ASOIAF Winds of Winter Unlikely to be released in 2018, GRRM wants to release Targaryen book first

You know he's not writing these companion books though, that's just licensing money for him. And, with a year between seasons of the show, fans are gonna eat this crap up. In a few years when the spinoffs have all died on the vine and the tv money stops coming in, then he'll have a sequel released, and he'll put some bombshell change into it to guarantee people buy it.
Except that he is involved in these Targaryen history books, more so than AWOIAF book released a couple years back with the help of Linda and Elio. And the show is pretty much over, there are 6 episodes and it’s wrapped. And with the drop in quality I’m not sure people are going to give much of a fuck about future projects if they are wholly disappointed by the end “season”. He’s old and fat, not a stellar combination for planning projects a few years down the road. He will never finish the story. At this rate we are looking at another 10 years for the final book. That may not mean much to people that aren’t invested in the story. Even then, that’s not the main source of frustration. It’s that he has been dishonest about finishing the story, and it being top priority. To pile on, he’s ordered his wife to burn his notes and not let anyone else finish the story after his death. Folks can give all the “sage” advice they want, but understand there are some poor bastards out here that have been following the story since the early 90s.

People in America are entitled as hell. Writers, fighters, actors everybody owes them something. Screw people of that ilk.
Book fans all over the world have expressed frustration, especially after this latest announcement. North Americans are but a small portion of the ASOIAF fan base. But that doesn’t really fit your narrative does it?

I don't know why people feel they are entitled to book 7. When you purchase a book you are exchanging your money for that book. It is not a contractual obligation that the author will continue to write more books for your consumption.
I understand it's disappointing but it's ridiculous to actual spit vitriol and wish physical harm on another person over this is ridiculous. You need to check your perspective. Presumably you got some enjoyment out of the time and money you spent on this series, isn't that enough? Just move on with your lives.

Well, he did release a teaser of the opening chapter I believe... like two years ago.

At this time, I don't really care either way. The Show has taken this monster over and the book will probably be released shortly after it's finished.

So, I'm not surprised to hear this

some people ITT are really naive thinking that D&D’s GoT conclusion will resemble the conclusion to ASOIAF in a way that is as detailed or will feel satisfactory.

Well, he did release a teaser of the opening chapter I believe... like two years ago.

At this time, I don't really care either way. The Show has taken this monster over and the book will probably be released shortly after it's finished.

Fair enough to be disappointed but people in Venezuela have no government and are starving, people in Mexico are getting their heads cut off, kids in Syria are getting blown up my missiles from other countries. People are seriously actually angry that some fat dude from New Jersey hasn't finished telling them a story? Grow up.

I would have thought the damage that Weiss and Benioff did to season 5, 7 and somewhat 6 would motive George to get his book done before the two womb bats screw things up further even though its too late at this point

Writers block is a thing. But I think he has it finished but wants it released posthumously.

Book fans all over the world have expressed frustration, especially after this latest announcement. North Americans are but a small portion of the ASOIAF fan base. But that doesn’t really fit your narrative does it?
my comment was directed at the American demographic of his fans. So we agree that they are entitled dicks. Same goes for his rude international outspoken fans.

I’m wondering how these sample chapters will fit now. From what I’ve read, he’s scrapped good chunks of the story multiple times and rewritten it. Are these sample chapters (up to 4 or 5 now) going to be affected? I don’t suppose it matters though.

some people ITT are really naive thinking that D&D’s GoT conclusion will resemble the conclusion to ASOIAF in a way that is as detailed or will feel satisfactory.

The last two seasons of the show were much better than the last book. It won't be anywhere near as detailed, which is good, but it also won't be meandering garbage, like the last book.

lol I was so triggered when the king killer author put out that stupid ass fucking short story about that chick who lives in the sewers or whatever. I have 4 mazalan books to finish too!

Did I read something that there are more 1st Law books out, but only in German or something?

No idea. I haven't even read the standalone books in that universe either. I really need to stop using the internet, playing games and watching something after dinner and just read. I tried the first Mazalan book and that thing made me dizzy haha. I'll have to give it a go again later because some people here said it really picks up in the later books. I also need to give Sanderson a try but I like my fantasy dirty and savage..not sure if his stuff will interest me.

Probably not but I'll take something instead of the nothing we're going to get.

I would have thought the damage that Weiss and Benioff did to season 5, 7 and somewhat 6 would motive George to get his book done before the two womb bats screw things up further even though its too late at this point

To be fair, the source material, from books 4 and 5, is pretty shit, meandering, and mostly unfilmable. Darkstar is one of the worst characters I've ever had the displeasure of reading about and it's such a lame nu-metal name that it's kind of endearing how terrible it is.

If D&D give us Cleganebowl in the last season, bad pussy and Mance Rayder and Stannis's character assassinations will all be forgiven.

Maybe he's trying really hard but he just can't get it right and he feels really bad about it and you guys still keep calling him names.
I don’t think big George reads Sherdog. Who knows? He has to be doing something instead of writing Winds of Winter, might as well be Sherdog.

I've read the books twice and, after all these years, I really don't care anymore. Feast and Dance are not good. Dance is actually really poor. I'll read the last 2 if he ever finishes, but meh.

No idea. I haven't even read the standalone books in that universe either. I really need to stop using the internet, playing games and watching something after dinner and just read. I tried the first Mazalan book and that thing made me dizzy haha. I'll have to give it a go again later because some people here said it really picks up in the later books. I also need to give Sanderson a try but I like my fantasy dirty and savage..not sure if his stuff will interest me.

Probably not but I'll take something instead of the nothing we're going to get.

To be fair, the source material, from books 4 and 5, is pretty shit, meandering, and mostly unfilmable. Darkstar is one of the worst characters I've ever had the displeasure of reading about and it's such a lame nu-metal name that it's kind of endearing how terrible it is.

If D&D give us Cleganebowl in the last season, bad pussy and Mance Rayder and Stannis's character assassinations will all be forgiven.
I actually liked the books except for the Dorne stuff. The Theon, winterfell, and Iron Island chapters were just mad crazy and the most interesting aspect. Its too bad the show didn't use Wyman Manderly much save for the cameo appearance

The last two seasons of the show were much better than the last book. It won't be anywhere near as detailed, which is good, but it also won't be meandering garbage, like the last book.
so strongly disagree w/ this. especially in regards to last season. you must be drunk.

The last 2 seasons of the show and the last 2 books were equally as shitty, IMO.

Fair enough to be disappointed but people in Venezuela have no government and are starving, people in Mexico are getting their heads cut off, kids in Syria are getting blown up my missiles from other countries. People are seriously actually angry that some fat dude from New Jersey hasn't finished telling them a story? Grow up.
I’d watch everyone of them die twice to get the ending to that story.

I actually liked the books except for the Dorne stuff. The Theon, winterfell, and Iron Island chapters were just mad crazy and the most interesting aspect. Its too bad the show didn't use Wyman Manderly much save for the cameo appearance

The payoff for Dorne was pretty good, in AFFC iirc. But getting there was brutal for me. If the journey isn't any good, it devalues the destination for me.

Agreed about Manderly. That's a missed opportunity and one of the newer plots that I'm very hyped for in the next book(s). I think it boils down to not enough time and everyone in the show probably just wants to wrap it up and move on to other things.

so strongly disagree w/ this. especially in regards to last season. you must be drunk.

As much as the last season seemed unnecessarily rushed, it still delivered on plot promises, had genuinely entertaining scenes and generally moved forward with clear purpose. The last book (two books, really), didn't have any of that. In some ways they were completely opposite, the books got bogged down in meaningless filler and detail to the point where nothing appeared to matter, while the show removed so much of the filler and detail that the world became lost and it turned into a highlight reel. At least the show recognized the plot, the books lost that after #3.

Back