As US Looks To Returning To The Moon China Is Much More Interested In All Things Quantum

China is about to make major bets on becoming the world leader in quantum computing and quantum telecommunications. They started by building the largest quantum computing research lab in the world devoted to developing quantum computers.

This on top to the massive effort in AI development you get the picture China is pushing to become the dominant world power. This is not developing a new nuclear weapon this could pose far greater problems for the US and the world then any single nuclear weapon. Quantum computing and AI could upend world powers in ways that no one could see coming and a greater threat then North Korea and any other nuclear power could pose.

I cannot overstate the seriousness of this danger to the world stage and the direct an dangerous threat this poses in world leadership. It could redraw the map of the world in terms of creating a new paragon shift and turns the world of science behind it by decades.

"China is building a $10 billion research center for quantum applications. This news comes on the heels of the world’s first video call made via quantum-encrypted communications and the completion of a quantum-encrypted fiber optic trunk cable. The National Laboratory for Quantum Information Sciences is slated to open in 2020 and has two major research goals: quantum metrology and building a quantum computer."

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/...reakthroughs-in-ai-and-quantum-computing.html

So, you really believe we aren't secretly looking into this too?

Really?

{<diva}

First we need to establish what the consequences of opening pandora's box may be.

I strongly suspect the second a machine can efficiently start working on it's own design and someone lets them do it; all bets are off.
weASHQT.jpg

Trumps not scared of know Quantum shit..

Quantum computing would break most of the encryption protocols.
I wouldn't worry too much about that.
We will most likely have functional post-quantum cryptography, including asymmetrical cryptography, before quantum computers are used for cryptanalysis on a large scale, anything else would be a shock.

Last edited:
Quantum computing would break most of the encryption protocols. Although no one really knows how far the NSA has already progressed when it comes to this stuff.

Also, quantum computing algorithms can greatly speed up AI algorithms by the factor of millions or even billions.
Throwing computing cycles at AI does not magically make Skynet like people seem to believe

Throwing computing cycles at AI does not magically make Skynet like people seem to believe
A large part of AI is bound by computational power.

Simple things like the neural network that Google made to determine if a picture contained a cat required something like thousands of servers.

Where is the part about, "As the U.S. Looks To Returning To The Moon..."? @PEB

Btw, Trump's DoE recently spent $258 million on research & development to "make sure" the US are the first to create a computing system capable of 1 exaFLOPS/second, which -obviously- would be the fastest supercomputer on the planet. They plan/hope to finish the project by 2020 (they won't).

I cannot overstate the seriousness of this danger to the world stage and the direct an dangerous threat this poses in world leadership.

Christ, you are going to get everyone scared talking like that. There are a number of technical challenges in building a large-scale quantum computer, and thus far quantum computers have yet to solve a problem faster than a classical computer. IBM, has listed the following requirements for a practical quantum computer:

. Scalable physically to increase the number of qubits.
. Qubits that can be initialized to arbitrary values.
. Quantum gates that are faster than decoherence time.
. Universal gate set.
. Qubits that can be read easily.

A quantum computer works in a totally different way from a classical computer. Quantum bits or 'qubits' can exist in a superposition state of both zero and one simultaneously. The amount of information stored in N qubits is two to the power of N classical bits.

Last edited:
A large part of AI is bound by computational power.

Simple things like the neural network that Google made to determine if a picture contained a cat required something like thousands of servers.
That is not at all a simple task to program for a computer. There is no way their code is 100% as efficient as possible for that.

In college I decided I wanted to make a Diablo II shop bot. Unlike the other bots available, I wanted to make it completely in autoit. Other bots hack into the memory address and are able to make decisions based on information that is not available to a normal player. They will decide their pathing, attack patterns, what to pick up from the ground, etc based on information that I as a player would not be privy to.

Basically I had it login, create a game, check if it was in act 5 (if not, get to act 5), and get to the pindle portal. All that was lots of code (mostly the pathing logic to get to Act 5 from potentially any of the other 4 acts), but nothing compared to the OCR. My bot had probably 20,000 lines of code just for the OCR (optical character recognition). It would take a screenshot when the bot's cursor was over an item and then analyze it for text of magical properties that I was looking to shop for. I had to make a library of what ingame text looks like to compare in the screenshot. It had to compare the screenshot just obtained to the library of text that I had in the library. It would go pixel by pixel in the screenshot to look for pixel groups of what could be text. It would then look at the pixel group and compare to the library to see if it matched a letter, and from there would try and see if the letters formed a word of the magical properties we were looking for.

It 'worked' but was bloated A FUCK. AND I was able to cheat. I could hard code the shit out of a ton of variables. I knew exactly what I wanted to shop for. I knew exactly what the text it would read was going to look like.

My entire point is that even if we magically got a computer a BILLION times faster than what we have now, we will have to program the FUCK out of AI to make it like this mythical superbeast that can become self sentient and all that shit.

Think about it. When you look at a picture of a cat you as a human know it's a cat because you know what cats look like. But you don't just go by I have seen this exact cat before, so I know it's a cat. You will see a group of pixels and see that they are formed into a group of similar color. You will see that these pixels combined appear to form a mass of similar color. You see this mass is not just an object, but it is an animal. You are then able to see that the pixels look to form 4 legs and fur. You at this point can make a judgement of what kind of animal it is based on your knowledge of animals. Is it a house cat? A lion? a dog? How do you know that it is not one of these? Shit gets complicated in a hurry when breaking it down to the point of making a computer able to do it.

I would bet USA is in full force development on this, especially given the power of crypto breaking. Yea they say well if quantum computing can break crypto then it can be used to encrypt thus being where we are at now break crypto vs encrypt but the problem is that will take years and years while a select few have the crypto breaking power of quantum we will be stuck using AES, TLS with it being broke np by NSA.

Do keep in mind, what China says they want to do typically US has been doing for decades. Chinese have to crow from the highest mountain about everything since they have achieved nothing, while the US keeps their stuff top secret for decades.

For example, US aircraft are still 3 decades ahead of China.

All those hundreds of billions into black projects, what did you think it all went to hookers blow and fast cars ?

Back