Audi drops remaining manuals in their lineup

In China, cars didn't really get popular until maybe ten of fifteen years ago, when automatics were already dominant.
This is incorrect, cars have been popular in China for over 25 years

So far they only declared that for the Australian market. Maybe they have really high federalization costs so decided to ship one transmission? No way they do that for the US market with its diehard traditionalist VW fans who are resistant of change.

The only reason the Focus ST (and RS) came in stick only is because Ford doesnt have a reliable dual clutch transmission. The next one will probably have that option but it won't come to the US anyway.

There are seismic changes coming to the auto industry and cars will be vastly different in 10 years.
Most people that drive STs and the RS (I have an RS) specifically want a manual, it wouldn't make sense for Ford to waste money on developing one and making the car more expensive.

The only car in the top end hot hatches+STIs that have an auto/DCT option is the golf r.
And again, your point is that left-foot braking is common in racing, which I've agreed with you and given you what I believe is the reason.

And to reference the very link you sent me

So unless Tidwell is a race car driver, otherwise it's ridiculous for someone to have been used to driving with left-foot braking in a manual transmission car.
I never said left foot braking is better, only that it isn't automatically bad. Just like techniques such as heel toeing, just because you don't HAVE to do it in day to day driving doesn't mean it has no place.

That's because the Japanese have had car culture since shortly after the war. In China, cars didn't really get popular until maybe ten of fifteen years ago, when automatics were already dominant.

Don't know why some Americans are so fetishitic about manual transmissions. Modern ones may as well be automatic anyway with all gears synchro'ed, easy clutches, auto-rev matching and hill holder brakes.
a lot of the people in this thread complaining about manual in traffic have never driven a newer car with a modern manual transmission. You're right that today's manuals are much more forgiving and easier to daily than previous eras. But they are still engaging because all 4 limbs are working harmoniously together. That's why automatics are so dull- regardless of their sporting intentions or power, all you need is your left hand and right foot. Also your mind zones out because you dont have to anticipate changes in road condition and prepare for the proper gear.

Most people that drive STs and the RS (I have an RS) specifically want a manual, it wouldn't make sense for Ford to waste money on developing one and making the car more expensive.

The only car in the top end hot hatches+STIs that have an auto/DCT option is the golf r.

I never said left foot braking is better, only that it isn't automatically bad. Just like techniques such as heel toeing, just because you don't HAVE to do it in day to day driving doesn't mean it has no place.
Yes, and the Golf R has over 50% take rate for their DSG. Ford is desperate for cash flow so they are aware of all the potential buyers they lost.

It is dumb to invest in that now when the entire industry is shifting to EV anyway.

I heard a statistic the other day that only 17% of the American population knows how to drive a manual.

My second was a manual and it was a pain in the ass. It was an older car. My dad taught me how to drive it and he's a dick teaching me anything so it was even worse. I hated it honestly. Driving to the corner store felt a choir instead of something quick and easy.

I have an automatic Audi right now and I miss my old manual BMW. Kinda sucks because one of these days I was hoping to buy a new Audi. They're the only brand I've liked over the last 10 years or so in terms of dem aesthetics

My DD is a '08 Subaru Forester XT 5-speed, I love it.

90% of my cars have been stick, I coundn't imagine not driving one

Manufacturers have to provide long term warranties to sell vehicles and they don't want to warranty clutches. They can't control the way people drive them. I've driven both in my over 50 years of driving and I don't find much difference in them. I only use the clutch for starting and stopping. Using a clutch while moving is for rookies .

After driving a proper DCT BMW E92 M3 on the track I lost my love for manual.

Even the 10 speed automatic Mustang GT 5.0 are putting up better numbers on the automatic tunes.

I have a '17 S3. I was initially hesitant to even look at it because it only came w/ DCT and I thought i was a manual transmission purist. However, after test driving it.. I was hooked and sold immediately. Shifts are lightning quick and rev matching on downshifts are a nice bonus. Launch control is pretty sweet too.

Automatic is the future.....or am I jist getting old?

I really hate manual transmission when it comes to dealing with traffic.

Antiquated technology. I personally do not enjoy driving manual. Not a loss to me.

With that said I know many that do think highly of manual shifters. I believe manuals can still be found in Corvettes and Mustangs. I have a friend with a new Mustang, manual shifter, and it's all love and praise.

My daily is a manual but when I have a little bit of cash I want to get a new daily with quality paddle shifts and save the racecar for special occasions

Subaru is getting rid of all manuals except for the WRX. Won't be long before they ax that too.....
Self driving cars for everyone will be the next step......

I heard a statistic the other day that only 17% of the American population knows how to drive a manual.

17 percent?!?! Wtf? It's not even hard... I guess if you never had a chance to try using one.

Pfft, manuals are for plebs and poor people. A good automatic is faster anyways.

This is incorrect, cars have been popular in China for over 25 years

You are saying that back in 1993 there was significant car culture and cars were being bought by car enthusiasts in China? No way.

As recently at the early 2000s most cars were either commercial and government use or else had drivers/chauffeurs. Nobody drove for pleasure. Car culture isn't even really a thing right now (well, as status symbols maybe) and definitely didn't start penetrating until the rise of a middle class after 2000.

I have an automatic Audi right now and I miss my old manual BMW. Kinda sucks because one of these days I was hoping to buy a new Audi. They're the only brand I've liked over the last 10 years or so in terms of dem aesthetics
19gppsyw8tccujpg.jpg

Audi's design philosophy- make identical jelly bean shaped cars of varying lengths.

After driving a proper DCT BMW E92 M3 on the track I lost my love for manual.

Even the 10 speed automatic Mustang GT 5.0 are putting up better numbers on the automatic tunes.
drive a 6 speed Lotus on the track and you will return to the manual fold.

I'm pretty sure my manual helped my car not get stolen years ago. The lock was popped, the door opened easily, but they took absolutely nothing from the inside. It really seemed like they wanted to steal it but realized it was a stick and just bailed.

Anyway, I love manual as well. Nothing like revving it to 5k when you're pissed off, or any type of shifting that matches your mood.

I'm pretty sure my manual helped my car not get stolen years ago. The lock was popped, the door opened easily, but they took absolutely nothing from the inside. It really seemed like they wanted to steal it but realized it was a stick and just bailed.

Anyway, I love manual as well. Nothing like revving it to 5k when you're pissed off, or any type of shifting that matches your mood.
vz4een3shf0otrdjz7lj.Jpg

https://jalopnik.com/badass-woman-escapes-kidnappers-using-a-manual-transmis-1797361511
sisctfuzb0btgqn5snjp.png

According to newspaper The State, 20-year-old Jordan Dinsmore found herself in one of the worst situations possible when three men approached her, pushed her to the ground and put a gun to her head. The publication reports that they forced her to drive her car and withdraw money from an ATM and then told her that she was going to be taken to a location to be raped.

But Dinsmore had one advantage, The State reports—when the men first put her into the car they couldn’t drive it because it had a manual transmission, so they made her take the driver’s seat. That is when she concocted a plan to escape. After she withdrew $300 out of the ATM, she got back into the car and left her seatbelt off, she hoped her kidnappers didn’t notice the seatbelt alarm chiming.

One of the men instructed her to drive to his relatives’ house so one of his friends could have sex with her.

The Slate reports that she purposefully missed the turn and rolled her car into the intersection, threw her car in neutral, then she opened the door and jumped out, while the vehicle was moving at 35 mph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back