At highest level, do they shrug shoulders up when punching?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Now, I was asking this at striking forum on sherdog, but I think this might be just as good and from a difference source of information and phrase it little differently.

I was just talking about how in shotokan karate you don't shrug your shoulders but keep it down when you punch, and I feel kinda awkward when trying to shrug it at the end of the punches to keep your chin protected

Now, I thought that's the rule, you are supposed to protect your chin by pushing up your shoulder when you punch on the same side, but then again I was getting responses up there how you don't have to at all.

Then, I figured on this side of Sherdog there would be people who followed Boxing a long time or used to box, so I figured I'd pose the question her as well.

Do the highest level boxers shrug their shoulders at the end of their punches, jab hook cross uppercut inside or outside, etc etc? I just can't really tell whether they do or not by watching boxing matches. :/

I don’t “shrug” my shoulder to protect the chin when I punch; it happens as a function of keeping my chin tucked to my chest and punching straight from my face - I’m protected by my shoulder and no “shrugging” at the end is necessary.

your shoulder generally naturally go there anyway, unless you're tall for your division, which makes it possible for short guys to punch over punches like frazier did to ali, by accentuating his shortness and getting ali to punch down where he'd have less protection.

Back