Economy As solar capacity grows, some of America's most productive farmland is at risk

I am no expert but I think a large part of the issue is the way erosion can affect surrounding properties and waterways.

Indeed, but that's an issue with most forms of flat crop cultivation, i don't know if there has been changes in how things are done in America, but growing corn involves the land being laid bare to the elements for most of the time.

If erosion is an issue soil can be stabilized with a anti-erosion mesh which can be left in place since there is no need to plow the land every season.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. "You can just go to the grocery store and buy all the food you want ". Just ask the purple hairs.

Weird, because insane amounts of corn is turned into fuel which is burned in big ass trucks, and commercial farming requires a lot of energy to be made.

So no energy = no growing food eitherway.

And this isn't even taking into account unsustainability of pumping geological groundwater.

Weird, because insane amounts of corn is turned into fuel which is burned in big ass trucks, and commercial farming requires a lot of energy to be made.

So no energy = no growing food eitherway.

And this isn't even taking into account unsustainability of pumping geological groundwater.

Do you think they actually have any idea of any of that.

Do you think they actually have any idea of any of that.

Nope, but neither do you it seems, because anyone who thinks that solar farms are a threat to food production is just grasping at straws.

Water, Energy and non-renewable fertilizers are going to be the things that end industrial agriculture, not some dudes renting land to put solar panels.

Nope, but neither do you it seems, because anyone who thinks that solar farms are a threat to food production is just grasping at straws.

Water, Energy and non-renewable fertilizers are going to be the things that end industrial agriculture, not some dudes renting land to put solar panels.

It depends on the amount of land required. I would like to see more studies on the amount of land vs the amount of power produced.

I would believe solar power need to be much more efficient to have any chance of being a viable replacement for say nuclear power.

It depends on the amount of land required. I would like to see more studies on the amount of land vs the amount of power produced.
No, it doesn't, water availability is what determines production for the most part, the second part is prices of fuel and fertilizers (which are mainly produced with natural gas for Nitrogen and mined for the rest).

We will run out of fossil fuels and water before we run out of land.

I would believe solar power need to be much more efficient to have any chance of being a viable replacement for say nuclear power.
Ok, but that has nothing to do with the discussion of "Solar power will makes us starve" non-sense.

No, it doesn't, water availability is what determines production for the most part, the second part is prices of fuel and fertilizers (which are mainly produced with natural gas for Nitrogen and mined for the rest).

We will run out of fossil fuels and water before we run out of land.

Ok, but that has nothing to do with the discussion of "Solar power will makes us starve" non-sense.

I didn't say it would. However that doesn't mean it could not reduce the available land for farming. We would have to go crazy believing solar could power everything and build a hell of a lot solar "farms" for it to make any difference.

I make a joke about the "purple" hairs that's all.

Really dumb. Build modern nuclear plants until we figure out fusion. Put solar on buildings and structures.

Indeed, but that's an issue with most forms of flat crop cultivation, i don't know if there has been changes in how things are done in America, but growing corn involves the land being laid bare to the elements for most of the time.

If erosion is an issue soil can be stabilized with a anti-erosion mesh which can be left in place since there is no need to plow the land every season.

When you say plowing, are you talking about an actual plow or just any land work?

Thera always going to be top soil disturbance after corn, you have to break up the stalks.

I call BS on the topsoil loss, i mean most commercial farms are definitively not ecofriendly and require a massive amount of energy input to make them work.

If things arent growing its because solar panels are blocking the light, same reason why not many things grow in a thick forest.

They definitively can be reconverted into agricultural use.
- We used to have a diretor plan here. were building cond't pass a certain height. But or former mayor sponsored by construction companies removed that. I do rope they can make this requiriment come back. Because as you said, several gardens and parks in the center of the city, will lose light!

When you say plowing, are you talking about an actual plow or just any land work?
I don't know if its the same, but i mean traditional plowing as in running down a tractor with some disc plows to turn over the soil before seeding, that crap really promotes erosion like there is no tomorrow as it loosens the earth and removes any protection.

Thera always going to be top soil disturbance after corn, you have to break up the stalks.
Yeah, but the way we traditionally plant crops like corn and wheat really fucks up the soil.

Reactions: Cid
Back