Ask Ant: Sherdog Writer Ant Walker Wants Your Questions

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Sherdog Main Page writer Ant Walker wants your questions for his weekly article series titled "Ask Ant," where he will gladly answer any combat sports questions you may have.

Ant holds over 15 years of martial arts experience, training in multiple styles including Boxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Kung Fu and Krav Maga, and also coached amateur MMA fighters. A former Sherdog Radio Network personality and current contributor to Sherdog.com, this self-described "gym rat" seeks to impart his knowledge and discuss all things MMA with his fellow community members.

Select questions from this thread will be answered in the article, which will be posted in this thread when published, and additional questions from here may be used in an upcoming series of live video chats hosted on the forum. More on this tomorrow.

Please be respectful. We appreciate it.

who do you think has the best gym in the US? (based on success in MMA)

With Rory vs Moose around the corner: Will Red King's nose survive one of the best jabs in mma or do you see this fight going a completely different way?

Why don't more Dutch fighters break through in MMA? I understand there's no big wrestling scene in the Netherlands but we've dominated kickboxing for years. Did we miss the boat?

What specific practices of various martial arts are wisely abandoned when brought to MMA competition? I’ m not thinking of practices that break the rules, but rather practices that could make a fighter vulnerable. For example, I expect that certain ducking the head practices that work well in boxing, are very dangerous when an opponent can respond by using a knee to strike with ( not allowed in boxing).

Hi Ant. Do you browse the forums and if so do you ever learn anything from the posters on sherdog (like me)?

Where do you see MMA and the major orgs in 10 years from now? Will the sport continue to grow and eventually break through into the mainstream worldwide?

Last edited by a moderator:
A buddy of mine on twitter with a handle of "Yojimbo" has this question:

"What will it take for another female fighter to get taken as seriously as Ronda Rousey? For example, someone like Joanna Jedrzejczyk has arguably had a better career for longer, but (I don't think) has even ever been given a main event."

Ant, Bubzeh here, hope you're well. Long time no speak.

Just wondered what you regard as the highest point of MMA in terms of excitement and popularity during your extinguished career.

Give my best to the family.

Kenny Here,

My mom's friend's nephew wants me to ask:

Have you known of any (at least semi-successful) Krav Maga fighters in MMA?
Moti Horenstein fought in the early UFCs, but he faced essentially the same fighter twice in Mark Coleman and Mark Kerr - which didn't give a showcase of his skills. Do you know of others, and how they fared?

Also, hypothetically, if you had to pick only one style to know - Krav Maga, boxing, muay thai, wrestling, or BJJ - for self defense which would it be?

Thanks.

If you could only train one fighting style for the rest of your life what would it be? And why would it be Muay Thai?

Well... Huge MMA News. Jon Jones is pretty much back. What do you think of the USADA situation, some fighters getting some major time were as Jon who "snitched" can headline UFC 230. Is the system broken?

Hey ant man, are you going to use gifs in your articles?
I would much appreciate it.

Also how do you think Ben askren would have done in the UFC

In the aftermath of this latest ruling regarding Jon Jones, what do you think the chances are of USADA eventually being dropped by the UFC?

Clean Bones vs DC at 205. Who ya got?

Hey Ant " Do you think Jon punishment is reasonable?"

Should Jon Jones get an immediate title shot?

Hey ant fixedfights here,

I have a question from a friend who wants to know what fighter is the goat and do you think the Manlet weight classes and WMMA should be included on main cards with the real fights?

Thanks,
Fixedfights

By now, most of the fighters have been specialized on one combat system like Muay Thai or Wrestling before transitioning to MMA.
But in fact todays MMA Gyms gain more and more popularity: Do you believe that following generations will be just training "MMA" and being as successful as todays champs with specialized backrounds?

Well... Huge MMA News. Jon Jones is pretty much back. What do you think of the USADA situation, some fighters getting some major time were as Jon who "snitched" can headline UFC 230. Is the system broken?
Pls, can anyone or Ant tell me what happens with Bones and him being a snitch?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back