be even easier.

But it must be loud as heck, and not very comfortable for rider. If it runs, it will be stomping on the ground hard. The rider will be bucking up and down like he was on a mechanical bull.

Where's the modern re-do of the goddamn A-10?!

But it must be loud as heck, and not very comfortable for rider. If it runs, it will be stomping on the ground hard. The rider will be bucking up and down like he was on a mechanical bull.

not necessarily, there are stabilization technologies that even modern tanks use. They could use a better version of that technology on the cockpit or where-ever the pilot or crew is. They don't need to stabilize completely but just make it enough so the crew can put up with it. Over long distances it can use wheels. I don't think pure walker mechs would be as good as ones that can both walk and have tires.

honestly, by the time we have all this, I think they would be fully automated and wouldn't require a person inside it. You could sync it with a smart helmet of a grunt or operator on the ground or control it over long distances or have really good AI.

This opens you up to jammers but that is a whole other can of worms. Latency of how long it takes for a automated machine to receive and carry out commands would be a battlefield on its own of jammers and counter jammers. If the average time it takes to do this is .5 seconds or less for every command and i can extend that to say 2 or 3 seconds by utilizing jammers, that is a huge advantage in a firefight.

not necessarily, there are stabilization technologies that even modern tanks use. They could use a better version of that technology on the cockpit or where-ever the pilot or crew is. They don't need to stabilize completely but just make it enough so the crew can put up with it. Over long distances it can use wheels. I don't think pure walker mechs would be as good as ones that can both walk and have tires.

honestly, by the time we have all this, I think they would be fully automated and wouldn't require a person inside it. You could sync it with a smart helmet of a grunt or operator on the ground or control it over long distances or have really good AI.

This opens you up to jammers but that is a whole other can of worms. Latency of how long it takes for a automated machine to receive and carry out commands would be a battlefield on its own of jammers and counter jammers. If the average time it takes to do this is .5 seconds or less for every command and i can extend that to say 2 or 3 seconds by utilizing jammers, that is a huge advantage in a firefight.

or they can make a skateboard for the mech.

<DCWhoa> <DCWhoa> <DCWhoa>

At least is it air conditioned?

Are you joking?
No, the M113, Bradley, and Stryker are not air conditioned. You sweat in the heat and freeze in the winter. That would make the vehicle more expensive to make and take up more equipment room. Now, the M1-A2 Abrams tank is air conditioned, but not for the crew, it is to keep the electronic equipment cool. Mechanized Infantry in the U.S. Army get to play with most of these toys. Light Infantry and Airborne units get to do most of their stuff on Humvees -- High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV). This was my primary mode of transportation:

Are you joking?
No, the M113, Bradley, and Stryker are not air conditioned. You sweat in the heat and freeze in the winter. That would make the vehicle more expensive to make and take up more equipment room. Now, the M1-A2 Abrams tank is air conditioned, but not for the crew, it is to keep the electronic equipment cool. Mechanized Infantry in the U.S. Army get to play with most of these toys. Light Infantry and Airborne units get to do most of their stuff on Humvees -- High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV). This was my primary mode of transportation:

You know what I could never understand? You did the rollover drills for the hummers. And you have to hold on all awkward as fuck. Why the hell do they not have oh shit handles?? I could never understand it

No, I did not. I heard they are comfortable. Maybe not being a tracked vehicle makes a difference.
640px-Stryker_by_Augustas_Didzgalvis.jpg

ooOOOOoo... I see a lot of familiar shit in there... lol

I used run a lot of tests with various Army vehicles when I worked on the weapon side of the Army... integrating systems onto them. I've ridden in all of them. They're all uncomfortable as hell IMO. Think my favorite was the Bearcat but we were integrating shit for DOE so that's exactly an army vehicle.

Last edited:
Are you joking?

So you actually had to walk everywhere? That sux. How far did you have to walk in one trip? And did you have carry everything?

So you actually had to walk everywhere? That sux. How far did you have to walk in one trip? And did you have carry everything?

Going to get off topic on @GhostZ06 thread, so I'll make it short...

Well, I'll tell you my experience in the Infantry in the U.S. Army. Infantry Marines are not too different. Like I mentioned before, the Humvees are the primary source of transportation. Helicopters would probably be second. I don't recall any Airborne operations in Iraq or Afghanistan. Maybe very few for Special Forces.

It all really depends on the mission and the terrain. Yes, once you are on foot, as an Infantry guy (now girls), you carry all your gear on you and with you: weapon, ammunition, night vision equipment, flack vest, helmet, radio, food, water, rucksack, and maybe a sleeping bag and mat. 40 to 70 lbs rucksacks. Mortars guys have to hump a lot more weight with their equipment and mortar rounds. Medics also carried their medical stuff on top of the standard load. Life was much easier when I switched to Civil Affairs.

Back