At it again. Another heavy bag boxing vid.

Kyryllo

Kia kaha e hine!
@Black
Reaction score

I have decided to join a gym in September. There is one in the area run by Thomas Hladky, who aparently is a former K1 fighter.

Still haven't decided if I'll stick to boxing or would jump in straight to MT/KB. Not keen to continue effing up my body by kicking... On the other hand - I love kicking.

I have decided to join a gym in September. There is one in the area run by Thomas Hladky, who aparently is a former K1 fighter.

Still haven't decided if I'll stick to boxing or would jump in straight to MT/KB. Not keen to continue effing up my body by kicking... On the other hand - I love kicking.

Boxing-wise: you have great athletic movement for both your legs and upper body..especially for your age! But you're selling yourself short by not being the right distance away for your punches. By being too close to the bag, you're losing 2 important things- power and distance.

You already have great movement...that is the hard work...if you get a boxing coach to give you the basic fundementals for punching distance and turning over your elbow/fist at full extension you could have some great fights! Good luck mate!

PS please wear wraps and mitts lol

Quickest feet on the board! I remember seeing your tkd tutorials like 10 years ago and trying to do them with my friends.

Keep up, professor ✔️

Ps.: What you mean by effing your body by kicking? Knee problems?

Boxing-wise: you have great athletic movement for both your legs and upper body..especially for your age! But you're selling yourself short by not being the right distance away for your punches. By being too close to the bag, you're losing 2 important things- power and distance.

You already have great movement...that is the hard work...if you get a boxing coach to give you the basic fundementals for punching distance and turning over your elbow/fist at full extension you could have some great fights! Good luck mate!

PS please wear wraps and mitts lol
Thanks. I feel I am too close to the bag. Long punches feel a little awkward, as I don't always get the point to stiffen up the punch. I am not looking to get fights, just want to be more active. And I am wrapped up ;)

Quickest feet on the board! I remember seeing your tkd tutorials like 10 years ago and trying to do them with my friends.

Keep up, professor ✔️

Ps.: What you mean by effing your body by kicking? Knee problems?
Hehe, thanks.

Yes, knee problems, but also hip misalignment, back problems, and a left hamstring torn to shreds. I feel that kicking wise I am at 20% max of my former self and am very cautious.

What is the actual purpose of a heavy bag besides not needing a human or human held target?

What is the actual purpose of a heavy bag besides not needing a human or human held target?

The gap of not having a person or person holding a target is huge and the heavy bag is probably the best thing to use other than shadow boxing. With a heavy bag, double end bag and shadow boxing you can accomplish quite alot of things.

-it provides the resistance to your punch...when you hit a person there is impact
-you get to practice proper glove/fist connection upon that impact
-it allows 360 degree movement around a target
-allows practice of correct distance from opponent
-it allows sport specific cardiovascular training- for HIIT or endurance
-allows the practice of power punches

just to name a few...

It provides accurate feedback to each punch

(among many other things but I didn't see it specifically listed yet by BillytheFish)

Last edited:
Also, to TS, very nice stuff.

If I had to point out something that could be improved, I'd say putting your right leg out behind you sometimes. It kinda trails out there and you get a wide stance but for optimum leverage and readiness of that right hand side (powers the right hand and keeps stability) you want to keep that rear/right leg under you, under-ish your hip MORE so it can be ready to explode and really dig in to give you that sweet earth-grounded leverage.

Make sure the right foot is never drifting over the floor or being dragged back and forth when you move but rather solidly pushing off of it and grounded into it, this also helps you be immediately be able to react to punches, having 2 feet with a nice, ready connection to the ground makes a person so much better at reacting to what's happening (or about to happen) whether its defense or clinch or going on the offense at a split second notice. When you don't think about it sometimes your toes push off the floor but toes are not solid enough to transmit power, make sure it's the front ball area. Literally everyone does this until pointed out or reminded

Really sweet session, though, don't get me wrong. It shouldn't be that hard to tweak that mod into play since you only do it here and there sometimes. This easy tiny difference will make your right hand more ready, leveraged and authoritative and will increase the reach of the right side at all times without any drawback

Last edited:
Must admit unless Daniel Cormier posts here anonymously, I'm fairly confident you'd beat everyone else on the forum haha

Must admit unless Daniel Cormier posts here anonymously, I'm fairly confident you'd beat everyone else on the forum haha

Dunno- I think YCM might have a thing to say about that. And what about speed boy? You forgot speed boy

Last edited:
Also, to TS, very nice stuff.

If I had to point out something that could be improved, I'd say putting your right leg out behind you sometimes. It kinda trails out there and you get a wide stance but for optimum leverage and readiness of that right hand side (powers the right hand and keeps stability) you want to keep that rear/right leg under you, under-ish your hip MORE so it can be ready to explode and really dig in to give you that sweet earth-grounded leverage.

Make sure the right foot is never drifting over the floor or being dragged back and forth when you move but rather solidly pushing off of it and grounded into it, this also helps you be immediately be able to react to punches, having 2 feet with a nice, ready connection to the ground makes a person so much better at reacting to what's happening (or about to happen) whether its defense or clinch or going on the offense at a split second notice. When you don't think about it sometimes your toes push off the floor but toes are not solid enough to transmit power, make sure it's the front ball area. Literally everyone does this until pointed out or reminded

Really sweet session, though, don't get me wrong. It shouldn't be that hard to tweak that mod into play since you only do it here and there sometimes. This easy tiny difference will make your right hand more ready, leveraged and authoritative and will increase the reach of the right side at all times without any drawback

I know what you mean. I don't like having the back foot under me, as I like the added lower and upper body mobility of the wider stance with bend legs. I can move my hips and there fore the entire upper body this way a foot in each direction without moving the feet. I understand this attitude compromises other things, yet I prefer the mobility. Maybe this preference may change at some point, we'll see. But yes, I feel I am loading the front leg too much at times and little pressure comes from the hind leg.

Don't know man, I couldn't take spacetime, that's for sure. He has those fast twitch muscles and the strength of autism...

Don't know man, I couldn't take spacetime, that's for sure. He has those fast twitch muscles and the strength of autism...

What is your competitive background? Did you do TKD fights back then or also something else?

Back