Askren vs Rory in bellator ?

When was the last time Askren fought an impressive opponent? And please don't say FW-sized, past-his-prime Aoki...
I think Askren would dodge him honestly....

Askren (on Twitter): You think you could go the distance? I think I finish@you in round 3, the fight looks similar to what Condit did to you in round 3

MacDonald: i disagree

Great analysis, Ben. I can see it going a lot like Rory-Condit. I mean Rory hasn't changed since 2010 when he was 19, and Condit & Askren are stylistic twins...

Great analysis, Ben. I can see it going a lot like Rory-Condit. I mean Rory hasn't changed since 2010 when he was 19, and Condit & Askren are stylistic twins...
I feel like Rory is one of the better well rounded guys in mma. His opponent's style is what makes or breaks him.

I feel like Rory is one of the better well rounded guys in mma. His opponent's style is what makes or breaks him.

Yeah, Rory had some trouble with Maia's TDs and grappling early in the fight. That would be my biggest concern. But he also had to be very concerned about a submission from Maia. Rory has better BJJ than Askren, so he's the one who would probably be going for submissions. Can Askren take him down and keep him down consistently...or get him in a bad position for effective GnP? That's the big question. But Rory has been active and fighting the best in UFC and now Bellator, while Ben was toying around with low-level fighters (except Santos) in OneFC for years. Rory is much more well rounded and more used to elite competition.

When was the last time Askren fought an impressive opponent? And please don't say FW-sized, past-his-prime Aoki...
I won't cause Shinya is a proven big fish in a small pond but I think it would still be a competitive fight.

Yeah, Rory had some trouble with Maia's TDs and grappling early in the fight. That would be my biggest concern. But he also had to be very concerned about a submission from Maia. Rory has better BJJ than Askren, so he's the one who would probably be going for submissions. Can Askren take him down and keep him down consistently...or get him in a bad position for effective GnP? That's the big question. But Rory has been active and fighting the best in UFC and now Bellator, while Ben was toying around with low-level fighters (except Santos) in OneFC for years. Rory is much more well rounded and more used to elite competition.
I think that's a pretty good assessment. To me, Rory has the better stand up so Ben's not going to want to trade shots with him. I think Askren would go for relentless takedowns. But like you said, Askren just isn't as battle tested. That doesn't necessarily mean he's not one of the best welterweights, but I like to make picks based on proven fighters and their proven abilities. So I'd take Rory on this one. Askren is dangerous enough with his wrestling that I def wouldn't bet money on it.

I won't cause Shinya is a proven big fish in a small pond but I think it would still be a competitive fight.

It wasn't. But Aoki was smashed by Gilbert Melendez and Eddie Alvarez (LWs) years ago...and lost to an largely unknown LW just before fighting Askren. It was a mismatch.

It wasn't. But Aoki was smashed by Gilbert Melendez and Eddie Alvarez (LWs) years ago...and lost to an largely unknown LW just before fighting Askren. It was a mismatch.
I'm talking about Askren/Rory. I knew Shinya was getting smashed in.

Back