Attacking the New-School Straight Footlock and Defending the Old

Whoa...I don't get this. It looked like Mikey was going to get leg dragged. That shallow hook stoped a leg drag? Can somebody please explain?

The key detail i noticed was Mikey using the lower leg to push on the seat seam/inside thigh of Barata's leg, which combined with Mikey's hold around the other foot let him load up Barata and manipulate his balance, preempting him from being able to collapse into a leg drag. From there, it was a simple matter to roll into the extension for the finish.

For the finish, one of the most impactful things that made it happen the way i saw it was making sure his feet stayed in connection with the opponent (ideally on the hips) when extending. Thereby, forming a 'closed loop', ensuring that all the force of the extension goes into your opponents leg and nowhere else.

Mikey actually got into this same position multiple times in his match at the no gi worlds two years ago with Paulo Miyao; at that time though he did not make a proper connection with his legs, Paulo's leg was not fixed in place by the counter force of the extension, so when he pulled it, he pulled it up with him, so little force was transferred too the ankle (and compromised the position). He still ended up winning in the end, but did not get a tap.

This time though, he made the connection and closed the loop, taking the leg home in seconds.

Last edited:
I've been getting alot of mileage out of this technique. Lately chaining it with an overhook Xguard sweep. Thank you. Your videos have always been gold.

Prior to my injury, I was getting it from overtook x-guard without actually even putting Uke's hips on the mat, and i'm getting suspicious this is just a gimmick that i haven't figured out the obvious downside of yet. Essentially overhook with the x, Uke shifts weight to the non-overhooked leg in order to turn their hips and pull it out, and I kick away with the x while rolling my shoulder back. Getting a lot of panicked double-taps but it doesn't feel terribly secure.

Prior to my injury, I was getting it from overtook x-guard without actually even putting Uke's hips on the mat, and i'm getting suspicious this is just a gimmick that i haven't figured out the obvious downside of yet. Essentially overhook with the x, Uke shifts weight to the non-overhooked leg in order to turn their hips and pull it out, and I kick away with the x while rolling my shoulder back. Getting a lot of panicked double-taps but it doesn't feel terribly secure.

if it works, it works!

David Morcegao shows you how to set up and finish the New School Straight Footlock, then goes on to show the defence to the old school straight footlock.

www.invisiblejiujitsu.co.uk

Been trying to hit this is past couple of days, seems to be very difficult actually. A traditional footlock you can swing your leg out and over with no impediment, for this one its very difficult top get the foot through his legs to the outside and his other leg will always be in the way, How do you pull it off?

Been trying to hit this is past couple of days, seems to be very difficult actually. A traditional footlock you can swing your leg out and over with no impediment, for this one its very difficult top get the foot through his legs to the outside and his other leg will always be in the way, How do you pull it off?

I find it easier taking a side step first. So in the Op's video, he would slightly sidestep to his left prior to putting his leg hook(right leg) in. Then he would put his left foot on the hip. The more reps you do, easier and faster you will put the legs in position. It is actually alot easier than the traditional because your leg doesn't have to travel as far.

Back