Asura: China's most expensive film ever ($110 million) flops at the box-office, gets pulled

@Dragonlordxxxxx

Asura is the most expensive Chinese film ever made. It cost $110 million. It has been a massive flop, pulling in only $7.1 million. The production company has pulled the film from cinemas due to its poor showing. They state they are going to rework it and re-release it.

Asura is a fantasy epic, burrowing from Buddhist mythology.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/07/16/chinas-first-100-million-film-pulled-from-cinemas-amidst-horrendous-box-office-debut.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+foxnews/entertainment+(Internal+-+Entertainment+-+Mixed)

Trailer below. Some of the CGI (specifically in the desert scene) looks off.

110 mil for 7.

<{hughesimpress}>

Always seems kind of unfortunate when something that cost a lot of money and involved a lot of hard work by a lot of people, ends up sucking,
Yeah, you know a bunch of guys got shitcanned for doing what some clueless producer told them.

Kind of weird to pull it from theatres with the hopes of re-releasing an improved cut, though (especially not years later) Has this ever been done with a Western film?

Yeah, you know a bunch of guys got shitcanned for doing what some clueless producer told them.

Kind of weird to pull it from theatres with the hopes of re-releasing an improved cut, though (especially not years later) Has this ever been done with a Western film?
I don't think it has. Pretty odd move.

110 mil for 7.

<{hughesimpress}>

C1mGBSvWEAANu9k.jpg

So why did this bomb anyways? Just from the trailer it looks right up China's alley. CGI spectable with fantasy themes. This is, after all, the nation that keeps the Transformers movies afloat.

Last edited:

Yea that interests me more than the film
If this actually works and the movie becomes a hit I wonder how long it will be until we see it happen here, probably with a smaller studio first and then the major studios will catch on and eventually it will be like video game studios that release betas and broken games that will be patched later and we'll all live happily ever after in a world full of half finished movies that we pay for 4 different times

Trailer looks direct to video, and I'm wondering where is Stephan Chow

Liberals will tell you the movie didn't have enough diversity. Where were the black people, and the LGBT people?

Clearly why it flopped.

Yea that interests me more than the film
If this actually works and the movie becomes a hit I wonder how long it will be until we see it happen here, probably with a smaller studio first and then the major studios will catch on and eventually it will be like video game studios that release betas and broken games that will be patched later and we'll all live happily ever after in a world full of half finished movies that we pay for 4 different times

Imagine what opening weekend box office would look like, if people started holding off seeing movies until the patch got released...

China should stop trying to ape the West. They should promote their own style. Knocking off Western widgets works because people only care about the cost of the widget and whether it looks like it will work. This knockoff strategy works far less effectively with movies.

Don't they have test screenings in China? Its when it gets bad feedback that they reshoot some of the scenes before giving a wide release.

Liberals will tell you the movie didn't have enough diversity. Where were the black people, and the LGBT people?

Clearly why it flopped.
No one will tell you that. It's China, bro. They don't care about blacks and gays

Back