As a Persian, I watched 300 and...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
It was such a confusing movie. It is banned in Iran but I don't understand! It was so over the top that its hardly worth getting upset over. I mean, the Persian immortals seemed like some anime horror army.

Also, the only human looking Persian was the black dude that got kicked in the hole. Funny thing is, the Persian immortals look more badass in the movie than in real life who had beards/no mask and colorful uniforms. In real life, most of them looked like Gerard Butlers character except smaller.

I know I am late to the party, but a third movie is on the way which evolves the Chinese empire, so I thought I would watch to see how it made me feel. I don't really understand why the Persian immortals were so fictionalized in Japanese armors and scream style masks while being deformed demons and having that crazy monster but it was fun to watch.

So you're telling me 300 wasn't accurate?

Xerxes didn't walk around in a gold speedo with nipple rings?

Just like sex bros ... greek > persian style.

So you're telling me 300 wasn't accurate?

Xerxes didn't walk around in a gold speedo with nipple rings?

Persians love gold. So that part might be legit.

giphy.gif

It was such a confusing movie. It is banned in Iran but I don't understand! It was so over the top that its hardly worth getting upset over. I mean, the Persian immortals seemed like some anime horror army.

Also, the only human looking Persian was the black dude that got kicked in the hole. Funny thing is, the Persian immortals look more badass in the movie than in real life who had beards/no mask and colorful uniforms. In real life, most of them looked like Gerard Butlers character except smaller.

I know I am late to the party, but a third movie is on the way which evolves the Chinese empire, so I thought I would watch to see how it made me feel. I don't really understand why the Persian immortals were so fictionalized in Japanese armors and scream style masks while being deformed demons and having that crazy monster but it was fun to watch.

Short answer: Frank Miller.
He's an all-time great but he certainly never lets facts get in the way of a good story. His idea of research is talking to a guy who tells him, "I heard..." and lets his imagination do the rest.

Did you think everything you see in "fact based" movies was true until this moment?

You gotta remember that’s it’s a story told to the Spartans, by a Spartan, memorializing Spartans. Obviously he’ll embellish the ferocity and decadence of the enemy to make his own people look even more bad ass and righteous.

The Spartans didn't fight barechested either. They had armor. They would've been a lot smaller with less muscle. And the movie left out the gay relationships between boys and men.

And the movie left out the gay relationships between boys and men.

Which got Gerard Butler the lead role after Kevin Spacey dropped out. Imagine 300 with Spacey as Leonidas?

OAgzggh.png

In the West Leonidas, and the Spartans are the heroes, and the Persians are the villains. But in real life the the Persian Empire at the time was the shining beacon of righteousness, no the Greeks.

Whats this chinese empire one?

ya there is clearly no reason it should've been banned

More people need to be like the Irish IMO when it comes to 'getting offended'

Notre Dame has what appears to be a f'n drunken leprechaun as their 'fighting Irish' mascot, nobody bats an eye

meanwhile my alma mater SDSU had it's mascot removed b/c it was 'culturally insensitive to the Aztecs'......wait, what Aztecs?

ya there is clearly no reason it should've been banned

More people need to be like the Irish IMO when it comes to 'getting offended'

Notre Dame has what appears to be a f'n drunken leprechaun as their 'fighting Irish' mascot, nobody bats an eye

meanwhile my alma mater SDSU had it's mascot removed b/c it was 'culturally insensitive to the Aztecs'......wait, what Aztecs?
Hey man, I went to SDSU also!

300 gets a hell of a lot funnier when you read that Zack Snyder apperently thinks that it's about 90% accurate to what happened.

"the events are 90 percent accurate. It's just in the visualization that it's crazy… I've shown this movie to world-class historians who have said it's amazing. They can't believe it's as accurate as it is."

they looked like monsters because they were a cancer to the west

The Spartans didn't fight barechested either. They had armor. They would've been a lot smaller with less muscle.

To be fair though this is one aspect a lot of the criticism of the film seemed a bit wide on, I mean yeah its obviously not at all realistic but rather than some modern homoeroticism as claimed its obviously making reference to greek art/statues that are typically wearing few or no clothing. Basically a film with an idealised look to it that makes reference to the way the ancient greeks actually idealised themselves.

I would generally tend to agree that its far too cartoonish a film to really get THAT upset about.

In the West Leonidas, and the Spartans are the heroes, and the Persians are the villains. But in real life the the Persian Empire at the time was the shining beacon of righteousness, no the Greeks.

Whats this chinese empire one?

They haven't made it yet but Chinese empire might be the subject of the next movie.

I really wish they had made a more historically accurate version of this movie.
I don't know why they went with Miller's graphic novel version, the real story is fantastic enough without a fucking 12 foot gay guy, giant elephants and the hunchback of Notre Dame

They haven't made it yet but Chinese empire might be the subject of the next movie.

Seems a bit of a shift considering that would need to be totally fictionalised wouldn't it? maybe some Chinese money involved in it?

Back