Athletes who hung on too long...

vRoTXCr.jpg
karl still averaged 13 pts (i know way below his avg) and shot nearly 50 percent from the field his last year. well below his standards but a lot of guys would be happy with that

karl still averaged 13 pts (i know way below his avg) and shot nearly 50 percent from the field his last year. well below his standards but a lot of guys would be happy with that
He was chasing, but I agree, he was effective and he was sweet to Vanessa

Almost every combat sport athlete ever.

This is kind of unfair because most athletes retire due to injury or getting cut, no contract offers, ... You can't really get cut (although the UFC would beg to differ) from combat sports and injury just means you don't fight.

My favorite athlete has always been Marvin Hagler. He did it right. He quit on top (we all know he beat Leonard), had plenty of money, health and retired to Italy.

Fedor seems to go that route!

Last edited:
Takanori Gomi, Joe Lauzon, BJ Penn and Diego Sanchez. @HI SCOTT NEWMAN @paynebringer
Agreed with all of them!. Gomi is the saddest one to me, I used to be a big fan of his, but he has been awful and finished for a long time now and I feel like he is just showing up to collect money and doesn't really care. 1-6 in his last 7 fights and he doesn't even seem disappointed or frustrated when he losses. He was so good to watch back in pride days

Ken Griffey Jr. Dude couldn't pinch in a game in his last season because he fell asleep in a chair.

Agreed with all of them!. Gomi is the saddest one to me, I used to be a big fan of his, but he has been awful and finished for a long time now and I feel like he is just showing up to collect money and doesn't really care. 1-6 in his last 7 fights and he doesn't even seem disappointed or frustrated when he losses. He was so good to watch back in pride days

He's a shadow of his former self. Not worth to tarnish the image he built so hard in Pride.

Difference between Mario and everyone else on that list is he was still averaging 1 ppg before the injuries, everyone else was well passed washed by the time they quit

Absolutely right. Mario left too early. Gretzky hung on too long.

Also, Richard Petty drove way too long in Nascar. Once your reflexes are gone you can't race at that level. Crashed almost every race for his last few years.

Back