Askren vs Rory in bellator ?

Yeah Rory's takedown defense is actually not that great. He just rarely faces wrestlers.
He's a superb grappler tho. He did really well in the maia fight. I think he starts piecing askren up after a couple of hard rounds.

Askren (on Twitter): You think you could go the distance? I think I finish@you in round 3, the fight looks similar to what Condit did to you in round 3

MacDonald: i disagree

I got a good laugh at the thought of Akren finishing a top ranked opponent.....or fighting one.

I came to the UFC section to discuss UFC and the first thing I see is a Bellator/ONEFC thread

<{1-1}>

if there is a chance for askren to fight legit competition, it's probably not happening then

This. Askren is very good but until he actually has a matchup scheduled against a top guy theres no point in posting about him. He seems content making bank fighting bums in China or a FW/LW like Aoki

Rory_MacDonald_vs._Demian_Maia_ESCAPE.gif

Can he handle the Canadian monkey flip?

Rory grappling consists of butterfly guard and rolling side to side

f*ck his chances

If I can't see Ben in the UFC, him verses Rory in Bellator would be one hell of a consolation prize.

Ben is a competitor and he knows there are a lot who question how good he is. Rory would be a great test. I doubt Bellator wants him as champion .
I’d love to see him fight a Diaz brother but wrestlers not there strong suit and I don’t see them taking it. He’s not getting GSP. I’d say Maia, he is never getting another title shot and a grappling match would be fun. DAna doesn’t want him and definitely not as champ but Maia would be tough fight for him and not necessarily spring him towards a title.

Lmao askren is so underrated here. He outworks rory easy or maybe even tko. Askren is easily top 3 in the world at WW. Askren unlike maia wont gas and doesnt mind taking shots to get the takedown. Rory is no one punch ko artist. If anything someone like woodley or usman would be askren's worst matchup.

Pretty much the biggest fight Bellator can make right now. Do it, Coker!

If that is all they can get from him than go for it but I honestly think he needs a warm up fight since he has been fighting lower competition.

Askren v the loser of Fitch v Daley (the winner should fight Rory after Koreshkov gets a chance).

Make it fuckin' happen already

Clearly Ben doesn't want to retire, and wants to prove he can beat some good guys.. Just too bad his mouth kept him from signing over to the big leagues.

I would be excited for this matchup and I do think Ben would make it more competitive than some people think. However, I think Rory would ultimately win

If Ben won tho, no doubt he was world class the whole time. I know he beat Lima and Koreshkov, but he needs to beat a UFC contender to really make the case.

Askren just accepted a job as the Wisconsin Olympic Regional Training Center wrestling coach.

Not sure what kind of money that comes with, but would guess this hurts the chances of the Rory fight happening.

It can't happen because it would be too expensive and hardly anyone would watch. Bellator can barely afford to schedule Rory as it is, and now they're going to pay similar money for a virtual unknown with a boring style?

I'd be shocked if it goes ahead.

I think Askren can grind out Rory Macdonald but if Macdonald does what he’s done to all his other opponents, he has a chance

Many aren't impressed with Rory after his last fight but I think it would be quite competitive.

When was the last time Askren fought an impressive opponent? And please don't say FW-sized, past-his-prime Aoki...

Back