Atlanta court says gays, lesbians not a protected class

You'll need to explain your position.

For decades Americans have been protected from discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, age, and nationality - but you think it should be fair game to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation?
My position is that I don't believe that it would make any difference. If employers don't like someone they will find a reason to fire/ not hire them. It does not affect me in any way. So either way is ok with me.

It is interesting how much liberals pretend to care about gays, but then make endless homophobic jokes about Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin(in addition to the countless other conservatives they hate). Liberals should set an example and stop making a mockery of homosexuality.

adc.jpg

If we conducted the experiment of eliminating the concept of legal protection for race, religion, and sex, what do you think the results of the experiment would be?

The answer to that is the answer to your suspicion that civil rights are outdated.
I think that over a very short period of time, you’d see about the same as we have now. Keep in mind that legal protections mean nothing to the court of public opinion, so when an organization acted in a bigoted manner, they’d still get called out and lose reputation. And you’d stop hearing people say things like, “That person must be an affirmative action hire.” The latter point makes me think that we might see a more long-term improvement in relations between races, genders, ethnic groups, and the sort.

I don’t think that civil rights are outdated at all! I’m surprised that you’d say that. What I want is for all people to treat one another without regard to race/gender/religion, so I just think that the best way to do that is treat one another without any regard to race/gender/religion.

I think that over a very short period of time, you’d see about the same as we have now. Keep in mind that legal protections mean nothing to the court of public opinion, so when an organization acted in a bigoted manner, they’d still get called out and lose reputation. And you’d stop hearing people say things like, “That person must be an affirmative action hire.” The latter point makes me think that we might see a more long-term improvement in relations between races, genders, ethnic groups, and the sort.

I don’t think that civil rights are outdated at all! I’m surprised that you’d say that. What I want is for all people to treat one another without regard to race/gender/religion, so I just think that the best way to do that is treat one another without any regard to race/gender/religion.
I took your comment of them being antiquated beyond their virtue to mean that they are outdated. I really don't know how else to take that. I think if we were to stop enforcing civil rights, it would be really bad and it would start happening overnight (lots of violence and property damage).

The blind society would self-evidently not need laws that protect all people from racial discrimination, so pursuing the ideal by repealing of civil rights would be a formally valid argument, but as long as civil rights are keeping the peace (they really are, imo), it's not logical to eliminate the laws. To me that's like saying that we wouldn't need laws against murder if we have all stopped killing each other, so we should work to eliminate antiquated murder laws, now that our murder rate has dropped.

It is interesting how much liberals pretend to care about gays, but then make endless homophobic jokes about Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin(in addition to the countless other conservatives they hate). Liberals should set an example and stop making a mockery of homosexuality.

adc.jpg

I completely disagree with that interpretation. And I realize that it's not your interpretation alone.

I thought the point of the joke is to suggest that Trump and Putin are so close that they are in essence in a romantic relationship. The people who read emasculation into it would be the ones with the problem, imo. We make the same insinuation with men and women who act subservient to someone of the opposite gender.

This particular bit of outrage definitely left me confused.

I completely disagree with that interpretation. And I realize that it's not your interpretation alone.

I thought the point of the joke is to suggest that Trump and Putin are so close that they are in essence in a romantic relationship. The people who read emasculation into it would be the ones with the problem, imo. We make the same insinuation with men and women who act subservient to someone of the opposite gender.

This particular bit of outrage definitely left me confused.

You cannot understand why some people might interpret the endless onslaught of gay Trump and Putin jokes as homophobic?

<DisgustingHHH>

BBC:
'Homophobic' jokes about Trump and Putin criticised by LGBT campaigners

"Depicting public figures as gay or bi in an attempt to mock them is a damaging trend that needs to stop," she said.

"These images reinforce a harmful narrative that being LGBT is inferior or something to be ridiculed.

"This isn't political satire, it's just old-fashioned homophobia."

Vulture:

Comedians Slam New York Times for Homophobic Trump/Putin ‘Joke’

You’ve done it guys. You’ve saved democracy by saying Trump and Putin are gay for each other. The first 1000 times didn’t work, but your version was the final nail. You have humiliated them out of destroying democracy by saying they are like gay people. The union is safe.
-Guy Branum

If you defend homophobic Trump/Putin jokes because Trump himself would hate to be called gay, I regret to inform you that he isn't reading your jokes because they're not on Fox News. So all you're doing is serving us a dizzying mix of hurtful and boring. Knock it the fuck off.
-Michael Hartney

Stop this shit. Gay men are not a punchline.
-Elizabeth M

Last edited by a moderator:

adc.jpg
You quoted a liberal critcizing homophobia on the left.

I misread your post so that is true but pan's point is also true, in many cases you might be able to tell if they are gay from their social media accounts. Also a gay guy doesn't have to be very extra to come off as gay. There are studies that suggest that people are actually pretty good at judging whether or not someone is gay based off of their mannerisms.

Back in the day I have a schoolmate who really looks like gay and I swear everyone is sure he is gay just based on how he moves and talks but it turns out he is straight.

He is so effeminate he got into fights with masculine gay and bi guys trying to hit on him at bars and stuff.

Why do they need to make protected classes? Shouldn't all classes of people be protected including white males?

You quoted a liberal critcizing homophobia on the left.

Yes. I quoted even more liberals in post #52 telling other liberals to quit the homophobic "jokes" about Trump and Putin.

I thought the point of the joke is to suggest that Trump and Putin are so close that they are in essence in a romantic relationship. The people who read emasculation into it would be the ones with the problem, imo.

What's there to "read into"? They blatantly portray Trump as a teenage girl with a crush in that cartoon. The emasculation related to the homosexuality is blatant as hell.

adc.jpg

Putin stretched Trump's old wrinkled butthole and he didn't even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach around. He then shot a giant load of manchowder all over Trump's ugly traitorous face.

I'm not homophobic, just calling it as I see it.

Correct, as if companies aren't searching social media profiles these days.
apparently not, Disney gave James gun 2 movies to helm. look how that turned out.

.yes I know disney knew about it and just used it as an excuse when they wanted to go their separate ways.

Putin stretched Trump's old wrinkled butthole and he didn't even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach around. He then shot a giant load of manchowder all over Trump's ugly traitorous face.

I'm not homophobic, just calling it as I see it.
putin is the worst dictator in the world, he gets trump elected

then trump lowers taxes for citizens and corporations, continues policies that result in low unemployment, get companies to agree to come back to the united states, with the lower corporate taxes, companies are raising wages and giving bonuses, etc. America overall is prospering.

So putin got trump elected to strengthen America?

Back