Social Atheist BC parents awarded $12k after child barred from pre-school

Wet Blanket

Bipartisan GIF Machine
@red
Reaction score
So some atheist parents didn't want their child to hear about Santa or be exposed to Christmas and Hanukkah decorations at school. Got into arguments with the staff who eventually got sick of dealing with them and barred the poor kid from preschool. Parents were subsequently awarded $12k from the human rights tribunal.

"For instance, when Mangel learned the school planned to include clay elf decorations in its December festivities, he wrote an email to the board objecting, and suggested some "atheist Christmas ornaments" that would better represent the views of his family.That included one that simply says "Skeptic," and another that depicted the World Trade Center in New York with the caption "Atheists don't fly airplanes into buildings.""

These parents were getting pretty ridiculous with their demands, such as demanding Santa Claus not be discussed.

I don't think barring the kid from school was the right thing to do, but man these poor teachers and staff had to deal some real a-hole parents. My family is atheist / agnostic and we still respect other religions. I wouldn't feel my child is being indoctrinated just because other kids are allowed to celebrate their beliefs and traditions. They weren't being forced to recite prayers, or take communion, or anything of that sort... Just decorations and lighting a menorah.

Anyway, the father realty went off and did some other stuff like marching around throwing Nazi salutes and whatnot as well.

Read all about it here...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/atheist-bc-human-rights-1.4943787

Leftists hate Christmas.

And the progressive movement of being a victim is so popular today. These parents probably really believe they are victims and are owed something.

Makes zero fucking sense. Being an atheist is compatible with a fairy tale representation of a religious celebration.

Leftists hate Christmas.

And the progressive movement of being a victim is so popular today. These parents probably really believe they are victims and are owed something.

Leftists don't hate Xmas, stop playing the victim card yourself.

We're a pretty far left family and we love Xmas. Not for religious reasons obviously, but for the gathering of friends and family over the holiday period. We put up a tree, decorations, and lights, etc. Nice and festive.

(I do hate the mass consumerism event that it is turned into and the month of maddening xmas music though.)

FYI, I think these parents are selfish assholes.

I prefer the original heathen/pagan version

That should cover court cost right?

This sounds like they won a debt.

The parents are exposing the kid to trauma in a daily basis, basically they are willingly committing child abuse just so they can virtue signal to their atheist friends. The state should take the kid away.

Last edited:
Leftists don't hate Xmas, stop playing the victim card yourself.

We're a pretty far left family and we love Xmas. Not for religious reasons obviously, but for the gathering of friends and family over the holiday period. We put up a tree, decorations, and lights, etc. Nice and festive.

(I do hate the mass consumerism event that it is turned into and the month of maddening xmas music though.)

FYI, I think these parents are selfish assholes.
I should say some leftists.

Activate the War on Christmas tag!

So this is the crux of it:

"in June 2015, when the school asked Mangel and Yasué to sign off on their acceptance of the curriculum...When they refused, the little girl wasn't allowed to return to school in the fall, according to the decision. That demand amounted to discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry and religion,"

I'm curious what makes that discrimination. The press releases I read don't get into it much, but it seems that this family was targeted with the letter based on religious beliefs. Canada is a lot more touchy about that sort of thing than the US.

"Mangel responded, 'I'll sue them too' and then began doing the Nazi salute and marching around while he sung a different version of O Canada," Korenkiewicz wrote.

That father sounds insane, but this part cracked me up.

"The case wasn't about whether the school should be allowed to display Christmas ornaments or dreidels, or if teachers can discuss religion and holy days with their young charges. Instead, it was about the school's response to the parents' complaints — a response the tribunal described as discrimination."

reminds me of westboro baptist church. keep fucking with people til they break the law in response.

poor kid.

Leftists hate Christmas.

Or just inherently, maliciously evil with no attempt to hide it like most progressives do.

This is ridiculous

The Jesus christ birth story wasn't pushed on the kid, he was just around the secular and capitalist Christmas decorations???

Maybe the parents should have just taught their kid that all the religious stuff is baloney instead of being twats.

As long as the decorations were secular I don't see a problem, and it would have been a good opportunity to expose them to other beliefs so they can form their own opinion. Arriving at your own choices or decisions based on your own knowledge is pretty much the cornerstone of atheism.

Last edited:
Back