Article: Can Lifting Replace Cardio?

selfcritical

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
https://www.strongerbyscience.com/lifting-replace-cardio/

TL:DR Sprint Cycling Master Race

Well-trained competitive strength athletes

Had one group lift weights faster, the other group did frankly kind of hellish sprints. All groups continued their normal strength training concurrently with this.

Similar strength gains in both groups, superior vo2 max gains in the cycling group

Shit I might try that cycling program.

A little unsure of some of the wording used however.

Good article, I think the author touched on some legitimate concerns with the study.

VO2max predictions are way too high, no way they have that high a VO2max.
SM group had a higher starting point, VO2max increase is much more responsive at lower thresholds.
Other variables not controlled.

VO2max and responsiveness is so individual that it is hard to compare between different people in general. Nevermind the BW factor.

I agree with the tentative conclusion, but the study wasn't the best.

What's your take?

This may not be directly related to the article, but probably a good thread to discuss this in. Until recently, I had not done any cardio for years besides warming up before lifting with maybe 10 minutes of jump rope. I expected it to be extremely hard to get back into doing cardio, but it's amazing how quickly you can get it back. I have the exact opposite with lifting and strength gains.

This may not be directly related to the article, but probably a good thread to discuss this in. Until recently, I had not done any cardio for years besides warming up before lifting with maybe 10 minutes of jump rope. I expected it to be extremely hard to get back into doing cardio, but it's amazing how quickly you can get it back. I have the exact opposite with lifting and strength gains.
Did you have good conditioning/cardio and played sports in your youth?

Do you bike or walk as a means of transportation?

What is your BW?

Is it all types of cardio of a specific type that is easy (you could have affinity for one over the other)

Most likely it's genetics though. Most of the time it takes a while to get your conditioning back.

Did you have good conditioning/cardio and played sports in your youth?

Do you bike or walk as a means of transportation?

What is your BW?

Is it all types of cardio of a specific type that is easy (you could have affinity for one over the other)

Most likely it's genetics though. Most of the time it takes a while to get your conditioning back.

At one point in time (mid 20's), I got my conditioning pretty solid. Sub 20 minute 5k, sub 6 minute 100 burpees, multiple heavy bag rounds, etc. I'm mid 30's now though. I'm nowhere near back to that, but I'm around some recreational runners that are shocked that I was able to run 6 miles within a month without running for several years. I've noticed it on the heavy bag too. The first couple times was rough, but now I'm at a point where I can go near 20 minutes straight with only a couple short breaks for water.

Back