At what point does Woodley enter WW goat contention?

i know hes still a bit off from beating GSP and Hughes, but lets look at some of his wins.

Carlos Condit
Stephen Thompson
Demian Maia
Kelvin Gastelum
Robbie Lawler
Lol never.

At his age he is never surpassing GSP. Hell I don't see anyone surpassing GSP for a very long time.

Let's look at his 3 title defenses.

Wonderboy (Draw)
Wonderboy 2 (Majority Decision)
Maia (Unanimous Decision) (Least strikes thrown in UFC history)

Woodley has some of the worst title defenses in UFC history. Not to mention the most boring.

He lost to Jake Shields, Rory McDonald etc.. He is not the best Welterweight.

GSP has proven he was the best WW. He beat EVERYBODY during a period where the division was stacked. He has a record of 26-2 and avenged his 2 only losses. Not to mention 9 title defenses.

You deserve an infraction for even putting Woodley in the same discussion as GSP.

Last edited:
First of all, it will be hard to pass two guys that were ranked top 1-3 p4p for a very long time. Woodley is good, but when Hughes was at his best, he wasn’t only considered the best WW in the world, but the single best fighter of all weightclasses. Gsp was also considered top 3 p4p.

Second, Tyron only has 3-4 title defences.

It's not just the defenses, it's the domination. Hughes and especially GSP mowed through the division. You can criticize GSP for not going for finishes after the Serra KO, but he mauled the people he faced. Ground them into the mat. Hughes' body slams were epic and his comeback after the nut shot from Trigg is still a candidate for best comeback ever. TWood may have the ability but he's dominated almost no one. That's what he needs to even enter the WW GOAT discussion.

Hughes was 41-4 at his peak, when he finished Penn.
He won 8 WW title fights, all but one by finish. (would be 9 if Joe Riggs hadn't missed weight)

Woodley is 18-3-1.
He has just had 4 title fights so far. 2 decision wins, 1 draw and 1 finish.

But I must say, Tyrone has faced some good competition. Besides stopping the wonderful streaks of Maia, Wonderboy and Lawler - his way to the top was also filled with pretty good competition.
Saffiedine, Daley, Marquardt (remember, he KO'd Maia), Shields, Kosheck, Condit, Rory, Dong Hyun Kim.

Woodley didn't have the same meteoric rise as GSP or Hughes record before his first title fight. In his last 8 he was 5-3.

Last edited:
Even the fact that people aren't saying what he needs to get into the contention, shows that many are biased with their hatred
Stating the accomplishments of others in order to compare Tyron's run mean we're "hating" now?

<36>

Tyron doesn't get to be the GREATEST OF ALL TIME if his accomplishments aren't the GREATEST

See how that works?

It's not just the defenses, it's the domination. Hughes and especially GSP mowed through the division. You can criticize GSP for not going for finishes after the Serra KO, but he mauled the people he faced. Ground them into the mat. Hughes' body slams were epic and his comeback after the nut shot from Trigg is still a candidate for best comeback ever. TWood may have the ability but he's dominated almost no one. That's what he needs to even enter the WW GOAT discussion.
This.

Not to mention he hasn't faced all the best guys in his division. Covington, Darren Till, Usman etc..

GSP cleared the entire division. He beat everyone from the previous generation and everyone from the current and new generation at the time.

Woodley is never going anywhere near what GSP has accomplished. Even if he was given 5 more years of fighting at his best.

First of all, it will be hard to pass two guys that were ranked top 1-3 p4p for a very long time. Woodley is good, but when Hughes was at his best, he wasn’t only considered the best WW in the world, but the single best fighter of all weightclasses. Gsp was also considered top 3 p4p.

Second, Tyron only has 3-4 title defences.
I saw someone else claimin´ Hughes was P4P No1 at that time, he even sent me a ridiculous Internet P4P list (including Ricardo Almeida & França Nogueira, among others...)...

Sorry, I dont see it.

I dont recall anyone, any MMA commentators, be it in Pride, IVC, WVC etc... backing it at that time.

Just imagine how hated GSP would be around here if he had losses to Shields, Marquart and MacDonald and then a Draw to Thompson.

Beats GSP's title defense record, retires as champion, and moves up to win MW title

It’s really all down to him improving on his listening skills at this point, imo

this is where Travis Browne could be an essential consultant for his career

He's got a long, long way to go. He's too old, he'll be out of prime before he even gets close.

Anybody posting from an iPhone?

(I know- booo)

When I post from mobile, after this update, sherdog doesn’t automatically load, and I have to refresh from a white screen

Being Objective: His biggest wins are Wonderboyx2, Lawler, Fat Kelvin, Maia, Condit. If he beats Colby, and then 2-3 more guys while continuing to call out GSP and having GSP duck him, he'll be the goat WW. I personally don't think this will happen but it could. GSP refusing to fight him weighs a lot in that conversation.
Oh stfu.

GSP is done fighting at Welterweight. He already did what he needed to do in that division.

If Tyron wanted to fight GSP, then he should have done it when GSP was in his prime. But yea, almost forgot, Tyron lost to Jake Shields so obviously couldn't get a title shot back then.

How tough of him to call out a worn out, 2 acl surgeries later GSP who hasn't competed at welterweight since 2013.

Can't never compete with GSP so never. Same reason why GSP can't be p4p GOAT cause Fedor is. It is actually quite simple if you think of it.

Stating the accomplishments of others in order to compare Tyron's run mean we're "hating" now?

<36>

Tyron doesn't get to be the GREATEST OF ALL TIME if his accomplishments aren't the GREATEST

See how that works?

The question was to point out what Tyron has to do in order to get close to be ww GOAT, not whether if he's actually close to be the ww GOAT, see how that works?

Anybody posting from an iPhone?

(I know- booo)

When I post from mobile, after this update, sherdog doesn’t automatically load, and I have to refresh from a white screen
Same here.

It's funny because if GSP accepted a fight with him, Woodley could be goat ww this year after he won.

But by denying tyron this opportunity gsp fans can continue to mma math Woodley out of goat discussions, at least until a few more title defences.

The fact that gsp ducks Woodley who is only 1 year younger and coming off surgeries his own has to be something positive for tyron imo.

Back