Attempted bombing of Houston Confederate monument

I've read 2 articles about the guy, the one posted in OP, as well as a 2013 article referencing several of his family's homes being the subject of FBI raids for explosives.

I also looked at his Facebook page.

In none of this is there any mention of political motivation, being associated with AntiFa, or anything on "the left" or "right".

Just thought I'd throw that in there. Carry on with the manufactured hysteria.
Well just looking at the past week, statues are under attack or are talked about being taken down by the left. So it's a safe assumption that this guy leans left.

Well just looking at the past week, statues are under attack or are talked about being taken down by the left. So it's a safe assumption that this guy leans left.

How is it a safe assumption? When the officer asked why he did it, he just said "I don't like that guy".

Further, he was busted in 2013 for the same shit, which tells me that he's been at this kind of thing for a while, meaning, he sounds like a nutjob-sans-political-motives.

Immediately shouting that this guy is antifa as if it's a foregone conclusion seems like confirmation bias to me, rip.

But the problem is "antifa" isn't really a thing. It's just what Trump supporters call anyone opposed to them. There aren't really any organized "far left" groups within what conservatives call "antifa". The far right have plenty of terror groups identified by the FBI. Those groups have by laws, hierarchies, charters, etc. "Antifa". doesn't.
The alt-right doesn't fulfill any of the criteria you listed here either. So I guess they're not a thing?

Sounds more like an anarchist douche than an Antifa douche. I guess a lot of Antifa douches think they are anarchists though.

How is it a safe assumption? When the officer asked why he did it, he just said "I don't like that guy".

Further, he was busted in 2013 for the same shit, which tells me that he's been at this kind of thing for a while, meaning, he sounds like a nutjob-sans-political-motives.

Immediately shouting that this guy is antifa as if it's a foregone conclusion seems like confirmation bias to me, rip.
I didn't say he is antifa. I said he's probably on the left.

ISIS mentality.

even a caveman would not do it, they are animals. destroying monuments is like killing innocent people to me.

Why did "Antifa" not try these things like years ago if they were around? Why now all of a sudden?

The alt-right doesn't fulfill any of the criteria you listed here either. So I guess they're not a thing?
Please re-read my post. Where did I say anything about the alt right?

Alt right are people who follow an ideological movement. Far right terror groups are groups that have organization, and have committed crimes defined as terrorism by the FBI.

Two different things.

This isn't entirely accurate. A guy I knew in high school was a member of an Antifa chapter. They had regular meetings and everything. They went to the 2008 RNC riots in Minneapolis. It's definitely an organized group. People who aren't members do get lumped in, though, I agree with that.

And if the investigation into this guy turns up that he is connected to a far-left organized group then that group will definitely be labeled as a terrorist organization. I'm pretty sure by the FBI's definition this act of attempting to blow up a Confederate Monument falls under domestic terrorism by definition.

Please re-read my post. Where did I say anything about the alt right?

Alt right are people who follow an ideological movement. Far right terror groups are groups that have organization, and have committed crimes defined as terrorism by the FBI.

Two different things.

Sure but you said Antifa isn't really a thing. But alt-right and Antifa are still movements, they exist, and you could associate individuals to those groups, given enough information.
A strict organization isn't really necessary these days and it whether or not they're a loose, informal movement doesn't say a lot.
A name, an ideology, and social media accounts are a sufficient replacement these days. They're still able to organize protests, and probably different types of actions as well.
And I assume both groups have some sort of 'organization' and hierarchy in form of an inner circle 'behind the scenes'. People who know each other, who do most of the work, who come up with ideas and actions, run the more important websites, forums and social media sites/accounts. It doesn't really matter whether or not everybody who's kind of associated with the alt-right officially recognizes somebody like Spencer as his Sturmfuehrer. If he wants something to get done, he'll simply tell the most influential people in their movement, they'll support him, post about it, message people, do videos and therefore whatever he said is what the alt-right will do next.
That alone doesn't really make it less (/or more) dangerous.

Back