Audi drops remaining manuals in their lineup

bad seed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://jalopnik.com/audi-drops-remaining-manuals-in-u-s-a4-and-a5-models-1828446608
The only Audi manuals you could still get were the base A4 and A5 but they are dropping those next year- which means Audi's entire lineup will be AUTOMATICS. How the mighty have fallen. I rememeber test driving the TT-RS several years ago (a 5 cyl beast that can hit low 3 secs to 60 with just a flash), and that was only available with manual. A magical experience. Now they only make cars for soccer moms and accountants.

the R8 with gated shifter will probably skyrocket in price now.
manual-1050x641.jpg

So no more manual Audis and Mercedes. BMW is dropping them from future lineups except on the M2/3/4. So the only German cars with proper transmission will be Porsches and they cost a fuckton. What's a working class car enthusiast to do?

Subaru is getting rid of all manuals except for the WRX. Won't be long before they ax that too.....
Self driving cars for everyone will be the next step......

I heard a statistic the other day that only 17% of the American population knows how to drive a manual.

I used to dream about having a manual now I can't even think about getting one. I love automatic cars. Maybe I'm getting old.

Subaru is getting rid of all manuals except for the WRX. Won't be long before they ax that too.....
Self driving cars for everyone will be the next step......

I heard a statistic the other day that only 17% of the American population knows how to drive a manual.
they plan to make the next STI hybrid so who know if they fit a manual to that. That statistic accounts for the aging population that grew up learning it. Probably far less for people under 40. Among cars that offer both manual and automatic, only the Mustang and VW GTI achieve 50% manual take rate. Even Vettes are under 50%.

they plan to make the next STI hybrid so who know if they fit a manual to that. That statistic accounts for the aging population that grew up learning it. Probably far less for people under 40. Among cars that offer both manual and automatic, only the Mustang and VW GTI achieve 50% manual take rate. Even Vettes are under 50%.

That's insane.

Auto ftw. Learned with and drove manuals for years, but the modern autos are more capable than the average person trying to shift quickly. And in bumper to bumper traffic there's no fun in constant clutching

I hear ya TS. The sentimental side of me like the old stick shift but the automatics with the paddle shifters are quicker and more efficient aren't they? So its hard to buy a slower car just out of sentiment unless its a classic OLD car. The classic oldies should always have the stick.

Love driving manual, but city traffic is annoying. New automatic transmissions outperform a lot of manual ones these days too.

Who needs to read a manual anyway?

Don’t you already know how to drive a car?

<31>

Paddle shifters are fast but it's not as much fun without a clutch...it's hard to even whip a shitty with all the damn electronics. WTF you think I'm a driving a sports car for?

We have a stake-bed Nissan pickup that's stick at work and it never gets used because no one knows how to drive it, not even the old guys. They might just be saying that to get out of work though. I get overtime everytime they need to use it cause.im the only one that knows how to drive it

I still enjoy manuals even though I know that modern automatics surpass the performance of manuals. My choices are getting more limited. I hope the next gen Z and upcoming Toyota Supra will offer manual transmissions.

I can't stand manual transmission as daily driver is a pain, my first car was a stick shift and hated it, I remember being stuck on a hill with a stop light and sweating so I Didn't roll back and hit the car behind me, this was a stupid hill I had to pass through going to school hated it

Manual are a pain in the ass to drive, but its weird it took my time to learn to break habits while driving an auto, Id have one foot on the break and one on the gas by habit because when I used to drive stick id be used to my left on the clutch and I had a habit of breaking with my left foot especially when going up hill.

I heard somewhere that they are thinking of teaching driving students to drive like that now with one foot on the gas and one on the break instead of just switching over.

Last edited:
I'll take an automatic any day. I'll much rather cruise through heavy traffic with my radio on and my feet lightly tapping or completely off the paddles. Driving a manual especially in city traffic fucks up my knee.

Manual are a pain in the ass to drive, but its weird it took my time to learn to break habits while driving an auto, Id have one foot on the break and one on the gas by habit

{<huh}{<huh}{<huh}

How'd you even develop that habit? You don't even do that when driving a manual.

but I found out now they are teaching driving students to drive like that now with one foot on the gas and one on the break instead of just switching over.

<DontBelieve1>

But if true, we're looking at a heck of a lot more potential accidents.

https://jalopnik.com/audi-drops-remaining-manuals-in-u-s-a4-and-a5-models-1828446608
The only Audi manuals you could still get were the base A4 and A5 but they are dropping those next year- which means Audi's entire lineup will be AUTOMATICS. How the mighty have fallen. I rememeber test driving the TT-RS several years ago (a 5 cyl beast that can hit low 3 secs to 60 with just a flash), and that was only available with manual. A magical experience. Now they only make cars for soccer moms and accountants.

the R8 with gated shifter will probably skyrocket in price now.
manual-1050x641.jpg

So no more manual Audis and Mercedes. BMW is dropping them from future lineups except on the M2/3/4. So the only German cars with proper transmission will be Porsches and they cost a fuckton. What's a working class car enthusiast to do?

Easy. Get a subaru or a used evolution

Love driving manual, but city traffic is annoying. New automatic transmissions outperform a lot of manual ones these days too.

I drive manual in the densest traffic in America and wouldn't trade it for automatic. No excuses.
I still enjoy manuals even though I know that modern automatics surpass the performance of manuals. My choices are getting more limited. I hope the next gen Z and upcoming Toyota Supra will offer manual transmissions.
https://jalopnik.com/the-new-toyota-supra-definitely-wont-have-a-manual-1823557329

Back