Askren thinks he can beat Khabib "50-44"

Would be a great fight unfortunately doesn't appeal to the casual Conor fanbase.
No fight other than Conor will appeal to the casual Conor fan base. Khabib will probably sell 500K PPV's next time up unless he fights GSP. Dagestani's, Conor haters and Twitter followers do not buy PPV's.

What's Askren's deal? He beat Lima and Koreshkov and thinks he's one of the best fighters in the world, yet has never fought in the UFC. Just puzzling. You'd think the competitor in him would want to join the organization ASAP.

Lima and Koreshkov would be top WW in the UFC. The bigger point is that he beat relatively green versions of Lima and Koreshkov. I wouldn't have him beating either man in a rematch.

Clueless ... how have you been s member here so long and have zero knowledge?
Shocking to me that people can know what Sherdog is and not know the Askren story. The guy was a pawn and got ROYALLY fucked over by Dana, a casualty in the Bjorn Wars. The whole story was even on JRE recently for the noobs that have not been following MMA for that long, so I would hope even they knew it.

Last edited:
Can't stand this guy Askren...

What about call out Romero instead ?

Big words from a guy who's best win is a split decision over an aging Jay Hieron

Lima and Koreshkov would be top WW in the UFC. The bigger point is that he beat relatively green versions of Lima and Koreshkov. I wouldn't have him beating either man in a rematch.

Askren has exactly 1 top 15 win.

Now, I would like to see him against some top ten fighters, but until then I just can't call him this unstopable beast some think he is.

For who is saying about Jiu-Jitsu vs Askren, let's remember this video. Owned at all forms.

Lol really ...

Garcia is literally the best jujitsu guy on the planet. There is no one even close to him for pure bjj.

Also that was 8 years ago. Askren was only in his second year in mma.

I'm sure his bjj is a little bit better 8 years later

Btw how did Garcia do in a sport with strikes? 0-1 loss via tko.

If they had an actual mma fight started standing askren could easily keep the fight standing

Lots of top bjj guys like magalhaes are great in pure bjj but don't transition well into mma

Askren has exactly 1 top 15 win.

Now, I would like to see him against some top ten fighters, but until then I just can't call him this unstopable beast some think he is.

He isn't. If you don't have very good takedown defense, he'll beat you. If you have very good takedown defense (as several top WWs do), then you've got a pretty good chance of winning.

Askren is pretty funny, you've got to give him that.

There is an element of combat sambo that renders American wrestling stylists woefully unprepared to defend against.

Guy comes into every fight with the same formula and hasn’t been stopped; I don’t see Askren being the man to buck that trend.

Is Romero the champ? Also Askren is talking about fighting GSP at 170 or Khabib at 165. Isn't Romero moving up to 205?

Hmmm

He fought those guys fairly young in their careers, they aren't the fighters they are now.

I agree, but Lima, at the very least, was still a more meaningful win than Hieron at that time. I don't think Askren beats Koreshkov in the rematch (he's really shored up his grappling) and Lima is a toss-up (Lima still doesn't have great takedown defense, but he's extremely dangerous on the feet).

Khabib would Mercilessly smash Askren standing. Different levels on the feet

why?

Askren's walking weight is 185, close to the max weight of Khabib, incidentally.

They are for all intents and purposes the same size.

Big words from a guy who's best win is a split decision over an aging Jay Hieron

Lol...

Its funny how members that have been here awhile can be so completely clueless about what happens outside the UFC.

The casuals use Heiron as an example of Askren not being the great but have no clue who Hieron is.

Let's set aside this was only Askren's 9th pro fight barely 2 years into his MMA career.

Or that the "aging" Hieron was 35 when they fought (a year younger than Woodley currently is) or that it was his 27th pro fight (he was 23-4 at the time) or that Hieron was on a 10 fight streak when he fought Askren.

Or that Hieron had wins over plenty of UFC alumni including other guys with serious wrestling credentials like Jake Ellenberger and Jesse Taylor.

Or that Askren himself admitted that he focused purely on striking for about 10 months prior to the fight because he knew he needed to improve his striking. As such by his own admission he had made a big mistake and his grappling was rusty as hell.

Considering Dana recently stated he would consider bringing Askren in once his contract is sorted out, we could see Askren vs. GSP or Khabib in the near future.

For the record, I think given his size, strength and wrestling, he would smother Khabib. However GSP would be too much.

lol, gsp ain't fighting askren. "too risky", for the guy afraid of losing.

Back