Ascendant's Fortress of Solitude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battling back from injury sucks, but it looks like it's coming along well.

I just jacked up my left arm blocking a kick. It shows all the signs of a fracture in the elbow joint, but there is so much swelling and that area is tough to x-ray, so for now they haven't seen anything. So now, I'm down to one armed training.

Any suggestions for training legs? The list I've put together so far includes:
Leg Press
Pistols
Glute Ham Raises
Hill Sprints
Box Jumps (Although maybe not the best idea since the impacts seem to make my arm swell)
High rep BW squats

Dammit, I'm sorry to hear about that. Definitely one of the reasons I stick to lifting only! :)

I think you should still be able to squat, although maybe submaximally. I would think hill sprints might be tough on the arm as well. Another great option would be weighted step-ups, either with an X-Vest on or with the barbell positioned like in the Misha video. And don't be afraid to use leg curls and extensions if you find yourself in a pinch.

We'll all know it's only temporary... ;) Good luck Stewy, heal up fast.

Nice dling with an injury.. that most people couldn't do healthy. I envy your strength lol.

Also.. I wondered how he kept the bar on his back but I guess it wasn't much a big deal for him to high bar squat the weight with one arm. (it is high bar right?)

Thanks man. :) Yeah that's a super high bar, and he's keeping it up there by consciously shrugging more than he does normally while squatting, making a bigger shelf.

Ascendant,

How would you recommend getting back into the swing of lifting heavy coming off of mild bursitis in a right shoulder and an accompanying light strain in my left serratus posterior superior?

My chiropractor/doctor of sports medicine recommended that I incorporate more face pulls, hypers, and reverse hypers as he said I needed to balance out my pushing and pulling and to incorporate more warm up sets in general to loosen my shoulders.

After taking off almost two complete weeks (and losing 5 lbs), I've been doing more face pulls the last two workouts but I've only been back a few days and my bench day did not go as planned. It's looking like I'm going to need to back up a couple of cycles (in terms of intensity) to regain my strength. I can provide more specifics but I don't know if they are necessary or if my answer is just as simple as I need to give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Any advice?

Lol How in the hell did you strain your SPS?? Did you receive any steroid shots for the shoulder or was it just a rest/NSAIDs plan?

You know enough about lifting to figure out how to balance out your post/ant strengths, so my only concern is which muscles are chronically imbalanced and do you have a plan to strengthen/lengthen appropriately?

I'm glad you're feeling good enough to lift again!

Thanks for the support.

Strain is my term, not his. It's like a tingling sensation. It doesn't hurt. It's like a very mild electrical pulse (although it's not that, I'm saying that how it feels). I think it came from squatting and having to GM the weight out of the hole on a rep. (Also, I *think* he said it was my SPS. He may have said another muscle because he said it fast and I tried to look it up later. It's on the left side of my back and it feels like it's on the lower trap but that's not what he said. When I look at the back muscle chart [a dangerous layman's guess I know], I think it's the trap or maybe the intraspinatus fascia).

No shots or NSAIDS. He's more holistic than anything, although I'm sure if the pain were severe enough, he would have given me some meds. He test my ROM in my shoulder and detected that I was doing too much pressing and I had to look out for anterior slippage and needed to work on my posture and keeping my shoulder blades "in my back pocket." He then set me up on a traction massage table and used electrical stimulation on the left side of my back and my right shoulder. Then he "popped" (?) my back by applying direct pressure (in a circular motion though, if that makes sense)to what I think were my upper thoracic vertebrae. And told me to come back in a week if I had any issues.

My plan was just to do my regular lifting of strength training for main working sets, sarcoplasmic hypertrophy rep scheme for assistance, and do a few sets of face pullups and hypers at the end of every workout for the next few weeks and also to incorporate more pulling assistance on my squat day such as T-bar and maybe pendlay rows.

Last edited:
Tuesday - 4/8/10

Bodyweight 210

25 degree incline log press - 3 minute rest sets

Warmup
185*10
235*5
275*3

355*3
355*4
355*5
355*5
355*5 - Found my groove, could've done 1-2 more, or another set probably.

Pullups superset w/ 2" DOH axle shrugs - 3 minute rest sets

13 -> 115*10
13 -> 205*10
13 -> 295*10
13 -> 350*12+3+1 - BIG PR - grip is coming along!
13 -> 295*102 - mixed grip (25/switch grip/25 more/25/27)

Total pullups = 78

Speed/technique yoke walk - these were also superset with the pullups and shrugs, circuit style

200*50 ft
200*50 ft
290*50 ft
380*50 ft
470*50 ft
560*50 ft
560*50 ft
560*50 ft

Just an awesome damn day. The stress is GONE, school has started back up, I'm giving my energy back to myself and my goals and improving. SO pumped about today! :)

Wicked stuff man, glad to hear everything's going well. Beastly deads and pressing.

Sunday - 4/11/10

Bodyweight - 210

Dynamic warm-up, including more dynamic hamstring flexibility work

Deadlift - all reps reset

135*8
225*5
315*5
405*3

485*5
485*5
485*5
485*5
485*5

495*5*5 Next week, MIGHT go to 3's, we'll see.

Hammer strength iso mid row

45/side*8
90*8
135*8
180*8
180*8

Free motion high cable rear delt flys

35*10
45*10
50*10
60*10

Poor man's GHR

80 lbs*7
BW*6
BW*6
BW*6
60*22 - WRECKED - was going for 15 but two SUPER HOT girls were staring at me so I just kept going.

Cable abs machine

50*7
70*7
90*7
110*7
130*7
150*7 - PR, tough

Single arm DB snatches - gym only went up to 125 and I didn't feel like messing with a barbell. I was SO tired and huuuungry by this point, I should have just called it a day.

60*3/side
80*3/side
100*3/side
125*3/side - Easy as hell

Done

***Notes - Back felt tweaky yesterday and more last night, I was hoping it would be good to go for this morning but it was still ~80% going into today's workout. I slept pretty light and woke up many times, and didn't feel super CNS powered today. The first two sets of 5 were tough as heck, but as always got better the more I did. The first rep of the last set was faaaast! :)

I had some hamstring work done on Thursday by one of my profs and felt a lot more flexible the last few days, I think a few more sessions of that and I should be good to go. I noticed a tangible difference in my ability to keep an arched back when the weight left the floor today. W00t!

Last edited:
Great lifting as always Ascendant!

Good to see the steady progress on your DLs despite the lower back issues.

Hahaha I know you told me not to. No harm no foul. :)

Great lifting as always Ascendant!

Good to see the steady progress on your DLs despite the lower back issues.

Thanks a ton man! I feel good to have gotten some stress out of my life and am buckling down into a schedule with school, work, and workouts better now. :)

I'm so tired of seeing a '4' as the lead number in my 5*5's!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back