As Bad as 2000 WCW was...

1999 was so much wose. soooooo much worse. Some of the most nonsensical stuff I have ever seen
WCW was amazing. If Ted didn't get worked into a shoot by AOL it would still be around. Vince didn't kill wcw. WCW decided they didn't want to exist.

WCW was amazing. If Ted didn't get worked into a shoot by AOL it would still be around. Vince didn't kill wcw. WCW decided they didn't want to exist.

There was some weird shit going on there at the end. Didn't someone try to but it for $6 mil, get laughed out of the room and then Vince turns around and buys it for 1? Something wasn't right there.

Yeah, there was some certainly some shady stuff at the end.

WWF's end of fiscal 2001 report (released 7/28) notes that all of the intellectual properties and assets of WCW including the trade name, tape library and other intangible assets were sold by AOL- Time Warner for a staggeringly low $2.5 million.
This is despite an offer from Bischoff/Fusient Media Group for $48.3 million, just days prior to the sale to WWF.
The Fusient offer included a $5 million deposit - so, even if the deal had collapsed, TBS would have picked up double what they've now got from Vince. Moreover, Fusient had agreed to take over every contract - relieving AOL-Time Warner of more than $15 million in salary payouts.
Instead, as thing now stand, Time Warner will be paying Goldberg more in one year than all the money they got from the sale of WCW.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...irtually_unknown_story_about_how_the_wwf_may/

WCW just couldn't pull off supernatural gimmicks. It just doesn't look right in a rednecky promotion, like WCW. Shockmaster, Yettay, Warrior, etc all looked like they trolling the audience. I'm not sure they could've gotten the Taker gimmick over. The only one that worked was Sting, but he was more of an outcast/loner than a supernatural being.
you cant just selectively point out instances that help support your point when clearly Robocop was a home run

There was some weird shit going on there at the end. Didn't someone try to but it for $6 mil, get laughed out of the room and then Vince turns around and buys it for 1? Something wasn't right there.
Yeah, there was some certainly some shady stuff at the end.

WWF's end of fiscal 2001 report (released 7/28) notes that all of the intellectual properties and assets of WCW including the trade name, tape library and other intangible assets were sold by AOL- Time Warner for a staggeringly low $2.5 million.
This is despite an offer from Bischoff/Fusient Media Group for $48.3 million, just days prior to the sale to WWF.
The Fusient offer included a $5 million deposit - so, even if the deal had collapsed, TBS would have picked up double what they've now got from Vince. Moreover, Fusient had agreed to take over every contract - relieving AOL-Time Warner of more than $15 million in salary payouts.
Instead, as thing now stand, Time Warner will be paying Goldberg more in one year than all the money they got from the sale of WCW.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...irtually_unknown_story_about_how_the_wwf_may/
I
Ur

Curious to know more. Tell me more.

I
Ur

Curious to know more. Tell me more.
Well rumor has it the guy who sold wcw was a longtime acquaintance of Vince and had worked for the wwf even before moving over to wcw

The best place to read about is the book Death of WCW

But yeah shady stuff indeed

Well rumor has it the guy who sold wcw was a longtime acquaintance of Vince and had worked for the wwf even before moving over to wcw

The best place to read about is the book Death of WCW

But yeah shady stuff indeed
Is the rumor that Vince slipped him some money ?
More. Tell me more

I had. K no idea he went back to wcw Aron f that time. This is fascinating. I wish I can get myself to watch wcw on the network
yeah that was all staged though... Turner higher ups thought the character would be mistaken for a child molester and told WCW to drop it... so they had him do a staged shoot where he could bash goldust and the WWE

That's around the same time they told them to change the West Hollywood Blondes because it was offensive to the gays.

Big Poppa Pump in 2000 was hilarious as fuck, the best thing for WCW at the time

Diamond dallas kanyon was funny as shit.

Judy bagwell in a forklift match LMAO

And who can forget?

They gave us the best band in the world!!

Woah I had no idea goldust was in wcw! What a trip. Didn't know he ever left the wwe after 96. What a trip.

Big Poppa Pump in 2000 was hilarious as fuck, the best thing for WCW at the time

Absolutely. He totally shouldve made the move to WWE during the Invasion, when he came back in 2003 he just wasnt the same

Last edited:
It was a strange choice to begin with, given that he was well known in the south as Dustin Rhodes, and nationally as Golddust, to spend all that time hyping an entirely new character who was clearly the same guy. Then to have him break almost immediately, it was too self aware. Even as a kid I thought it was all a big waste of time.

That said, if there's a nitro recap column that covers 99, I'd like to read through it just for the memories.

I didn't get the whole Seven angle either. Why waste all that time and money, just to have him shit on the character and be regular Dustin Rhodes anyway? They loved burning money in the late 90's. It's no wonder we got the result we did.

I didn't get the whole Seven angle either. Why waste all that time and money, just to have him shit on the character and be regular Dustin Rhodes anyway? They loved burning money in the late 90's. It's no wonder we got the result we did.

Im not sure it would have been better if they committed to that character though. It was very theatrical and didn't fit with the rest of the program. If the Mortal Kombat theme had taken off, Seven might have slotted in with those guys. I guess they made a movie knock off character work with Sting, but that played off his longstanding role in the company, rather than trying to hide it.

Im not sure it would have been better if they committed to that character though. It was very theatrical and didn't fit with the rest of the program. If the Mortal Kombat theme had taken off, Seven might have slotted in with those guys. I guess they made a movie knock off character work with Sting, but that played off his longstanding role in the company, rather than trying to hide it.

Oh I totally agree. The character never had a chance either way, but the guy looked like an idiot and floated to the ring on strings. It was a terrible idea to begin with. With that being said, just scrap the thing and bring in Dustin Rhodes as himself, and pretend he never had any association with Seven.

Diamond dallas kanyon was funny as shit.

Judy bagwell in a forklift match LMAO

And who can forget?

They gave us the best band in the world!!

Kanyon running around giving people the diamond cutter at random was gold! I remember them coming back from a commercial to an exterior shot of the arena and Kanyon runs in from off camera to cutter some guy walking up to the will call window. My roommates and I laughed halfway through the next segment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back