Attended a Ciao Terra Seminar Last Weekend

KikoJones

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So I drove the 2.5 hrs up to Jacksonville to attend the Ciao Terra Seminar. I've attended quite a few but I really like this one. His teaching style is a bit intense but he did warn us that he was super jet lagged.

He picked out a Brown Belt about his size that I happened to have paired up with. Super nice guy.
Anyway, what I found different was Ciao expected resistance when demonstrating the techniques. The Brownie would be compliant and Ciao would...for lack of a better term, reprimand him. Not too strongly but enough. After a bit the Brownie caught on but it was an adjustment for all, I'm sure.

He started by asking the group of almost 50 students to choose between, Turtle attack, "tricks" and side control. He then instructed them to go different parts of the mats depending on their choice. Turtle Attack was the largest group so he focused the 3 hr seminar on attacking the Turtle using double lapels.

I really enjoy understanding the why of techniques and he didn't disappoint. I thought the level of detail was spot on. Not too much to bore you and not too little to leave you scratching your head.

At the end he shares some words of wisdom, takes a group picture and then individual photos.

The place emptied out pretty fast and this allowed me to chat with him which he gladly did.

Overall, I'd highly recommend a Ciao Terra seminar to anyone. If I was in San Jose, I'd definitely train at his place. Love his game.

26233482_10213465341141304_791570567647820513_o.jpg
photo.php

His attention to detail and making sure everyone gets the move is far and above anyone I've ever been to a seminar with (been to 2, will be a 3rd in April).

Interesting that he's teaching 3 seminars at once. It's like the chessmaster who players multiple opponents while blindfolded.

He picked out a Brown Belt about his size that I happened to have paired up with. Super nice guy.
Anyway, what I found different was Ciao expected resistance when demonstrating the techniques. The Brownie would be compliant and Ciao would...for lack of a better term, reprimand him. Not too strongly but enough. After a bit the Brownie caught on but it was an adjustment for all, I'm sure.

I've been to a Caio seminar too and this is one of the things I like - his techniques are based on the reactions of his opponents, so he wants his demo guys to be in a natural response state, rather than compliant dead weight. And it means he's actually covering the setup to the technique rather just the "meat" technique.

So while an average instructor might teach the triangle choke, which you can't do if the guy is resisting, Caio would start from a guard position with a wary opponent that allows you to get to that triangle choke in the 1st place.

Interesting that he's teaching 3 seminars at once. It's like the chessmaster who players multiple opponents while blindfolded.

He doesn't actually teach 3 seminars at once. He give the crowd 3 options and teaches what the majority of the attendees are interested in.

What's actually impressive is that he's prepared to deliver 3 hrs of next level instruction regardless of the subject. Not only is he a great competitor but an outstanding instructor.

BTW, he also hands out a coupon to 25% off coupon "TCA25%" to CaioTerra.com.

For some reason I thought you would be taller than Caio.

I almost didn't recognize him at first glance- I thought you were Terra, lol. He looked so much older for a second, but he is a great practitioner and coach of the sport. Would love to attend a seminar from Terra.

I've been to many of his seminars, one of the best for sure. He is obviously a BJJ savant and at times has to "dumb it down" for us haha. Overall, excellent technique all the time. I never miss his seminars.

He doesn't actually teach 3 seminars at once. He give the crowd 3 options and teaches what the majority of the attendees are interested in.

What's actually impressive is that he's prepared to deliver 3 hrs of next level instruction regardless of the subject. Not only is he a great competitor but an outstanding instructor.

BTW, he also hands out a coupon to 25% off coupon "TCA25%" to CaioTerra.com.

It has its pros and cons. While cool, it might detract from preparation in that he's not able to really nail down one area. Some people like the fly by the seat of your pants approach while some like a prepared, no deviation approach

I've been to many of his seminars, one of the best for sure. He is obviously a BJJ savant and at times has to "dumb it down" for us haha. Overall, excellent technique all the time. I never miss his seminars.

He's definitely on to it. Depends on his audience. Maybe he's mellowed down. I went to a seminar of his a few years ago. Came off a bit prickly as OP mentioned re: his uke. Friend of mine on the same seminar tour (seminar he attended as about 2 months later) said the same thing

He's definitely on to it. Depends on his audience. Maybe he's mellowed down. I went to a seminar of his a few years ago. Came off a bit prickly as OP mentioned re: his uke. Friend of mine on the same seminar tour (seminar he attended as about 2 months later) said the same thing

If you take his behavior in context, he's a perfectionist. The knowledge you're receiving is next level and is battle proven. Contrasted with a less than noteworthy Buchecha seminar I attended. I'll put up with a little OCD if the "invisible Jiu Jitsu" is explained.

If you take his behavior in context, he's a perfectionist. The knowledge you're receiving is next level and is battle proven. Contrasted with a less than noteworthy Buchecha seminar I attended. I'll put up with a little OCD if the "invisible Jiu Jitsu" is explained.

Wasn't OCD....

You used "reprimand" I would've used a stronger term in the seminar I attended

Caio Terra, my coach for 4 years. Brilliant jiu Jitsu mind... you should have seen him when he first came to the u.s.
I learned so much from him.

I was fortune enough to go to a seminar he did and would also recommend. The only problem is it was several years ago when I was a blue belt and I just don't feel like my understanding of things was to the point where I was able to retain and apply as much of it as I would have liked.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Last edited:
@KikoJones, no we don't know each other. I just figured Caio would be really short since he competed at under 125lbs. I thought he would be 5'3" or something. Clearly I was wrong.

Back