As long as GSP vacates his belt, why do people care so much if he doesn't defend?

But it has been done before, it was done anderson silva picking fights with forrest griffin, bj penn stepping up to GSP, the whole conor-diaz feud. i didn't expect bisping to vacate the belt, i just wanted the match to be for no title. Why should GSP win a belt and immediately vacate it, how is this any different to the Germaine De Randamie and Mcgregor fiasco (i know GSP is an all time great)? Also i don't expect GSP to fight straight away but i would be disappointed as a fan if he didn't unify the belts. That's just my take on the situation, me and you clearly see different sides and that's alright.

For sure dude. I get what you are saying and somewhat agree. Of course the Anderson and Mcgregor thing at different weightclasses sort of doesn't fit being that the belts held were not the classes where the fight was taking place. In order for that to be an example, Bisping would have had to face GSP at 170 while holding the belt in a different class. GSP's belt was on the line against Penn.

The De Randamie situation is very similar circumstances with very different ways of handling it. De Randamie was making accusations about another fighter whether true or not and fought very dirty to get the belt to begin with. It is difficult to celebrate someones good achievement when they are sort of shitty about how they got there.

I do see your point. I as a fan would also like to see GSP unify and then drop right after. I think he could beat Whittaker, I also think he looks shitty at 185 and is very small for the class. Anyway, I can sort of agree with what you say.

I'm fine with it. He got the belt away from Bisping and now the MW division can resume to the way it should be.

if he unified belts than pcd it would be ok. but he screwed whittaker and only took the eziest fight.

GSP can do what he wants to do. The guy is a legendary fighter and one of the best PPV draws. The UFC needs him more than he needs them. GSP obviously didn't care that his contract said he had to fight Whittaker next.

Let Whittaker fight any contender for the title in Australia and let GSP strap the belt on the winner. The UFC is terrible at promoting new champs. They should use the big name fighters to pass along these belts instead of Dana White.

Fight fans just like to bitch and moan whenever they can.

You’re disappointed that he’s not going to defend because it says in his contract he has to. I doubt there’s anything in there that says if you have health issues it doesn’t matter because you need to die for the company. Are you simple? He’s not going to fight and defend because it’s not healthy for him, not because he's pulling a McGregor and being a bitch. GSP has more class and integrity than any fighter and including Dana White. Don’t be disappointed that he can’t defend at MW, be happy as a fan that he’s back for another round and that’s he’s just improving his already legendary legacy.
on top of that he fought after being sick every day, vomitting, not being able to gain weight properly and not knowing why soon enough. most fighters would have called off the fight for less. we are lucky we ever got to see him in the octagon one last time.

Yes it was a bit of a surprise when GSP said he probably won't defend his title, especially after his statements regarding how he feels obligated to defend it.

But, as long as GSP vacates, why does everyone care so much?

It's not like it's going to be a Conor situation where he's going to keep the belt and put the entire division on hold, GSP has too much respect for the sport and other fighters to do that.

LOL @ thinking GSP doesn't hold onto belt.

Nah.

If he had fought Anderson back in the days, win or lose, hardcore fans would have given him tons of respect.

and then call him georges "no rush" st. pierre, decision-king, lay & pray, etc etc. is normal on sherdog.

Wasn't he legally obligated to defend the belt? if he is going to vacate it I hope he can do it ASAP so the real challengers can fight for it, I have no problem with this since this was the most likely scenario, good he won the belt and I'm very happy for him but time to move on.

Unlike that scumbag leprechaun who have the belt for more than a year and not any plan to defend it

I honestly Can’t see why people are pissed at Georges.
Except if it is for simple hate of him or envy for the fact that a REAL GOAT is back to the UFC.

He did the SMART thing,by picking up a weak champion like Blingbing,to make his comeback and now he is doing the RIGHT thing by giving up a belt he thinks he will not be able to defend.

He is not keeping the belt.
He is not holding the division.
He is not asking for a “super/money fight”while denying the top contenders a chance at the title.
He is not taking a pregnancy license.

So what’s the problem with him changing his minds with regards to defending a belt he knows he will have problems keeping it?

Or do you think that Blingbing would actually defend his tittle against ANY the top 5 or unifying with Whittaker this year?

Common now.

Back